Death Metal

What Death Metal bands/albums have your favorite drumming ?

Dan Swanö's drumming on Bloodbath `RTC and Breeding Death. I prefere traditional DM drumming because it's much more rythmnic and groovy than someone hitting a snare really fast,etc.. and constantly changing beats which makes it impossible for me to get into something. I find Dan's drumming very rhythmic and really get into it. I have heard people complain about his drumming because it's not fast but do not see what speed has to do with anything nor feel it makes a drummer less good or bad.

Amorphis `the karelian isthmus

Celtic Frost `to mega therion

Edge of Sanity `purgatory afterglow. Benny Larsson is my favorite DM drummer of all time.

Autopsy `mental funeral. Chris Reifert is an amazing drummer.

Adramelech `psychostasia. Very unique original drumming and really the only problem is the snare being flat and if was tight and higher sounding would be perfect.

Unleashed `across the open sea

Darkthrone `soulside journey. Interesting drumming patterns fills,etc.., the only time Fenriz shows he can actually play drums. very interesting

Morbid Angel `altars of madness. Pete demenstrates the perfect blend of traditionalism and extremes.

I like both styles, cause I like old and new death metal but if I must to choose, I prefer more technical drumming like Gene Hoglan, Sean Reinert, Richard Christy, Hans Nilsson (Luciferion), etx

I second Christy and Hoglan.
Also Derek Roddie, Inferno, George Kollias, Pete Sandoval.
Тechnique owns, but drummer should also sound interesting.

I like Sean and Gene just have not listened to anything with either of them on it in awile. Sean Reinert blows Hoglan and Christy out of the water on the hand.

I just finished listening to Sympathy - Anagogic Tyranny. It's so much stronger and more varied than all the previous ones now that it's finally a full band.

I find that most Finnish death metal tends to be top notch. Especially the likes of the following albums:

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Adramelech - Psychostasia
Demilich - Nespithe
Disgrace - Grey Misery (as V5 mentioned)
Convulse - World Without God (some people find this album generic for some reason but I think the raw production and fuzzed out guitar tone give it a pretty significantly evil sound that most death metal bands can't capture)
Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation
Funebre - Children of the Scorn
Sentenced - Shadows of the Past

Awesome Finnish DM a lot of people probably don't like because it's too "br00tal"...Disgrace - Grey Misery

Those people would be retards. 'The Chasm' has one of the most dismal riffs I've ever heard.

I also agree that Finland beats Sweden as far as quality goes. Don't forget about Cartilage's The Fragile Concept of Affection. Easily one of the top three Finnish Death Metal releases. Fucking fantastic stuff.

Thanks...much appreciated. :cool:

Do you own an actual physical copy of it? It's seriously one of the only albums I have not ONCE come across on eBay.

I just finished listening to Sympathy - Anagogic Tyranny. It's so much stronger and more varied than all the previous ones now that it's finally a full band.

I really really need to get this. 'Arcane Path' was a great mix of brutal death with some unexpected symphonic and black elements. Solid songwriting the whole way through.