Dream Theater

If it wasn't for Dream theater, Opeth would still searching for a record company as we speak !

You wouldn't believe the number of Opeth threads that have emerged on the John Petrucci, Mike portnoy and Dream theater message boards for the past 3 or 4 years, it is quite mindbogling actually !

DT fans are Opeth's best publicists.

Wheather you like it or not, DT has carried the flag of progressive rock music for the past 15 years and Opeth has taken a lot of advantages from this !

DT and Opeth are very similar in a lot of aspects : long songs, solos, melody mixed with heaviness, musicianship , extreme aspects ( death growls and Morbid Angel parts for Opeth, 4 minutes instrumental breaks for DT sometimes at ludicrous speed i.e Train of Thought).

I like both.

Plus DT plays 3hours and 45 minutes show !:headbang:

Death_To_False_Metal said:
DT and Opeth are very similar in a lot of aspects : long songs, solos, melody mixed with heaviness, musicianship , extreme aspects ( death growls and Morbid Angel parts for Opeth, 4 minutes instrumental breaks for DT sometimes at ludicrous speed i.e Train of Thought).

yeah, doom metal has long songs, a decent amount of solos (depends on teh band really), melody mixed with heaviness, extreme aspects in the doom-death style, and musicianship.

Opeth and doom metal are alot alike...especially the depressing poetic lyrics.

that being said, alot of bands play long songs....and alot of bands have solos....and alot of bands mix melody with 'heaviness', have good musicianship, and feature extreme aspects.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
yeah, doom metal has long songs, a decent amount of solos (depends on teh band really), melody mixed with heaviness, extreme aspects in the doom-death style, and musicianship.

Opeth and doom metal are alot alike...especially the depressing poetic lyrics.

that being said, alot of bands play long songs....and alot of bands have solos....and alot of bands mix melody with 'heaviness', have good musicianship, and feature extreme aspects.

I guess he's saying that all bands owe their lives to Dream Theater.

I see you kids don't know very much history and don't realize how bands like Opeth got relatively popular in relatively unreceptive places like North America. It wouldn't have happened without the internet, word of mouth, and developed, older online communities such as the forums at Dream Theater's site, their members' sites, and other strong communities like Megadeth's forums.

Opeth wouldn't be as big as they are now if not for fans of other bands like Dream Theater. Who knows, they might have even kept writing good music.

farren said:
I see you kids don't know very much history and don't realize how bands like Opeth got relatively popular in relatively unreceptive places like North America. It wouldn't have happened without the internet, word of mouth, and developed, older online communities such as the forums at Dream Theater's site, their members' sites, and other strong communities like Megadeth's forums.

Opeth wouldn't be as big as they are now if not for fans of other bands like Dream Theater. Who knows, they might have even kept writing good music.

Thank you.
My point exactly.

And if people can't see that there are more similarities between DT and Opeth
than Open and Fall Out Boy, well too bad for you !

And Opeth were in search of a record deal for Ghost Reveries and word of mouth from prog metal fans has helped a lot to create a buzz around the band to sign on a "big" record company.

Yeah, you rupture a vocal chord and see if you're only affected for the year it happened.

Frosties said:
Well, I just wanted to paint the biggest picture for the dude. Those aren't necessarily my favorite - just the most representative. Lie, I think, isn't typical DT - not that it isn't a good song (fucking amazing solo too!).

... and SDV is? DT have never and will never do another song like that. It's not really even a DT song, it's a Kevin Moore song.

I used to be quite hugely into this band. Here's some of my favorite songs.

Learning To Live
Space Dye Vest
Finally Free
Pull Me Under
Overture 1928
Caught In A Web

farren said:

...5 years ago i went crazy and forced everyone on the John Petrucci forum to listen to Opeth. I went as far as to mail out mix CD's of Opeth to about 30 different people on that forum. haha.

farren said:
Yeah, you rupture a vocal chord and see if you're only affected for the year it happened.
well, here's the thing. 1995 yes?

ACOS: 1995 September 19 (presumably after a Summer in Cuba, and he sounds great, fans agree)
Awake: 1994 October 4 (Before supposed "issue", another fan favorite)
FII: 1997 September 23 (Is the reason people don't like this album as much because of a vocal issue or because of the songwriting. btw, I happen to like it quite a lot.)
SFAM: 1999 October 26 (Another "after" fan favorite)

so you tell me how an event in 1995 is such a big deal when afterwards, they still recorded some of their best works and fan favs.

It primarily affected his live performances. You may not like him on the albums, but everyone seems to agree he's great live, now that he has fully recovered. He's a great frontman, meaning he doesn't just stand there hiding under his mustache sounding like a studio album.

I would tell you to go to a show, but you have 7,406 posts so you clearly don't have time to leave your house.

Is it opposite day? :lol:

Or perhaps you don't even read my posts :tickled:
I love their old material & their live shows.

My gripe is actually with the two latest studio albums and nothing to do with our Canadian friend but his shredtacular sidekicks. Further, my point is that an event in 1995 clearly can't have been that big a deal if the following records held up just as well as previous work. Read again buddy.

PS: I'm actually tired of going to their shows since I have seen them 8+ times already.

farren said:
It primarily affected his live performances. You may not like him on the albums, but everyone seems to agree he's great live, now that he has fully recovered. He's a great frontman, meaning he doesn't just stand there hiding under his mustache sounding like a studio album.

I would tell you to go to a show, but you have 7,406 posts so you clearly don't have time to leave your house.
Considered reading his post before trying an insult?

One must be on the defense at all times when amidst a messageboard of angry mall-metalers.

So you think James sounded as good on LSFY as he has live on the past two tours?