Death or melodic? Which one brought you to Opeth?

An online friend of mine from Canada sent me "The Apostle in triumph". I was pretty young at that point and hadn't discovered the "metal underground" so this type of music was pretty new to me. I was hooked the first time I listened to the track and have been ever since. I can't say weather it was the death or the melodic part that hooked me; I think it was a mix of the two. But if the question if was where I have my background I would definately have to answer; METAL. I probably wouldn't have heard about the band if I hadn't already explored the metal-scene. At first I thought the melodic-mellow part were pretty gay.. But I was young and dumb :)

When I first started getting into metal prolly about 5 or 6 years ago, I heard Blackwater Park at a party I was at. I didnt get to hear it very much but I very much liked what I heard and made it a mission to get the cd. But the only one I could find was Morningrise which I didnt care too much for at first. Until I sat down and "actually" listened to Black Rose Immortal...holy shit after that it was just a countdown to when I had all of their albums...so i'd say it was the Death metal that got me into them

Melodic. I went from listening to Iron Maiden to Iced Earth to Arch Enemy to Opeth. That's the VERY short story of it, at any rate.

well what captured me at first sight was Morningrise's front cover, and then I have listened it and I was f***ing amazed

Not only the Paladian Bridge, also that lake and the atmosphere of the picture.
One of the greatest pictures I have ever seen in my life.:kickass:

hearing samples of damnation on amazon got me interested in the band. The heavyer stuff took a while for me to get into but once i got into it there was no turning back.

Since getting into opeth my musicial journey has never been the same. Opened the door to prog, more extreme metal, folk,acoustic, electronica, and anything else the door has opened to. im more open minded.

Death. The first Opeth song i herd was When and that blew me away then i saw the live video of it. So then i herd the Album title Morningrise and i knew the band was death metal so i love the combination with metal forest stuff and dawn breaking shit like that Then i just bought the Morningrise record and that's my favorite!

It suits the atmosphere of Morningrise perfectly.

YES IT DOES! finally someone who knows what I dear so much to that cover. I bought the Morningrse shirt just cause of that cover. It suites them soo perfectly with that eerie bridge and scary water and just how amazing it looks love it

I was about 16 back in 2001 when I first heard Opeth and it blew me away. I had been listening to some metal, not much though - early In Flames and mid-era Metallica for the most part. I was clueless about real metal and didn't really like death metal screams, although I enjoyed the music. Then I heard "Benighted" and was intrigued. But I quickly forgot about it.

Then all of a sudden a friend sent me mp3s of "April Ethereal", "The Drapery Falls" and "Demon Of The Fall". On listening to them I felt as if I was experiencing something incredible. I immediately went and bought My Arms Your Hearse, and listened to it repeatedly, sometimes twice a day, often in the dark while lying on my bed and letting every note sink in.

Eventually I bought Blackwater Park, Morningrise, Still Life and Orchid. And of course every other Opeth album as it came out. I loved them all and still do, although none of them gave me the impact that MAYH does. This year I'm seeing them for the third time; they are easily my favourite band and have been now for eight years. A friend at work has the "O" tattooed across the side of his throat and my first thought was "why didn't I think of that?!?" My leather jacket has an Opeth back patch, and it's my most prized possession.

They opened my eyes to real metal and since then I have found first a tolerance and then a strong appreciation for much, much more music both heavier and softer - but I can't say it was either melodic music or death metal that made me love Opeth, it was just the exhilerating emotion in the music of "April Ethereal" that still moves me incredibly today. It's the only time I can actually say music has completely made my jaw drop.

These days I listen mainly to black metal or doom metal, and on the softer side of things prog and post-rock, but Opeth will always stand above it all.

Was playing an internet game when I was 12 where a friend of mine sent me deliverance (the song) I told him I really liked it so he sent me harvest and I think the contrast between those two songs was what caught my interest in the band

I actually found them because I was looking for melodic death metal like Amon Amarth... lololz much.

Like digging for tinfoil and finding gold!