Death Metal

Detrimental did a split with FETAL Decay, not Fatal Decay.

herpderp lmfao.

The Rebaelliun mention was probably me, as that's one of my favorite styles of DM, and I actually prefer Rebaelliun to the much-more-known Krisiun. Check out either of their first two albums, Burn the Promised Land or Annihilation. Utter obliteration.

Will do! I've only started to come around to Krisiun in the last year tbh.

Are there any particularly standout albums where Melodic/Prog/Tech Death converge? I'm thinking of a sound in the vein of Witherscape, Beyond Creation, Alkaloid, Obscura, Shylmagoghnar, and Be'lakor. I'd prefer harsh vocals, solid production and melodies neither veering too hard in the tech death direction (Obscura & Alkaloid are pushing my limits there) but a little more in-your-face and less "proggy" than say Opeth/Gojira/Ne Obliscaris.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure yo already know that a bunch of those bands you mentioned have new albums this year. Augury has anew album out this year too but i still havent got to it.

new Gorod maybe...

Reactions: Draehl
Nice. Looking forward to hearing what Gorod have got up their sleeve this time. Wasn't the biggest fan of A Maze of Recycled Creeds.

I realized when making my 2018 top list that it's way more loaded with death metal than normal since I'm normally not the biggest fan. Listening to the new Sulphur Aeon right now and it's solid if a bit derivative of their last record. Beyond Creation(yum), Alkaloid, Obscura, Ascension, and Ataraxy were all pretty great.

Gorod was a big letdown though, at least compared to Maze & Transcendence. I also don't get the hype behind The Rivers of Nihil. It was a good album that perhaps had wide appeal, but IMO doesn't really knock anything out of the park.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
A year ago I would have said there's no chance Ulcerate would be something you'd enjoy, but you seem more receptive to the style of death metal they play these days so who knows!

Reactions: CiG

Uploader labelled it an EP but it's a demo. Canadian band who released this and split up, former members of Orchidectomy, Ataxia, Heaven Ablaze, Blood of Christ, Involuntary Convulsion etc. Brutal stuff.