Deathspell Omega - Fas- Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

I absolutely love this album. I've been jogging to it for the past week, and every listen I enjoy it more and more.

Anybody change their mind on the album?

I absolutely love this album. I've been jogging to it for the past week, and every listen I enjoy it more and more.

Anybody change their mind on the album?

Jogging to it? I don't think I'd be able to go out in public while listening to it, lest the urge to violently lash out at someone that the album gives me (in a good way) becomes too overwhelming. That said, I haven't listened to it in a while, but I recently ordered it in a haul, so I'm sure it will become the soundtrack for my 6 am commute to work (ergo, bitch better get out of the fast lane or else she's getting an assfull of steel and rubber).

The combination of ambient and chaos is just perfect for a run. Not to mention that I can keep my mind off the run for the entire album.

The combination of ambient and chaos is just perfect for a run. Not to mention that I can keep my mind off the run for the entire album.

Strange/irrelevant coincidence: I've never in my life run while listening to music (but I have done a lot of running), but a few days ago I decided to try it, and that very DSO album was the one that I decided for. It didn't work though, but I don't think that it was because of the album itself.

I run just for fun, so I love putting on an album I know fairly good, and one that is quite drawn out. Fas just fits so perfect because I can pay attention to very minute details and catch some subtleties that I don't hear while otherwise listening.

Great Deceiver asked for a bump...

...so I am going to ask all those who like this album WTF you guys see in this shit? It;s just a bunch of dissonant noise imho. Is it REALLY worth the time/effort to fully absorb this fucking mess?

...so I am going to ask all those who like this album WTF you guys see in this shit? It;s just a bunch of dissonant noise imho. Is it REALLY worth the time/effort to fully absorb this fucking mess?

I wouldn't tell you to keep listening to it in case you're wasting your time, but I know for me that I liked it immediately and have enjoyed it more on repeated listens.

listened to it today and think it kicks more ass than ever...easy to see why it's such a hit-or-miss kinda deal though. i like their sound a lot, and the dissonance is indispensable to the atmosphere they're going for. i see it in the same ballpark as stuff like beherit and even attila's vocals on de mysteriis, at least in terms of raw ugliness, and i think it fits the subject matter quite well....this is fucking black metal, people, it's supposed to be fucking abrasive! should we expect it to sound pleasant? imo hell no, but i appreciate that that's a huge hurdle to overcome. that said, there are quite a number of parts scattered throughout every song where they shift into some real headbanging riffs, the kind of shit that makes the hair on my neck stand up.

they certainly have a characteristic "sound" that i like, they really bring it in terms of consistency, and above all this shit is pure evil. add to that the only intro piece i've ever heard that justifies hitting the 4 minute mark and i call it a winner. maybe it's worth your time, maybe not.

^ The two posts above pretty much cover my thoughts. Fas is one of my absolute favs of the year.

The new Graveland, on the other hand, is one of the worst. [/let's see if J. bites, shall we?]

haha, too easy.

One creates music, the other creates noise.
One is an institution, the other an inferior band of its previous self.
I'll leave you to figure out which is which.

I digress, I won't bite. :loco:

It took a while to get into this album, but when it hit, it hit. But then, after growing and climaxing over about a month of heavy listening, it seems to have lost its power.

I'm going to say the greatest fruit bore by black metal's infernal womb this year of our lord is De Contemplanda Morte.

It took a while for me to "get it", but ever since I did (about 2 months ago) I've listened to it basically once a day. Album of the year imo

Anyone heard of this? I had no idea that they had no less than two official re-releases out just now:

Northern Heritage said:
NH-055 Deathspell Omega "Manifestations 2000-2001" CD
It has been in the works for years, but here is finally the official CD version of the early Deathspell Omega material that was available on vinyl only as of today. It gathers the songs included on the splits with Moonblood, Mütiilation and the Black Metal Blitzkrieg V/A LP : by far the most primitive material of all and in all aspects, pure underground Black Metal. No unreleased songs : if you own the vinyls, this is of little relevance for you!

NH-056 Deathspell Omega "Manifestations 2002" CD
This contains the last and most intense manifestations of the first era of the band, 8 unreleased songs, initially intended to be featured on the Crushing the Holy Trinity V/A and on a cancelled split with defunct Cantus Bestiae. Harsh and in the style of a more frantic "Inquisitors of Satan", some of these ideas have developed to sketches for later recordings. LP version coming later.

The second one especially seems very interesting

Oh, and a neat little shirt as well to make the co-worker in the stall next to you go wide-eyed and realize that you're more than meets the eye

DSO-manifest-shirt.jpg