Death Metal

Listening to Timeghoul's "Tumultuous Travellings" demo and goddamn this stuff is awesome. Very unlike other death metal I've heard and better than quite a bit. One unique feature is the singer often goes into these clean vocal/chant bits that really add to the atmosphere. This is some really good early 90s USDM

http://www.myspace.com/timeghoul

Timeghoul is revered for good reason. I love their mix of somber, majestic death/doom with blasting grindy sections...a brilliant band for sure. I can't wait for their stuff to be rereleased.

I love death metal! I like too many DM bands to list them all. My favorite, though, is Cannibal Corpse, and I have a particular love for brutal slam bands like Devourment, Abominable Putridity, Guttural Secrete...shit like that. Random thought: I didn't have very high expectations for Bloodbath, but I listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'm lovin' it. Currently digging Vital Remains quite a lot, as well.

Catacombs of the grotesque, it really has a new death feel to it and not a huge fan of that. No real atmosphere, just all over the place...will have to give it another listen tonight

"Fragmentary Evidence" is a good album if you are into the more technical side of death metal. It's brutal as hell for sure killer vocals and just powerful music in general. But like so many other tech death bands alot of their music (guitars, bass lines) just seems so self indulgent at points. Not in just some songs but in every song and it gets tireing after awhile. Plus it also comes dangerously to sounding like deathcore, but that is a whole seperate issue.