Death Metal

Checked these guys out for the first time today and really fucking enjoyed it. Non-Swedeath Swedish (technical?) death metal. The drums especially are utterly punishing and perfect. :kickass:

Best band that carried on with the Morbid Angel/early Deicide sound. The Apostate is equally excellent.

Reactions: CiG
Okay first some new discoveries of not-new-shit. This is a bunch of shit I've stumbled across over the last couple of weeks and I basically went on a southern binge as you can see:

Extremely Rotten (Florida): Face-melting brutality, I plan to check out the band's other shit but for now I'm just blasting this one and not getting tired of it. I love the constantly changing tempo so much!

Detrimental (Texas): This link is their side of the split they did with Fetal Decay. Super dry-sounding caveman brutal death metal sickness. Basement as all fuck.

Rottenness (Mexico): Pure fucking butchery with some very very slight grinding bits, but to me it sounds mostly like no nonsense brutal death metal.

Necrocide (Texas): To me this sounds like straight up Cannibal Corpse worship, great fucking riffing. Sounds almost like a transitional track between The Bleeding and Vile or something.

Disencumbrance (Texas): I think maybe morgue has posted this before, because the video already had a 'like' from me on it. Anyway, sick shit with great cymbal work and demented usage of dual vocals.

mē◦āt◦َus (Texas): This album is fucking insane and stylistically all over the place in exactly the kind of zany psychopathic way I love to hear in death metal. I've only gotten through the album once but it really left a mark.

This is what I've been listening to lately and pretty much jamming constantly at work or at home:

Cronaxia (Portugal): Death metal on the technical side with fucking amazing drumming and non-stop riffing. For me this is definitely on the stronger side of 2018 death metal, the bassist fucking kills it too, great shit.

Iron Flesh (France): Totally shredding and buzzing death metal that kinda reminds me of Nihilist and Grave. At first I thought this was a step down from their prior EP but after a few more listens it's really growing on me. I love some of the melodic lead work over the filthy riffing, really creates a nice sound.

Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha (Canada): Weird as fuck melodic death metal with some grinding elements and a kind of progressive disposition towards the ideas. Honestly hard to pigeonhole this one, but I think I love it and it's played by this guy!

3540380401_photo.jpg

Conveyor (Poland): This band was an exciting find for me! Though still quite amateurish they have some incredible ideas whirling around on this album and with time could be a great experimental/technical death metal band. Anybody who loves the awkward charm of bands like Disharmonic Orchestra don't sleep on this one, really fucking cool band.

You all know these guys (I hope) and I've been delving into their discography which I slept on forever and ever. I've been stuck on this album and haven't moved on yet, because I don't feel like I'm ready to. This shit just destroys everything and then rolls its treads over the broken remains. Absolute annihilation in musical form.

Mordeth (Brazil): One of my personal favourite death metal bands, this is their new (mini?) album which comes with their 2009 EP Robotic Dreams tacked on to the end (so roughly 28 minutes of new material). I have no doubt this will rank high in my 2018 albums list, this is some really special progressive death metal. There's not a lot of info about the release which is frustrating, I'd like to know more about it.

Last edited:
I'm making up for lost time with 'em. The in-crowd trap of focusing on debuts has fucked me over with both The Chasm and Krisiun because I was underwhelmed by their debuts and lost any enthusiasm to buy other albums. #NeverAgain #ImpeachDebuts

That Mordeth song was quite good instrumentally. Although I wasn't really digging what the vocalist was bringing to the party.

-Extremely Rotten is cool but that demo is probably their best shit. Nothing else is really that interesting.
-You're referring to Fetal Decay.
-Disencumbrance is really cool, one of the sickest Christian bands. Even had Kevin of Devourment and Sintury on guitar.
-Members of Necrocide later formed Devourment, as well.
-Krisiun rules. Ever check out Rebaelliun?

Are there any particularly standout albums where Melodic/Prog/Tech Death converge? I'm thinking of a sound in the vein of Witherscape, Beyond Creation, Alkaloid, Obscura, Shylmagoghnar, and Be'lakor. I'd prefer harsh vocals, solid production and melodies neither veering too hard in the tech death direction (Obscura & Alkaloid are pushing my limits there) but a little more in-your-face and less "proggy" than say Opeth/Gojira/Ne Obliscaris.

Thanks!

Are there any particularly standout albums where Melodic/Prog/Tech Death converge? I'm thinking of a sound in the vein of Witherscape, Beyond Creation, Alkaloid, Obscura, Shylmagoghnar, and Be'lakor. I'd prefer harsh vocals, solid production and melodies neither veering too hard in the tech death direction (Obscura & Alkaloid are pushing my limits there) but a little more in-your-face and less "proggy" than say Opeth/Gojira/Ne Obliscaris.

Thanks!
Death's Human onwards (Symbolic was a particular victim of riff stealing by Obscura)
Arsis.
Augury is too obvious? If you dig Augury, the second Unexpected album should be good too.
Benighted, especially Identisick
Some of the Later Hypocrisy albums, like Virus and A Taste of Extreme Divinity might also work.

-You're referring to Fetal Decay.

?

-Krisiun rules. Ever check out Rebaelliun?

Only very briefly! I think some cunt around here mentioned them or shared a link, I liked what I heard though.

Thanks!

It's not exactly what you asked for but it is progressive and it is technical death metal, it also mixes up vocals between harsh and clean, throws groove and jazziness into the mix and has a nice audible bass. I have to rec this as it's one of the greatest things I've ever heard personally.

Detrimental did a split with FETAL Decay, not Fatal Decay. Early shit is cool Dying Fetus worship, but the new shit is really bland.

The Rebaelliun mention was probably me, as that's one of my favorite styles of DM, and I actually prefer Rebaelliun to the much-more-known Krisiun. Check out either of their first two albums, Burn the Promised Land or Annihilation. Utter obliteration.

I love the fuck out of that demo, but the guy asked for LESS proggy than Opeth hahaha that Ferocity is like the proggiest shit on the planet!! Definitely something I think every fan of technical or progressive death metal should hear though.

Reactions: CiG