DELIVERANCE album appreciation

d or d?

• damn

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • deliver

Votes: 59 64.1%

• Total voters
Can't choose. Both are great in their own right, but it's kind of like apples and oranges. They're from one extreme to another...

...but since this thread seems to be more about Deliverance, yes, I love it like the rest of them. BTPISIO is a fantastic song in my opinion. Wreath, although good, is my least fav on this one. It sounds a bit limited to me, although it's FUKKIN HEVEE!! A Fair Judgement is absolutely stunning. Deliverance (the song) and Master's are crushing. I do remember years ago when I got this particular album, some of the songs took some time to get into. Master's was actually one of them, but it's a fantastic song. :headbang:

Great stuff!:cool:

I love deliverance. Nice and fuckin HEAVY!!! :headbang:

I feel lucky in the sence that I didn't get to experience all the albums as they came out. I discovered Opeth with the release of GR, so I purchased all past albums randomly, not in any order. I didn't worry about what Deliverance sounded like compaired to BWP because I hadn't heard BWP.

I love the whole album. The title track, Master's, A fair Judement and By The Pain are my faves. It was also a very welcomed treat to hear Wreath played live when I saw them headline in montreal this past May. Ah shit, I love the whole thing.

deliverance is the best album i ever heard in my life...and of course the best opeth album imo.the whole atmosphere,the darkness,the depression is unique in this album...also it reminds me the silent hill game!!!! which i'm a big fan :) i don't know why others don't like it...for me the rank is

1-deliverance
2-bwp
3-damnation
4-still life
5-mayh
6-ghost reveries
7-morningrise
8-watershed
9-orchid

Love this album. And about "For Absent Friends",i dont think it´s just an ok song,i think it´s absolutely brilliant,i love that bluesy laid back feel it has.

Love the overall Atmosphere of this album but, Only 3 tracks I like all the way through. Wreath, a fair judgement, and for absent friends. The rest of the songs are great in parts but lacking overall. I think it's mostly the clean vocal parts of this album that I found lacking the most, other than "a fair judgement" of course. I also don't care for the weak and hollow sound of the rhythm guitars throughout. The drums are fantastic though, maybe the best to ever grace an Opeth record. Deliverance has a very tough place in Opeth history having to follow their 2 greatest albums, SL and BWP, which IMO are the 2 greatest albums in the history of recorded music.

But I'll say this.........My ever growing disdain for the new "watershed" album has brought me a much, much, much greater appreciation for Deliverance.

i just got blackwater park and deliverance yesterday and I still didnt listen to deliverance. Im gonna get to it tonight then Ill say what i think but i dont know it might take a while because Opeth albums really click to me after like 3 listens... I listened to Blackwater Park once and I still need to listen to it to really understand it if u know what i mean.

If not for those darn interminable (yes, I know I can terminate them by hitting skip, but I don't like doing that) long winded outros to the songs Deliverance and A Fair Judgement, Deliverance (the album) would rank a whole lot hire in the Opeth discography.
The end of Deliverance (the song) is amazing to experience live, but on the album it starts getting old at around the 5th time, once you've got that darn riff already haunting your dreams. Mindja, it's one of my favorite riffs they've ever written...but it just goes to show you can have too much of a good thing.

If not for those darn interminable (yes, I know I can terminate them by hitting skip, but I don't like doing that) long winded outros to the songs Deliverance and A Fair Judgement, Deliverance (the album) would rank a whole lot hire in the Opeth discography.
The end of Deliverance (the song) is amazing to experience live, but on the album it starts getting old at around the 5th time, once you've got that darn riff already haunting your dreams. Mindja, it's one of my favorite riffs they've ever written...but it just goes to show you can have too much of a good thing.

you're right, i think the intro to a fair judgement is also a little long. the outro definitely is. i'm ok with skipping some of it. i really like this album, it's pretty straightforward a lot of the time, wreath and master's apprentice make it for me. top songs, brutal, dark. wreath especially leaves me feeling asphyxiated in the best possible way (apart perhaps from the mythical asphixy-wank, which i've never tried).

Between the two, I think I prefer 'Deliverance', just because it's more fundamentally 'Opeth', to me (both heavy and soft). However, both sound very rushed, to me, and I too tire of the redundancy of some of the riffs. It does have a unique atmosphere, though, much different from 'Blackwater Park'. The artwork also contributes greatly to this: while 'Blackwater Park' reminds me of being lost in a foggy, muggy, marshy land of horror and sorrow, 'Deliverance' makes me think of derelict, abandoned houses in the country.

Also, 'Wreath' destroys.

The big problem I have with Damnation is that 90% of the songs sound the same. They all have the same feeling, the same mood, and follow the same structure (with a couple of exceptions).

Deliverance slays Damnation, IMO.

deliverance is the opeth album that has grown the most on me, for some reason i didn't get into it until after i heard ghost reveries a few times. but yeah the whole atmosphere of the album is what i like about it so much

i've been listening to "by the pain" a lot lately, which i think is one of those tracks that grows on you. i know it gets a lot of shit and i'll admit it's not particularly one of their better efforts overall, especially due to their recording problems plus the fact that they seem to have spent more time on deliv and fair judgement, which i have no problem with at all. :) but there's some really neat riffs in by the pain i see in others, particularly the "rise to submission" part. and of course master's apprentices was the song that got me into opeth and continues to be in my top 3. i absolutely love damnation tho, windowpane is a fucking awesome song, especially the short instrumental section before the last verse, fucking awesome. also love in my time of need, to rid the disease, ending credits, and closure, particularly the way they ended it in lamentations, that was fucking amazing.