Did you have a Nu-Metal phase?

Did you have a Nu-Metal phase before you got into Metal?

• Yes

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 49.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, I did it for 4 years, from 12-16 basically, listneing to Mudvayne, Slipknot, and System of a Down mainly, along with Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Korn, Papa Roach, and Disturbed, though now I'm thinking why the hell did I like the latter 6 with the exceptions of Godsmack and Korn, I still like stuff from the first 3, though I don't listen to them anymore. Then when I was 16, around the time of my Senior year in high school, I started listening to mainstream metal like Lamb of God, Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, Six Feet Under, and Morbid Angel along with Mudvayne, Slipknot and System of a Down, it was a transitional time, then about the time of my freshman year of college(actually a couple months before) I got into black metal through hearing Satyricon's Now, Diabolical material on Sirius Radio and reading about Emperor on the internet. I really have no idea why I never got any Dimmu or Cradle CD's in my transitional Metal period, I like them better than all the non-death and black bands I listene3d to in that time.

Never been into nu-metal. I don't think I've liked a single nu-metal song. I went from grunge as a few people did. Especially Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. After that I went to Metallica and Black Sabbath before discovering Blind Guardian, Jag Panzer, Manowar and Helloween (then I was sold on metal. :p).

Nope, never. I did have KoRn's first two albums, but I quit listening to them by the time the third album came out. I don't think those albums were Nu-Metal though. I didn't much care for it anyways.

I did have a very brief NIN, Nirvana & Soundgarden phase. I also used to buy a share of movie soundtracks to those grunge movies as well (Singles, The Crow, ect.). I still like Alice in Chains & Stone Temple Pilots, however I don't actively listen to them.

Oh, & I forgot about my Marily Manson phase. I listened to that shit in Middle-School, but once again I completely lost track of him by the track of him after "Anti-Christ SuperStar".

After 96' I just was occupied with a lot of other stuff & in my free time I played a shitload of guitar, practicing 6-8 hours a day for a couple of years. I listened to a lot of popular Thrash & some popular Death, as well as Instrumental guitar stuff like Steve Vai & Tony MacAlpine. I got into Dream Theater around '99. I didn't really try to start expanding my knowledge on music & more underground bands until a few years ago, but I already had the groundwork laid to be appreciative of many genres. I started listening to Jazz/Fusion a little over a year ago.

I sure did. Like someone else mentioned, I did not have internet access, so I thought bands like Slipknot were the craziest heaviest shit ever. I can still actually hear a Slipknot song off of the self Titled album and enjoy it for pure nostalgic experience. Myself and a friend of mine used to listen to that album constantly. I listened to a lot of Slipknot, Mudvayne, Disturbed, System of a Down and Godsmack. Oh, and I was obsessed with Powerman 5000 in middle school. I still have a big stack of these nu-metal cd's laying around my room.

I think I always wanted to hear that kind of judas priest like sound when I was little. They must have been on TV once or maybe my parents had a stray single or something. Anyway I ignored pop music and my favourite song of what my parents played was Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf. Before that it was great balls of fire lol. Oh and they had some AC DC. I like like one or two songs by them too.

I remember some school friends bringing in Nu metal and slipknot Iowa into school once, in this bring your own CDs to play in the music lesson thing. I think I though the slipknot was alright but kind of a pointless dull sidetrack from the older metal sound to my ears. I never got into any of that crap anyway. I never bothered buying much music until recently because I never liked any of it enough I was just looking for Priest/NWOBHM/80s metal/thrash metal sound and not hearing it getting played AT ALL. Derpressing times untill I found this guys site: nolifetilmetal. Was where I found most of my favourite bands (except Judas Priest), my friend showed me them on youtube after I tried to ask about what band it was that started all the faster stuff with the leather etc.

Anyway so yeah, I bought Sin after Sin. I already owned bloody St Anger and an A7F album but lets not go there. I was dissapointed with the metallica I was hoping it would be like their earlier stuff...

My friends like nu metal, emo, erm whatever else. It's what people are like here. Fashion is the absolute law. I didn't read any internet reviews I just got it because one friend said it was immense. Seriously I their are basically about 1 or 2 people in the whole school who like Iron Maiden and thats a 2000 pupil + school and sixthform college.

Also, with finding the sound I like, I didn't know what it was at all. I hadn't heard all of it before I just knew I wanted to hear some stuff from before nu metal shite.

I was only like 9 when nu metal was big.

I never had a nu-metal phase. Been into the real stuff from the beginning.

I used to listen to grunge, like Nirvana, and i still do. Then started with Dimmu Borgir, and made my way to extreme metal.

yes, for maybe a year. but that was 10 years ago. then I discovered hardcore punk and grindcore and it was all downhill from there lol.