Did you have a Nu-Metal phase?

Did you have a Nu-Metal phase before you got into Metal?

• Yes

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 49.3%

• Total voters

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
I was talking about how I got into Metal with my friends. It turns out all of them got into Metal from Nu-Metal. I didn't so I was wondering if people here did.

Unfortunately yeah, but I was mostly into screamo, then metal (such as In flames, and similar stuff)

I used to listen to one of the earlier Korn albums. That was before the term nu-metal existed. Other than that, not really.

The closest I ever got to listening to Nu-metal occurred during a christmas a while back. This family friend gave me a slipknot CD( which im assuming he picked up or me because it looked like "metal"). Short story shorter, I never opened it up and proceeded to throwing it out.

Sadly, yes. When I was about 10, I thought Limp Bizkit was awesome.
Then I discovered Iron Maiden and Metallica and realised that, in fact, they sucked. Big time.

I bought two Limp Bizkit albums, but that's as far as it got before I discovered Iron Maiden. I was never a "nu-metaller", although everyone at school seemed to like Staind and Korn and so on.

Yes indeed, about 4 years ago. I downloaded pretty much all of Linkin Park's and System of a Down's discography, and I listened to some Slipknot, Adema, Limp Bizkit and Rob Zombie. But this was before music became a central focus of my life. Soon enough came Rammstein and Metallica to lure me away from the mainstream, then I found The Kovenant, then Arcturus, then Borknagar, etc...

I was a Grunge poster child when growing up, so I listened to all of that before any nu-metal, and some Grunge is actually considered metal so, yeah.

Yeah grunge was one of my main early musical influences as well. Originally I was very much into hiphop (which back when was still actually good and I still like a lot of the old stuff today) and gradually moved into heavy'ish rock stuff like Garbage, Tool and grunge like Nirvana and Alice in Chains and also the aforementioned Korn album (I think that was called alternative metal or something back then). From there I pretty much went directly to metal. Over time I was just sent random metal songs on IRC (mainly the more accessible stuff like Arch Enemy, In Flames, Opeth, your basic gateway bands basically) by a few people and those caused me to seek out more.

sadly yes i did, sorta weird tho lookin back, being obsessed with korn and at the same time listening to napalm death.

No. I previously listened to classic/prog rock almost exclusively. Some 7 or 8 years ago was when my dad introduced me to Iron Maiden, Priest, and other 80's bands. My first extreme metal band was Symphony X, a blind buy in a Borders. I found Bal-Sagoth on a shitty mag sampler, and they got me into heavier bands.