Depressive music and its themes/message - thoughts...

Does depressive music create a negative outlook on life?

• Yes

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • pfft, no idea...maybe

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
i consider myself to be somehow pessimistic, and i think that is the person who chooses the type of music that suits their personality rather than the music shaping the persons mood or personality. In my case, I'm sort of melancholic so im then attracted to dark type of stuff.
I mean there are no doubts that music can influence mood, but its the a mix of many other factors...say if you are hyped up you perceive a song very differently as compered of how you would percive the same song in a different context, say you are relaxed or happy.

I'm very optimistic and light hearted. I don't listen to much depressive music, but I just happen to enjoy Katatonia. I can listen to them while I'm doing work, or I can just lay down and relax. The other night I went to sleep to Dance of December Souls. It was bliss.

If the depressing music is quality music then i'll definetely feel happy listening to it. Sad music in general is much wiser, realistic and reflective, it helps you a lot to escape from this crap world and its stupid people...you feel that you are not alone in your misery and stuff.

In hearts of listeners October Tide, Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth, The Cure, Autumn, Empyrium, Ephel Duath, Shape of Despair, Cynic, Daylight Dies, - eternal autumn in own city of sadness. :cry:

Is my tale of relentless spring coming:

- Our Forbidden souls is washed by arising nature.

In hearts of listeners October Tide, Katatonia, Anathema, Opeth, The Cure, Autumn, Empyrium, Ephel Duath, Shape of Despair, Cynic, Daylight Dies, - eternal autumn in own city of sadness. :cry:

Is my tale of relentless spring coming:

- Our Forbidden souls is washed by arising nature.

:lol:

I really have no idea...How can I know,I don't listen to actually can't stand to happy music...Maybe it makes me sad and depressed "and yet in some twisted way I enjoy my misery and in some strange way I'VE GROWN TOGETHER WITH MY AGONY..."
:worship: :worship: :worship: to SENTENCED

Marillion (Steve Hogarth era) is actually the most effective and competent depressive band EVER. It's the type of depressive music that doesn't throw you down when you are living your most terrible days. But it's still depressive, deep, introspective, reflective.

Listen to albums like "Brave", "Afraid Of Sunlight" or to the song "Ocean Cloud" from their most recent album "Marbles". Incredible... Steve Hogarth is a hell of a singer (NO other singer in the world can beat him when it comes to interpretations... he gives another dimension to the songs). Every single note played by Mark Kelly's keyboard is spine-chilling, Steve Rothery is such a tremendous and talented guitarist. His solos and harmonies are incredibly deep. I could go on and on.

It's a shame they're so underrated, specially in the metal community.

So if you too get much into depression, you've been starting weak and pointless every moment. Depression has failed your strenght and this turn you to regression, is more awful like pain, prefer don't playing long with strong emotions.

I think I'm at the highest point of depression I've ever been in and I have work in one hour.

8 fucking hours of hell!

And my head feels like it's gonna blow.

But...Discouraged Ones is on and I wish I could be locked in a room and listen to this til I die of starvation.

I feel that by listening to depressing music can perhaps help releasing ones own "depression".

This totaly based on my own experiences of course, but you could look at the case "me". I am, when with others, a very happy person, always joking and whatever, enjoying life.
But still everytime I walk my dog, i play Quiet World and sings along and almost crie when the words "need more methods to end each day" are spoken.