desperate GOP scrapes for ways to smear Obama

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Wikinews said:
VP candidate Palin accuses Obama of terrorist links

At a Republican rally in Colorado, U.S. Alaskan governor and Vice-Presidential hopeful, Sarah Palin accused Democratic candidate Barack Obama of "palling around with terrorists who would target their own country". The charge was repeated at a later rally for around 13,000 Orange County, California supporters.

The accusation centers around a report in The New York Times associating Obama with William C. Ayers, a Chicago professor who was a member of the radical Weathermen group during the 1960s. Ayers was one of the founders of the Weathermen, and involved in their anti-Vietnam War bombing campaign throughout the early 1970s.

Loading her attack with hot-button issues, Palin told supporters "one of Barack's earliest supporters is a man who, according to the New York Times, and they are hardly ever wrong, was a domestic terrorist and part of a group that quote launched a campaign of bombings that would target the Pentagon and US Capitol. Wow. These are the same guys who think patriotism is paying higher taxes."

Despite Palin's attack, the original article in the October 3 New York Times concluded that Obama and Ayers were never close, and that the connection was through Obama's initial run for office and a schools reform project, "saying that their paths have crossed sporadically". The report quotes Obama as describing Ayers as, "somebody who worked on education issues in Chicago that I know" and "somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8". According to a campaign spokesman, the two men first met through the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, an educational project started in 1995.

Democratic campaign aides claim the alleged relationship has been played up by the presidential hopeful's opponents as a smear campaign. Comparisons to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) have been drawn. SBVT was a political group drawn together during the 2004 presidential election with the aim of opposing John Kerry's candidacy.

I seem to recall Fox News 'reporting' this a while back. I had no idea anyone was even taking it seriously, but I guess McCain and Palin don't really have many options left besides to play on fears that Barack Hussein Obama really is a Muslim extremist after all.

edit: I fail at thread placement. Move this when you get a chance mods, thx.

it has less to do with his muslim heritage, but more to do with the common poster slogan "obama- a terrorists best friend" which stems from his iraq timeline. creating a rigid time lime will act like a count down for terrorists in iraq. they will just wait until we leave and then blow the shit out of everything.
~gR~

It can't have less to do with his Muslim heritage. Religion can't be inherited, and he ISN'T any part Muslim anyway. I don't know where people get this shit from but it needs to stop.

it has less to do with his muslim heritage, but more to do with the common poster slogan "obama- a terrorists best friend" which stems from his iraq timeline. creating a rigid time lime will act like a count down for terrorists in iraq. they will just wait until we leave and then blow the shit out of everything.
~gR~

Um, there are plenty of Democrats who support a timed withdrawal from Iraq. It's not like Obama is being uniquely singled-out as "a terrorist's best friend" just because of that.

depends on how the election shapes congress. like vihris said, alot of dems want a set timeline. get enough of them into the house, and it could get passed
~gR~

2913291285_c0ee5f08aa.jpg

Who cares what happens in Iraq, it isn't our business. It wasn't our business in the first place.

~gR~
Um. I rather suspect they'll just keep blowing the shit out of everything at the same steady rate until we leave, then there'll either be a massive insurrection or things wills settle down a bit. Anyhow, it's not like the US leaving makes it easier for terrorist - when we leave half their targets are gone.

I guess McCain and Palin don't really have many options left besides to play on fears that Barack Hussein Obama really is a Muslim extremist after all.
That's all they've done from the very beginning. It's Karl Rove politics - if you just stand up and spew bullshit with a straight face over and over again you've won. When you get called on it, you can take it back, but the damage is done - apparently "they" have found that when people hear something like "Obama linked to Al-Qaeda" that sticks with them and later when they hear "Al-Qaeda link bullshit" it doesn't remove the taint.

It can't have less to do with his Muslim heritage. Religion can't be inherited, and he ISN'T any part Muslim anyway. I don't know where people get this shit from but it needs to stop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism#What_makes_a_person_Jewish.3F
But yeah. It's fucking retarded.

:lol:
that's awesome.

Um. I rather suspect they'll just keep blowing the shit out of everything at the same steady rate until we leave, then there'll either be a massive insurrection or things wills settle down a bit. Anyhow, it's not like the US leaving makes it easier for terrorist - when we leave half their targets are gone.

that isnt really true. attacks against americans are way down. attacks against each other are more common. shia v sunni. they dont want to kill americans because that doesnt achieve their goal. each group wants control over the other. its a big problem in the government too. the entire sunni delegation left parliment because they didnt want to work with shia. they want to control the shia, and vice versa. someone needs to moderate, and its gonna be us.

as a whole, attacks are down. and if we can keep bringing those numbers down, then we can pass everything completely to the iraqi forces. but until we bring the numbers down to a manageable level, we cant leave, period.
~gR~

I can't believe people buy this whole war on terrorism BS.

For the most part it is a successful marketing creation that overemphasizes the true threat that 'terrorism' represents (which is marginal at best).

Don't be seduced by the fear mongering, your country should focus on the much more important domestic issues that make America categorically one of the worst places to live in the developed world (i.e. healthcare system, completely unregulated markets--leading to the current economic turmoil, education disparities, 1% of the population controlling 90% of the wealth in the country, poverty, poorly implemented crime and punishment systems, corporate media control, etc.)

a marginal threat killed thousands of people in NY?

awesome...

serious question: where are you from?
~gR~

I doubt it would get past the house tbh.

Was Biden lying/mis-spoke when he said Bush was negotiating that plan with Iraq right now?

I can't believe people buy this whole war on terrorism BS.

For the most part it is a successful marketing creation that overemphasizes the true threat that 'terrorism' represents (which is marginal at best).

Don't be seduced by the fear mongering, your country should focus on the much more important domestic issues that make America categorically one of the worst places to live in the developed world (i.e. healthcare system, completely unregulated markets--leading to the current economic turmoil, education disparities, 1% of the population controlling 90% of the wealth in the country, poverty, poorly implemented crime and punishment systems, corporate media control, etc.)

"The new America slogan, 20 Million illegals can't be wrong"

:lol:

awesome...

serious question: where are you from?
~gR~

Canada.

~200 000 died from Heart disease that same year. Hell their were exponentially more suicides and poverty related deaths that same year. If you want to take a purely utilitarian perspective on it all (which Republicans often seem so comfortable doing) then it is clear that your priorities should lie elsewhere.

And regarding 9/11, it doesn't help that the Bush administration made matters worse by erroneously telling people that the air around ground zero was safe, when in reality it was just as caustic as drinking liquid drainer. Honestly, you have far bigger problems than 'turrism'.

death aflame: its becoming increasingly obvious that your an arrogant and ignorant asshole (which is pretty amazing actually), and debating you would be pointless. and if youre wondering when i came to that conclusion, it was your "turrism" comment. blindly insulting an entire region based on their accent is a sign of true ignorance.
~gR~

death aflame: its becoming increasingly obvious that your an arrogant and ignorant asshole (which is pretty amazing actually), and debating you would be pointless. and if youre wondering when i came to that conclusion, it was your "turrism" comment. blindly insulting an entire region based on their accent is a sign of true ignorance.
~gR~

lol, way to misinterpret that comment.

that isnt really true. attacks against americans are way down. attacks against each other are more common. shia v sunni. they dont want to kill americans because that doesnt achieve their goal. each group wants control over the other. its a big problem in the government too. the entire sunni delegation left parliment because they didnt want to work with shia. they want to control the shia, and vice versa. someone needs to moderate, and its gonna be us.

as a whole, attacks are down. and if we can keep bringing those numbers down, then we can pass everything completely to the iraqi forces. but until we bring the numbers down to a manageable level, we cant leave, period.
~gR~
why do you think it's the presence of american troops that are preventing terrorism? Are suicide bombers afraid of getting caught now?
Just keeping US troops there is not a viable solution, and there really is no end in sight.

~gR~
Thousands of people! My god! That's SO MANY!
Yes, it's a tragedy, but there are 300 million people in America. Try and keep a sense of scale.

~gR~
*facepalm*

I honestly don't understand why anyone in their right mind would vote republican (unless they are incredibly wealthy)

Mathiäs;7680275 said:
I honestly don't understand why anyone in their right mind would vote republican (unless they are incredibly wealthy)

It really doesn't matter, the democrats are similarly puppets of the corporate class. They are the lesser of two evils I agree, but their ideology is so close to that of the republicans in the first place that it doesn't make a difference, the rich will continue to get richer, faster, while the poor will be left behind as social programs become eroded to an eventual unreturnable threshold in the name of global capitalism and 'free trade'.

Making things worse, the American Empire will develop further along the police-state path than it already has. Not only will education standards and accessibility to healthcare continue to plummet, but violent crime will rise--giving whoever governs the 'consent' by the people to destroy their basic human rights of privacy and the right to a fair trial.

The American Military and all its unofficial arms is by far the largest terrorist organization in the world, and anyone who denies this is truly lost to the lies that the corporate media (i.e. propaganda arm of the governing body) spreads.

All in all, I'd say it is not looking good for the survival of democracy and plight of the working and middle class of America as they continue to be deceived by societal elites for matters of mere profit.