Death Metal

Asphodelus plays a genuinely convincing form of old Katatonia death/doom, with some other influences here and there. They're who immediately come to mind.

Ataraxy are a strange beast. They shifted from classic "old school" death metal to incorporating early death/doom influences and crafting that magnificent and quite original album. Hard to really recommend a similar band beyond just recommending the older bands inspiring them nowadays.

Some others you might like:

Sounds interesting, cheers! I could only listen to a few minutes as I’m getting ready for work. Production didn’t seem to be that bad! Will investigate further.

Speaking of him, I had a really bizarre dream where I was browsing the forums and got excited to see his name posting again! It’s actually kinda sad how excited I was in the dream about that.

His arguments with CiG were mostly entertaininig.

I wasn’t always convinced he was as old as he said he was, although I got the vibe he was definitely older than the average person here.

idk, is it really that surprising that a full grown adult got into metal in the 80s, is still listening to it now, and somehow find an internet forum?

It’s not that hard to believe, or surprising. I definitely plan on still listening to metal into my later years! There were just times I felt he came across as if he was in late 30s or early to mid 40s than the 60 he said.

H.P. Lovecraft (the poster) is a teetotaler which is for me a good indication he is who he says he is. Most younger people attracted to an idea like that would probably instead identify as "straight edge."

He was a great guy to have around regardless. And I genuinely hope nothing sinister has happened to him.

Hopefully he’s somewhere right now in his bullet belt headbanging to some Venom!

There was also this Internally Deformed guy, who, if I remember correctly, loved The Chasm. And all of a sudden he was gone. Just like Lovecraft and this one guy who appeared out of nowhere together with Internally Deformed. Good times. The forum was pretty much alive back then.

Reactions: Phylactery
there was that batlord guy, and mrtagomago, and that dipshit who went on about how harsh vocals are a pox on metal, guiltyspawn or something? not to mention that uneasy_conscience/pitiless wanderer guy who quit and slagged us off on MA 'cause we laughed at him for making judgements on graveland after 'fastforwarding' through their albums or something lol. and sloughfegkillers/jontrevolting who had good taste in my book but had a chip on his shoulder about the fake ass know nothing downloaders of GMD.

i wonder if vilden will ever come back.

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery
I liked Internally Deformed and Vilden, although Vilden seemed to think you only ever needed to bother listening to 10-15 albums per subgenre of metal and basically everything else was filler. MrTagoMago was okay, but he just constantly posted stuff in the Controversial Opinions Thread every 5 minutes slagging off established classics.

Dazed and Brutal, Manic Ferocity, Anom@nder Rake and EternalMetal should post more and Slayed Necros hasn't been very active recently!

Although I think everyone here should make more substantial posts than just posting an album or song in the kicking your ass thread. I am guilty of this sometimes, but I also try to make the effort!

that uneasy_conscience/pitiless wanderer guy who quit and slagged us off on MA 'cause we laughed at him for making judgements on graveland after 'fastforwarding' through their albums or something lol.

Lmao I remember that. He said he listened to over 10,000 death metal albums in a year or something ridiculous and it was probably by fastforwarding through them :lol:

There aren't even 10,000 death metal albums in existence, unless you're counting every single garbage ass band on the planet, or every single demo/split/EP or whatever.