Do themes such as Satanism or Anti-Christianity Affect Your Metal Preferences?

Actually, Christianity did start with Jesus when he ordained the 12 Apostles as the ministers of the new Church. The Council of Nicaea you refer to was the first consolidation of the Christian peoples into one cohesive Church.

Well... not really. If one believes the Church's/Bible's account of things then yes Christianity started with Jesus and his ordination of the apostles. However from a more skeptical point of view I would say something like this is probably what happened (though this is of course speculation):
Jesus was a teacher who fancied himself the messiah. He had followers or apostles. After Jesus' death these followers (or at least some of them) made up the resurrection story or wanting to believe so fervently that he was the messiah deluded themselves into thinking he was resurrected (this sort of self-deception in religion has happened numerous times throughout history). They then continued to preach their version of the meaning of Jesus' life and death and from there Christianity spread and was further fashioned by Paul's teachings which enabled Gentiles to join a previously Jewish sect.
Actually the Council of Nicea did not consolidate the Christian people's into one cohesive Church... there were schisms following the council immediately. While the council addressed such issues as the date of easter, and the jurisdiction of certain apostolic sees, the primary reason the council convened was over the issue of Arianism. The majority of the council decided against Arius' teachings and issued the first 7 lines of what is now known as the Nicene Creed. The rest of the Creed was drafted up at the second ecumenical council of Constantinople.
Interestingly though it was the Arians who rose to prominance after the Council of Nicea with Constantine backing them for a time and supporters of the Nicene decision often having to go into hiding or exile (i.e. Athanasius of Alexandria).
If you read the pre-Nicene Church Fathers you can see that they already had an idea of a unified Church built upon the idea of apostolic succession (Irenaeus goes into great detail on this subject in his Against Heresies). My point is that from the Church's point of view the church has been a cohesive whole from the beginning despite schisms that occured from the earliest times of Christianity (Gnosticism, Sabellianism) and even after the Nicene council (Arianism, Monophysitism, etc.).

I have been an open Christian on this board since I joined.

Add Dan and me as well. This forum is for discussing our musical interests, with religion being irrelevant at this stage in the discussion. Sure metal has all of these negative connotations regarding religion, as was the a subject of this thread. Sadly every time a discussion arises that touches upon these connections, they almost always morph into a debate completely devoid of the central focus which is metal music.
This stuff has been done to death, we don't need another monthly "fight over significance of religion" or "blame religion let's fight about it" thread. We all have our beliefs, we all hold our grudges, but this is not the place to carry on your discussions.

Now you say, "Oh he's sick of these threads because he's a Christian." Guess what, I am sick of them, and all you atheists and agnostics should be sick of them also. Learn to recognize when threads devolve into meaningless banter. We have at least three deisgnated threads for meaningless banter, don't let it spread.

I'm with Zephyrus on this one. I actually surprised myself by caring, since I usually don't get involved with conversations outside of metal, but I despise one-sided arguments. Anyway, back on topic.

Like I said before, I am Christian, but am not reluctant to listen a band merely because of their religious standpoint. I consider myself to be pretty open-minded.

I find these discussion to be interesting and more than meaningless banter when people like EarthDog are not involved.

Perhaps that's because you feel empowered by the fact that you're part of the majority in terms of the sides of the argument.

These discussions are certainly intellectual and have a host of contributors, but the main problem is that the same arguments are generated repetedly in monthly cycles. When you hear the same debate over and over it gets tiresome, no matter how scholarly its components may be.

Perhaps that's because you feel empowered by the fact that you're part of the majority in terms of the sides of the argument.

These discussions are certainly intellectual and have a host of contributors, but the main problem is that the same arguments are generated repetedly in monthly cycles. When you hear the same debate over and over it gets tiresome, no matter how scholarly its components may be.

My contribution was "scholarly"... :saint:

That may be so, as I am never in the majority in real life and have to hear the same arguments against me repeated.

edit: Statement retracted.
I thought Montu wasn't Xtian, but he has revealed his true nature in this thread.

Yep, I'm Episcopalian.

Damn, I'm sorry I missed this debate. But from what I've read, ol' Earthdog got his ass kicked. Sorry, man, but you need to go do some more research and find quotes to back your shit up. Then we'll talk.

Oh, and calling people "typical Christians" won't get you anywhere, because by that logic, you yourself are a typical "omg fuk da world religon sux" asshole.

We brought the hammer down on him. That's what good o'll debate team does for ya..:p

You are a typical christian. You don't read anything that goes against your brainwashed world views and try and act like anyone who brings up the obvious facts that your religion is Full of hypocrisy you avoid the content of the argument and concentrate on one misspelled word or say "your immature"
or some other personal attack because the facts I've present are true.TYPICAL cHRISTIAN BULLSHIT.
Actually, I've read most of the Satanic bible, I have a decent understanding of Islam, I've read books on Eastern mysticism such as the I Ching and the works of Lao Tzu.....I've read up on pretty much every religion there is.

First you hide behind the skirt ( or robe. I'd say skirt) of the Churches lies about love and tolerance . Now you hide behind the skirt of a woman.
This is fucking hilarious.:lol:

ANYWAYS, back on topic......

Everyone should listen to Drottnar - Welterwerk. It's one of V5's most favorite albums of the year. I think he put it at 10th place if I remember correctly.

http://www.myspace.com/welterwerk

Here's a review of it (the only one, actually) from Metal Archives:

Inventive and strange technical metal! - 84%
Written by Spawnhorde on October 21st, 2006

Odd technical extreme metal band Drottnar have actually been around a hell of a long time for a band with only one full-length to their name. Apparently they began as some sort of folk/melodic black metal and gradually turned into what they are now; technical blackened-death style metal. There are quite a few moments of both black metal and death metal on this CD, but the main oddity present here is the fact that black metal itself is not defined by any means by its technicality. If you go back in the history of the genre, you'll notice that, in fact, technicality (that is, complicated musicality and a penchant for going "all over the place" in terms of scales and time signatures) is completely absent from 99.9% of black metal; instead, black metal usually focuses on drawn-out, repetitive riff phrases with standard drumming (fast, slow or in between).

That having been said, this is essentially modern technical death metal; steady phrases interconnect but without easy transitions; often, jagged spikes of guitar and angular drumming will emerge and play a part in the chaos of it all. The beauty in the inherent chaos of tech. death is what draws a lot of people to the genre itself (curiously, it's really more of a modern development in the metal scene). The same draw is utilized here; harmonic and atonal riffs leap around all over the place offering very little respite to the listener. Stops and starts are frequent and demanding of the listener's attention span. The black metal ideas enter the playing field here during dissonant, typically tremolo-picked riffs interspersed throughout the album, which is really a very good idea considering this hasn't been done (well) by very many bands, if any, at all.

I also greatly appreciate this band's off-kilter image and interesting concepts; from their band picture to their logo to some of the song titles ("Niemand Geht Vorbei" which, translated from German, means "None Shall Pass", "Victor Comrade" and "Destruction's Czar"). They all point to a very secular worldview, despite the band apparently being Christian (trust me, it's not apparent here at all). I guarantee the aim is to play/mock the ideas of Nazism, Communism, etc., which I find pretty darn cool, if I do say so myself. This album is full of surprises ranging from interesting melody to throat-scraping harsh vocals and shouldn't be missed by tech-death fans who don't mind a bit of the black with their chaos.

I was only saying that because I'm sure there are more people that respect his opinions on music here than there are that respect mine.