Discover Opeth

JonNoH

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2013
No, not you

Posting cause I have finally grasped "why Opeth"

I've had Ghost Reveries in my collection for a year or so now. I don't even remember why I got it, pretty sure someone recommended it as a similar artist to something on another forum. I listened to it for a few playthroughs and moved on. It never grabbed me. Fast forward to a month ago, something compelled me to play it again.

I've been listening to it mostly ever since. The parts that got me were the acoustics. Wow. It really is something else. It's almost like I've heard it before long long ago and I'm revisiting an old friend. I've put this album through its paces and I'm still not growing tired. the end of Atonement takes me away every time. The acoustics in The Baying of The Hounds the same.

I am very happy I have this.

Over the past couple days I've been searching for discussions about Opeth, specifically acoustic songs of theirs and what peoples favorites are. In those searches this forum has repeatedly come up in the archived Opeth section with some great discussion on the matter, some good arguing anyway.

I've decided to go with Deliverance next. I'm going to savor that album for a few months as well before moving onto the next. I have you OG's from the past here at UM to thank for that, which is why I'm posting here. Thank you for archiving that section. It's an important piece to the human knowledge-base and has steered myself in the right direction.

I'm hoping some of you are envious of me right now. :fu:

-Jon

Yeah, Deliverance is pretty solid album, definitely one of their best. I love the acoustic intro to The Drapery Falls (off Blackwater Park album) and I really recommend you to try it.

I thought I was going to be signing up for a credit card with reward points for metal merch for a moment there.

I'm pretty sure Opeth's been discovered at this point. They regularly make the Billboard 200 with their releases.

Not sure how you can say that. I don't see that at all. At the time it was released, it was the biggest change in sound they made in a long time. Much more jazzy and the songs went in many places you didn't expect. The "Lotus Eater" is a prime example of that.

You could see the direction they were heading from a mile away. Underwhelming, predictable, album.

They peaked at Still Life and went downhill from there

Word.

No way. Blackwater Park was the acme (NOT NADIR, DERP) of Opeth both creatively and musically, although Still Life is also a GREAT album. Hell I even enjoyed Damnation (not entirely true, I just liked Windowpane).

Actually Still Life was an album I heard back when it was NEW, after an ad in an old issue of Circus Magazine (exposing my age, there) and I thought the cover was cool. Fell in love. Then Blackwater Park hit me with The Drapery Falls, Harvest, and Dirge for November and I was just enamoured with the band.

Now, 14 years after I first found 'em, it's just something we have to accept that Opeth, as in classic Opeth, is undoubtedly one of the best entities that passed through the metal orbit, but that Opeth has not been seen in a long, long time.

Not to be that guy, but when you say that BWP was "nadir" of Opeth creatively and musically, you are saying it was the absolute low point. I think you mean "apex".

Yes! You're right. I totally fucked that one up. I think I was intending to use "nadir" in its "at the extreme" definition, but that doesn't really work either.

Grammar nazis bother me, but when I use a word completely wrong, I'm always happy to have it pointed out. Better than doing it repeatedly, right?