Do You Play an Instrument? (everyone vote)

Do You Play an Instrument?

• Yes

Votes: 113 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 18.1%

• Total voters
Guitar (a little over two years)
Piano (given up, played from about 7-14 years old)
Violin (since I was about 6 I think)

of course.
i've been playing flute for ten years now,and two-three years before i 've started playing guitar.i like singing,especially adding some unarticulated sounds people usually don't understand. :) but i'd like to play bass because of its strong and deep sound,but i think it will only stay a wish...

yeah, i play guitar... although i'd only been playing a couple of months when i got into opeth, so I don't think it really had that much impact.
haha, I also kinda sing. I'm fine within the bass range but my vocal chords just pack up and leave if i try to go higher. Oh, and who hasn't tried to growl..

david411 said:
Im just trying to see if Opeth attracts most of their fans because of their musicianship, and guitar players and drummers are drawn to the music because they have so much talent, because all my friends dont play music and they dont understand how I like them so i was just wondering

yea i play guitar and i am attrached to opeth in part because of thier extreme technicality of thier songs

Innbydelse said:
yea i play guitar and i am attrached to opeth in part because of thier extreme technicality of thier songs

Opeth? Extreme technicality? Opeth aren't technical.

Guitar for about 5 years, gave up on drums about four years ago. Used to play the saxaphone but I quit in 7th grade because it was boring. that's when I took up guitar soon after.

Interesti said:
Opeth? Extreme technicality? Opeth aren't technical.

let me rephrase that

they have alot of guitar parts and that is what i call technical....

thier music is not simple ......lets just put it that way and i like music that is complicated and shows that it took some effort

I would have to agree with a previous thread that Opeth are not technical in one sense. They do not display the chops of a Dream Theater or a Cynic or Death or Watchtower. There is something different going on. It is a layering and a concept that makes Opeth's music unique. They are for sure very technically accomplished musicians. but it is their compositions that are their art.
And what art it is.
There is no extreme blast of speed. Go get your Suffocation collection from its cobwebs to hear true brutality. Never bettered in my opinion. Then gain I was very tempted to purchase the remaster of Altars of Madness to hear Sandoval again in a new light but thats another thread.
Are Opeth an ultra-technical metal band?
In some ways they are the most technical metal band ever. In other ways they lack. We will not hear Bodom type leads, or Sadus bass lines and I say thank god. This is a band that produces songs above all regardless of the limited view of "the technical" that many percieve.