DT's Train of Thought ultimately kicked Opeth out of my mind

suislidE said:
Who gives a shit. It obviously means this guy thinks DT is now Gods and Opeth is utter shit. You think Mikael would really be happy about this thread? come on dude
I don't think this implies Opeth is utter shit, I think it implies Deliverance/Damnation killed his interest in Opeth. I feel exactly the same way.

I was a die hard Opeth fan, listened to one of the cds at least a couple times a week. After D/D, I totally lost interest. It's not that the cds are that bad (Deliverance is pretty good, Damnation bores me to tears), but I just have no interest in listening to Opeth since then. There are so many more (to me at least) musically interesting and innovative things going on right now.

I still think MAYH is one of the top 5 lps ever recorded in any genre, and I'm sure I'll go back to the first 4 opeth cds eventually, but not D/D.

ZeDzEdZeD said:
DT was my fav band also once, then came Opeth... now DT sucks, and it sucks very badly, new ToT is not an exception... meaningless masturbation with 7 string guitar and 6 string bass and very bad vocals...
I red an interview once about that DT got inspiration from 'Master of Puppets' and 'Number of the Beast' for ToT... and yes... too much riffs remind me Metallica :( not so much from Maiden...

OK, St. Anger is of course much worse than ToT :tickled:

I understand that young teenagers like masturbation and they haven't heard much other progressive music, so they choose a band what is most popular, they have raw and fast guitar/bass/drum, they don't care much about vocal parts, obviously they choose Dream Theater.

Excuse me! but I don't get it, how can a band with such an awful singer, with so untasteful drum player, with 6-stringed bass, and with absolutely no talent in music writing be somehow better than Opeth ???

no offence, just my opinion :D
No offence, but you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about. I have been a DT for 14 years and am 35 year old now. Hardly make me a teenager.
Untasteful drummer, oh boy, Portnoy is recogised by his peers as one of the best in the business. Obviously you have to have talent to play a 6 string bass, that his only crime ?

You think you can post such nastiness and put a smiley at the end and think you can get away with such an immaure post ?
Wrong

It sounds just like Liquid Tension Experiment.

Alright...I never post here but I had to respond to that comment only because it made me chuckle. I would hope it'd sound like LTE because 3/4 of LTE is in Dream Theater!

And I know who Adagio is...they sound similar to Symphony X

anyhow

*retreating back to the Nevermore forum*

Yeah, I know that a few of the Dream Theater guys are in Liquid Tension Experiment and I should have made more comments on that statement. I was saying that they should just put those on Dream Theater albums because I see no point in making an album that sounds just like your other band. That is all.

gaz said:
No offence, but you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about. I have been a DT for 14 years and am 35 year old now. Hardly make me a teenager.
Untasteful drummer, oh boy, Portnoy is recogised by his peers as one of the best in the business. Obviously you have to have talent to play a 6 string bass, that his only crime ?

You think you can post such nastiness and put a smiley at the end and think you can get away with such an immaure post ?
Wrong

No offence**********************************************
He said untasteful, not untalented. There is a difference. I recognize him as one of the best technical drummers out there but as far as being creative...I think not. Everything I've heard from DT after Infinity has sounded like LTE. DT will always be one of my favorite bands but DT died when Sherinian left. Maybe thats why the first song on the next album was called regression...and I believe my view on this matter is fact not some fuckin uneducated opinion which so many are willing to stand by these days.

gaz said:

Wrong

Right on, brother.

Zed, if you don't like something, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but making stupid generalizations about the fans as you did cannot be justified by saying it's "your opinion".

Train Of Thought is an oustanding album indeed! of course it's no Opeth... DT is my 2nd fave band behind Opeth, so I might be biased.

LTE and DT sound so similar now because Jordan Rudess joined the band, back when LTE appeared, Derek Sherinian was still in the band. As soon as JR join DT, Mike Portnoy chose to stop making LTE albums because it had become redundant.

After getting about halfway through ToT, I'm really disappointed. I mean, if I wanted to listen to Metallica, I would put on Master of Puppets. I really liked 6doit, but this is a step back. The black and white artwork is appropriate, as the album really lacks color. I'm disappointed. I was expecting something new, but it feels like a combination of Awake, and Master of Puppets. Not real good.

As I Am is Metallica, OK, but it's DREAM THEATER playing Metallica as they would never play it themselves, get my point? LaBrie's vocals are really strong in that one: "for those who understaaaaand, take me as I aaaaam!!!" Awesome.

This Dying Soul is a twisted sick sequel to the colossus Glass Prison. There are even some eastern sounding guitar riffs in the vein of Opeth's Bleak or DT's Home. There's also an obvious reference to Metallica's Blackened. Lyrically brilliant, heavy as ever, and its ending is the sickest (most technical) DT ending I've ever seen. Lightspeed playing WITH soul and virtuosity.

Endless Sacrifice has a very unusual chorus, this is the point where the "nu metal" influence gets evident... Well, that is FAR from nu-metal, for it's DT playing. Furthermore, it's inserted in a whole context, it's not nu-metal by nu-metal. Later on there's an incredible instrumental section, again full of virtuosity and intrincate playing by all bandmembers. One of my favorites.

Honor Thy Father is my least favorite. Here the heavyness really gets meaningless... There are some cool Maiden references (on and on and on and on and oooooooon), the polemical rap section (which I find very amusing BTW) and a cool Megadethish section (don't cross the crooked steps!).

Vacant is a BEAUTIFUL interlude with piano, cello and emotional vocals and lyrics. This piece is VITAL for the album's integrity, because it's our only breathing point. Very very very beautiful.

Stream of Consciousness is a long instrumental, very reminiscent of Metallica's Orion. It's composed of multiple individual melodies (very groovy and Liquid Tensionish) that merge one into another. Not so epic as Dance of Eternity, Erotomania or Metropolis interlude... Well I prefer virtuosity over grooviness and easy playing so I'm biased.

In the Name of God is divine. Definitely the central piece of the album, easily the most melodic (maybe the only one that can be called MELODIC). The chorus is VERY Maidenish, thus brilliant (Listen as the prophet speaks to me/ Killing in the name of God!). One of my favorite moments of the album is the instrumental interlude at 8:36. It's a fast guitar solo backed up by a loud bass funky solo, which feels very dancy. The album ends in a classic DT fashion, an epic fade-out.

Train of Thought is clearly an EVOLUTION for Dream Theater. People who are upset with its heavyness were expecting more of the same. I&W, Awake and Scenes were all brilliant, but there couldn't be a replay of those albums. The tendency with metal bands is to evolve softening their sound, and that is usually a bomb for most fans (Metallica, Theatre of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Katatonia, Celestial Season, etc). DT is such a versatile band that it walks in multiple directions with their music. If this one is heavy, the next may be introspective in the vein of 6 Degress or even soft as Falling Into Infinity (just watch the musical diversity of members' sideprojects for a taste of their broad influences and capacities).

I still need to have a few more listens, but I'm not impressed as of now. I really dislike the production. The previous albums all sounded much cleaner, and I liked that. The raw sound doesn't work. It just feels fake. There should have been another interlude probably, instead of four straight heavy tracks, with not much of a soft break in between. LaBrie sounds like he's trying to be someone else for much of the album. Too much Metallica influence all the way through.

They sound like they're ripping off other bands at times (Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden etc.) instead of being influenced by them. I'm upset with the heaviness but not because I was expecting more of the same, I just wasn't expecting a generic, uninspired album from them. I know I'll like it eventually but for people with such talent they really messed this one up. It's like they just thought "let's be heavy" and used the first 50 heavy riffs that got played.

Blackout said:
So am I brother. So am I.
:) I'm precisely at track 7, that mysterious track!!! Perdition City is pure genius, so is A Quick Fix to Melancholy, just wait for that one!

And to bring this topic back to what it was, no I didn't buy Tot, nor do I plan to. I want to listen to it out of curiosity, but DT just have lost my interest over the years.

A few years back, I really thought that Dream Theater was the ultimate band. The perfection itself. When Chang got Scenes From a Memory, we were in awe. I mean, to me, Dream Theater was god.

Years have passed. Saw DT live, listened to 6DOIT when it came out, all of that. I don't know, after a while I just lost interest. DT's technical prowesses are amazing yes, but to me, something is missing. I'm perfectly okay with people that enjoy their music, but to me it seems like they are trying too hard to create a certain feeling but overdo it...

Anyway, just my two cents on that whole thing.

It's interesting that my musical evolution is the opposite of the author of this thread since I thought that Dream Theater was the BEST band alive during the early 90's even though I didn't care for LaBrie the music was amazing to me! I was thrilled when they put together LTE since I could listen to them without dealing with the vocals. Then.......Pain of Salvation and Opeth enter into my listening experiences and I was BLOWN AWAY with the emotional connection that I made with these bands that DT became an after thought of my listening experiences. As for ToT I'm into my second listen and I'm not going to be telling others to "get this disc" and maybe some day it'll grab me but I'll be reaching for I&W, an edited Scenes or the song Change of seasons when I want to hear some DT.

THANKFULLY there's an internet which OPEN an exciting new experience of music for me!

I tried to listen more of this ToT and it's going only worse... I didn't like much 6doit but this is even worse... they have just lost it what they had once - talent (WTDADU and I&W are fantastic albums!).
difference between Opeth and DT is that Opeth gets only better and better with time, DT is getting worse with every album :( (ok, 'scenes froms the memory' was an exception IMO :) )

Portnoy lovers, yes he has skills and speed, big ego and everything... but his drumming sounds so awful and boring...
Petrucci lovers, he one of the fastest and 'best' guitar player, but he started repeating himself and he produces just less and less good and original riffs.
LaBrie lovers....mmmm... I really doubt that there is any :p
Myung lovers, as I understand he have not written any songs for DT lately... maybe he should...
As I am bass player myself, I have my own opinion about 6-string basses and Myung plaing style. He is again very fast, very very fast... but his bass sounds so blunt and he doesn't have groove like Geddy Lee (Rush) has with his 4-stringed Jazz Fender for example. He is usually pretty low in the mix too...
Rudess, pretty good in LTE but Moore suited better in DT