Death Metal

Nespithe would not make my top 10 death metal albums. Not saying it's not a cool album, but it is still acquired taste even for Death Metal fans. It's really not a classic album like say Altars of Madness is. Altars of Madness is extreme for the time and influential when it comes to extreme music in general.

You're quoting terrible sites and magazines that really don't represent metalheads who've delved beyond the surface.

That's my exact point. Nespithe hasn't cracked above the surface, and IMO it totally should. It should be an album that gets mentioned even by mags and rags that aren't dedicated to the depths of the subgenre. There's a handful of albums that fairly regularly pop up on "best of death" lists and Nespithe should be.

Dodens, yep! Because I've heard all of those "classic" albums, and as much as I like 'em, this absolutely ranks amongst them, and is better than many. Hearing it was a revelation, to my ears, especially considering it's from 199-goddam-3. My first thought was "why haven't I had this album shoved down my throat a hundred times like Tomb of the Mutilated and Legion?"

Yeah, but my point is, even with album that have been designated as "classic" albums, you can't really fully understand or appreciate a work and whether it's truly great, or truly terrible, after listening to it, like, one time. You need to give yourself time to absorb it and understand it before you go after others with a pitchfork defending it.

You do make a fair point, although I will say (in my defense) that it's more than just "I really like this" and a lot of "no one was doing this then, but a shitload of people are doing it NOW" that really cemented it home for me. I mean, no joke, there are at least a dozen albums I just plain enjoy more, but I'd never venture to insist they be on top ten lists.

This was a case of me hearing it and suddenly feeling like I discovered Lucy in Mesopotamia, y'know?

But fair point enough! I'll keep listening, letting it sink in, etc. :)

^ There's quite a few Finnish albums you should try now that you've found Nesphite. This is one of them (Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia):

Rippikoulu_-_Musta_Seremonia.jpg

Other albums you should consider:

- Convulse - World Without God
- Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
- Adramelech - Psychostasia
- Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
- Funebre - Children of the Scorn
- Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation

It's Nespithe btw, I know some versions say Nesphite on the spine, but it's a typo. It means "The Spine" (NE / SPI / THE reversed = THE / SPI / NE).

(Edit: Erecshyrinol = ERE / CSH / YRI / NOL = NOL / YRI / CSH / ERE = No Lyrics Here)

Nah, that list is pretty mediocre and safe. Plus, who honestly believes that Nile has released anything worthy of being in a top 40, let alone top 400. No Incantation either? What the fuck.

Actually, I just took a look at the list, and considering the source, it's damn good. The inclusions are far more important than the omissions.

Nah, that list is pretty mediocre and safe. Plus, who honestly believes that Nile has released anything worthy of being in a top 40, let alone top 400. No Incantation either? What the fuck.

The lack of Incantation is bad, yeah, but I do think Nile deserves a spot. Once they picked up George the band became incredible.

Whadda we got that's "zombie" metal? Not necessarily "about zombies", but that kind of sound? I'm talking Incantation, Mortician, Zombie Inc, Mausoleum, etc?

I can actually understand how you got into Nespithe so fast, it's really catchy and fun to listen to from the getgo. It's nothing like something like Morpheus Descends, which is much more exhausting to listen to before you've memorized it.