Demo of Steven Slate Drums 3.5 with "Advanced AMG" mode..

3.5 and the EX metal library sounds promising. I gotta be honest though, I've had much better sounding results in my mixes (metal) creating my own samples from scratch rather than using anything I have in 3.0. I don't know what it is, the Slate stuff still just doesn't have me stoked quite yet.

I still want to know what albums/samples Slate's stuff has been on. I know its been on the Devildriver stuff and Trivium but which samples :O Colin needs to check his mail! :)

andy, just pm'd you back with auth information.. i'll email colin again about the Trivium.. keep in mind the sounds that Andy and Colin get are the result of more factors then just the sample..

Here is something for the SSD 3 users.. I just got a really cool metal kick sound after wanting something more then the common kick 5 sound.. I used:

- kick5

- black kick

- chilli kick for mids

and I get a balance with all of them, mostly kick5, black kick for more top end spread, and then ease in chili kick for mids.. and then eq more 2-3k.. I'll post a demo in a bit, but it came out great, I actually made a few new kick samples of this sound..

In other news, we just did the new metal deluxe kicks and they came out awesome.. a bit more natural sounding but still has the "gut" and "click" that you'd expect.

I can't wait for EX and the metal expansion to come out. I'm looking forward to having a much better professional sounding library of drum files instead of EZdrummer and Addictive Drums.

Have I got the wrong idea about these drums if I assume I can use them in quite an easy way like EZdrummer to sort of be a song composing tool, as well as drums that sound incredible, or am I getting the wrong idea? I've only had experience with really basic drum stuff (EZdrummer and Addictive Drums) so I am sorry if I am a total nub, but I'm just really excited about this stuff! :D

3.5 and the EX metal library sounds promising. I gotta be honest though, I've had much better sounding results in my mixes (metal) creating my own samples from scratch rather than using anything I have in 3.0. I don't know what it is, the Slate stuff still just doesn't have me stoked quite yet.

Agreed. I think Slate may muffle the drums too much for my liking. There's zero ring in all of the drums, and a kind of dull topend that if you boost doesn't sound totally natural (if you were to do this on a real drum track you'd get a fuckload of cymbals in the mic)

Then again I'm only judging from other's clips. I may buy it when EX comes out.

Ha I'd definitely say if you actually used SSD, "dull" is not a word that you'd be using. Here are some ringy snares for you bud:

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ringy1.mp3

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ringy2.mp3

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ringy3.mp3

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/easy/ringy4.mp3

Dylan thousands of audio engineers every day use SSD for composing drums, programming drums, enhancing live drums, playing off edrums, etc.. Check out the site to hear a lot of demos.

For SSD users, we'll have 3.5 beta kits very soon on the SSD forum.

Ha I'd definitely say if you actually used SSD, "dull" is not a word that you'd be using. Here are some ringy snares for you bud:

//urls//

Hmm, I honestly don't know what it is then. They all have a similar sound that's very different from anything I've played as a drummer or heard on an album. Very clean, there's not really much or any 'dirt' as such. I don't know how else to describe it. It's on all the drums but mostly on the snare.

Not trying to badmouth your product or anything, I know a ton of people use it and the customer service is excellent.

On a side note, is there a chance for a 'demo' or trial of SSD? Like one kit that you can use for 5 or 10 days or something? At the moment I'm preferring using my own kit to make samples (and now I can actually track live drums), but if I can get around what I don't like in the samples with some processing then I'll probably buy it. But unfortunately I can't try that unless I have a go at the actual program, mp3 samples aren't gonna help.

I'm not sure what albums you are referring to, but SSD samples have been used on everything from Jonas Brothers, Nickelback, Papa Roach, P.O.D, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Devil Driver, Trivium, Shinedown, James Blunt, O.A.R., Miley Cyrus, and a few hundred other records.. But besides that, there are so many AMAZING mixes done by guys in this very forum using SSD, which is why I hang here.. Cuz I dig talented people.

Unfortunately we don't have any trial SSD in the works yet, but EX is gonna be quite a nice buy for 99 bones..

I wasn't aware your samples were used on that many professional records man. That is so wicked!

I was just going to buy it based on the awesome stuff I've heard people here do. I've stopped really hanging at other forums because the people here are really cool, and the stuff they do sounds killer.

Unfortunately we don't have any trial SSD in the works yet, but EX is gonna be quite a nice buy for 99 bones..

Is it going to be released simultaneously with the 3.5 update?

I'm waiting on the EX for my first SSD purchase and it makes me feel like a little kid waiting for x-mas :)