Defining Metal Genres Thread

KafkaX

Mr. Self Destruct
May 17, 2010
Planet Earth, Milky Way
Ive wanted to see a thread like this for sometime now. Not only for my own benefit, but for others as well.

So, the point of this thread, is to ask questions, use examples, and or discuss to help come to a definiton of what certain genres of metal are for those who need clarification, unclear, or think they have something to add.

Take all the Megadeth discussion going on in the controversial metal thread right now. Ofcourse it belongs there, but maybe we can extend it to this thread and really tie down what thrash metal is, who the pioneers were etc.

I feel this could be extremely useful if done right. Im ignorant to thrash metal, and Ill be the first to admit it. So what is it? What are the different components that make up thrash? Who pioneered the style?

I'm ignorant to Thrash as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Metallica an example of Thrash Metal?
What is Five Finger Death Punch?

I will not take Hard Rock as an answer for either of these because;

Metallica: Even though their newer stuff is Hard Rock, that does not defy a band. Their heavy distorted guitar riffs in just about every song totally gives the Metal feel. Hetfield's aggressive vocals are metal.

5FDP: Moody's vulgar screaming and the extremely heavy instrumentals is both gloriously aggressive and harsh. Definately metal.

Retrospective definitions can fuck off. Megadeth are obviously a thrash metal band, they were one of the big four and rose with the wave of the genre. Picking apart songs and riffs to show 'how thrash' they were/are is meaningless twaddle. And of course Anthrax weren't thrash either because they wore shorts and collaborated with Public Emeny on ONE MOTHERFUCKING SONG.

At what point does a definition become retrospective? Because you could just as easily go the ANUS route and deny Slayer as anything other than death metal (or maybe black metal).

2397_bpfobu.jpg

Slut Metal: Any style of music that depicts scantily-clad vixens with big hair, tight pants, and questionable morals. Usually of the blackend punk/thrash vibe, but available to any other style of music that mentions girls on their knees receiving thy evil seed. Made popular by the likes of Midnight, The Mentors, Motley Crue, and Black Sabbath.

At what point does a definition become retrospective?

Years after a genre has peaked, when people who weren't around or into it when it happened start decrying certain bands as being not worthy or not part of that genre because of certain aesthetics or qualities that don't conform to their version of what defines it.[\oldjadedcunt]

Because you could just as easily go the ANUS route and deny Slayer as anything other than death metal (or maybe black metal).

Hardcore punk if anything.

Years after a genre has peaked, when people who weren't around or into it when it happened start decrying certain bands as being not worthy or not part of that genre because of certain aesthetics or qualities that don't conform to their version of what defines it.[oldjadedcunt]

Quoted for the motherfucking truth. Thank You!

I've always wanted to know what the difference between d-beat and crust punk is. Been listening to them for years, but was never really able to tell the difference.

Alrighty. I don't immediately know about Megadeth, but I do know that you can find zine articles and whatnot circa Lightning/Puppets disowning those as being weak and not thrashy enough and etc. Was that acceptable in 1984 but not now in 2014?

EDIT: re: Satanstoenail

People also said South of Heaven was a sellout when it came out because it because it was generally slower than Reign in Blood. No one ever tried to deny that Slayer were a thrash metal band though.

Yeah, but no one is denying that South of Heaven is a thrash album afaik, so that's besides the point. I don't deny that Metallica and Megadeth can be called thrash bands, but the fact of the matter is that they have many songs that cannot be called thrash at all, to the contrary of what a certain butthurt Armenian may feel and no matter their "big 4" status (which was something constructed in the later 80s and is basically irrelevant).

Alrighty. I don't immediately know about Megadeth, but I do know that you can find zine articles and whatnot circa Lightning/Puppets disowning those as being weak and not thrashy enough and etc. Was that acceptable in 1984 but not now in 2014?

EDIT: re: Satanstoenail

I never heard that being said about RtL , but their next two were weaker or "lighter" on the thrash when compared to the albums that Slayer, Megadeth, Dark Angel, Sepultura, Testament, etc were releasing at the time(86-89). But like the post above says, no one ever questioned if those albums or bands were thrash metal or not.

I've maintained that Megadeth overall are mid-paced thrash and they do have some pure thrash songs as well. I'll leave it at that. I don't think this thread is meant to discuss individual bands.

Here's how I roundabout defined thrash in the other thread:

"It's that insistent repetitive snare and double bass drumming (the beat is very important). Choppy fast moving guitar riffs with some palm muting thrown in. Punk-like vocals with lyrics about war and rebellion and evil and shit. Good example from the 80's would be Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare for full on thrash." I'd also add that the majority of thrash songs probably include guitar solos.

I don't know how to write a precise definition of any genre. But we can list common elements that are within a genre to start.

Yeah, but no one is denying that South of Heaven is a thrash album afaik, so that's besides the point. I don't deny that Metallica and Megadeth can be called thrash bands, but the fact of the matter is that they have many songs that cannot be called thrash at all, to the contrary of what a certain butthurt Armenian may feel and no matter their "big 4" status (which was something constructed in the later 80s and is basically irrelevant).
So according to you about half of Peace Sells, SFSGSW and RiP isnt thrash but that generic exodus reject track that you posted is? :lol:

I'm trying not to go any further with this bullshit but you obviously cant stop pushing it can you? *edited for the sake of keeping this thread clean*

So according to you about half of Peace Sells, SFSGSW and RiP isnt thrash but that generic exodus reject track that you posted is? :lol:

Obviously, if it's awesome it must be thrash and if it's generic it must not be. That makes total sense. Once again, try and learn what thrash music actually is. Here's a hint: it's NOT defined as something for some 30 year old dude on the internet to dickwave over.

One example regarding Ride the Lightning, btw

http://sendbackmystamps.org/2012/02/24/brain-damage-zine-1-california-usa-1984/#jp-carousel-2428

^Can you two try to put into words what defines thrash in general?

Arguing over Megadeth/Metallica songs even if this ever comes to a conclusion would give us too narrow a definition. But what makes one song thrash and another not?