Death Metal

the in flames/dark tranquillity/at the gates triumvirate basically murdered that style before the nineties even ended. i think it probably does exist somewhere but it's hard to find when hardly anyone's looking for it and nobody knows what to call it.

night in gales aren't bad IMO, re: cig

i quite like these guys:

Reactions: CiG
I don’t think In Flames ever really made the type of winding melodic death he’s talking about. Lunar Strain is the closest, but even then, songs are mostly short and concise. And it's not as good as Skydancer or the first two At the Gates.

Having said that, this still has pretty short and concise songs, but I remember it being quite good. Not listened to in it a long time.

Dawn of Dreams - Darklight Awakening

Let me know what you think.

I don’t think In Flames ever really made the type of winding melodic death he’s talking about.

I think what he meant was that In Flames/At the Gates/Dark Tranquillity *killed* the style of melodeath I like by popularizing the style that is dominant today.

I'll check out the album you posted but I wouldn't call 2000 "modern" exactly (that's the same year Oracle Moon was released.)

Well yeah, it's not modern. I don't really know much modern in this style, because the modern production kills it for me a lot of the time so I tend to avoid it. It's just something to add to my other list They are also German, which is non-standard for the style.

There's this rather obscure band from the US called Council of the Fallen, definitely more death metally, but you might like. This song is from their 2002 album:

Pay particular attention to 2:50 - 3:30 and then 3:30 - end.

From their 2004 album:

Dawn of Dreams - Darklight Awakening

Let me know what you think.

Enjoying this, has that whirlwind riffage thing going on and the drums slay.

What does everybody think of Wintersun?

This album isn't really anything like the melodeath bands mentioned, it's melodic death/thrash I guess. But this was a contender for my top 10 albums of last year at some point. Pretty good shit, never really heard anything else like it:

There's a lot from this year I haven't heard yet, so cut me some slack. And I think that Cathexia was just posted like a week ago anyway lol. And I've never listened to Wintersun, ever. Actually, most of those bands you listed I've never heard. The closest I come to melodic death metal is like Intestine Baalism and Lykathea Aflame. Not my type of DM at all.

There's a lot from this year I haven't heard yet, so cut me some slack. And I think that Cathexia was just posted like a week ago anyway lol. And I've never listened to Wintersun, ever. Actually, most of those bands you listed I've never heard. The closest I come to melodic death metal is like Intestine Baalism and Lykathea Aflame. Not my type of DM at all.

youtube of the aforementioned ripped to shreds, their album's among the best DM i've heard this year:

Here's some links to 2018 albums I haven't seen posted much, if at all, in this thread, including some of the bigger names, mainly for convenience. Let's begin. New Zealotry coming soon. The band describes themselves as "FFO : early Atrocity, The Chasm, Brutality, Gorguts (EROSION OF SANITY), Disincarnate, early Monstrosity, Timeghoul", so if that doesn't interest you, I don't think anything really will.

New Bloodbath.

Beyond Creation.

Construct of Lethe

Funeratus, scorching Brazilian death!

Ghastly, almost psychedelic Finnish death metal that harkens to the spirit of olde Finndeath bands, Depravity, Funebre, etc.

Horrendous

Infuriate is a lot different than the other bands I've posted here. Golden Age-styled brutal death in the vein of bands like Deeds of Flesh, Severed Savior, or Suffocation.

Lago

Monstrosity

Runemagick

Serocs, FFO : Severed Savior, Disavowed, Odious Mortem, Cabinet-Era Spawn of Possession.

Putrisect

This Ripped to Shreds song y'all told me to check out is doing absolutely nothing for me. Vocals are weak and overly-reverbed, and I really hate punk beats in death metal, and that's primarily what this is. The few blasts they do have feel like they're played at half speed. It's alright Swedeath styled stuff, but nothing about it stands out to me among the 600 others out there right now. That's frankly never been my favorite style anyway, and with the huge trend of bands playing the hell out of it, I have basically zero desire to hear anything in this style. Some cool riffs, and it's fairly dynamic, which is more than most bands that ape that style can say, but mostly a swing and a miss for me, fellas. I'm listening to the full album on YouTube and I'm really struggling to let it keep playing, there's nothing here that makes me want to hear any more of it.

I didn't look to see who it was, I'm just getting stoned in my garage after work, I don't care THAT much hahaha. I'm about to go through and listen to the ones I posted that I haven't heard yet, including that Runemagick! I heard a snippet before the whole thing was released and it sounded killer.