DT's Train of Thought ultimately kicked Opeth out of my mind

I'm eagerly awaiting ToT in my mailbox, and I plan to listen the fuck out of it. But it's not going to replace or kick out or usurp anything in any major way. Bands do that daily for me, it doesn't mean much.

I dunno...I have 'Scenes', but after listening to it thoroughly, I felt as if it didn't have the emotional weight of Opeth songs. It was definitely more technical and complicated than the typical Opeth song, but it lacked that certain 'etherealness' I would call it that is a trademark of basically ALL Opeth songs.

As for ToT, I hope DT looks more into what makes songs emotional, rather than just what makes songs complicated and highly technical. Emotion and technicality can work together, you know.

Labries Vocals are an acquired taste, he is an opera trained vocalist FFS and it is ridiculous to say that he is a bad vocalist. IMO he has gone downhill since Awake (as has the music) but TOT is a return to form for me.

If you don't like Labries vocal style, then listen to something else, stop bitching, you can't beat his performance on 'Scarred' or ' Lifting Shaodows..' etc.

Me personally, I like higher vocals eg. Geoff Tate, Roy Khan and Ray Alder etc. so therefore I have no prob with Labrie.

Apprentice's Master said:
I dunno...I have 'Scenes', but after listening to it thoroughly, I felt as if it didn't have the emotional weight of Opeth songs. It was definitely more technical and complicated than the typical Opeth song, but it lacked that certain 'etherealness' I would call it that is a trademark of basically ALL Opeth songs.

As for ToT, I hope DT looks more into what makes songs emotional, rather than just what makes songs complicated and highly technical. Emotion and technicality can work together, you know.
Why are you comparing the two? Does all music have to be compared to Opeth? Why can't you just accept music (good or bad) for what it is?

i haven't heard all of DT's stuff (3 or 4 albums..) but nah. *zzzzZz*

a few of their shorter controlled songs i didn't mind too much, but the rest is just too much wanking and not enough worthwhile content. The singer goes off the rails, the drummer has NO TASTE, and Petrucci's non stop barrage of boring high speed shredding does nothing but add to the wankage factor.

they're all extremely proficient with their instruments, but who fuckin cares. Their songs suffer almost BECAUSE of it.

Progressive? what is prog rock coming to... :(

ham said:
i haven't heard all of DT's stuff (3 or 4 albums..) but nah. *zzzzZz*

a few of their shorter controlled songs i didn't mind too much, but the rest is just too much wanking and not enough worthwhile content. The singer goes off the rails, the drummer has NO TASTE, and Petrucci's non stop barrage of boring high speed shredding does nothing but add to the wankage factor.

they're all extremely proficient with their instruments, but who fuckin cares. Their songs suffer almost BECAUSE of it.

HELL NO!! Don't say their songs "suffer" because of virtuosity, cause it's damn stupid! That's exactly what makes their fame. I think it's pretty natural to enjoy what is beautiful, proficient, challenging and minucious. That's what they're all about! That's what I love to see and hear. DT is one of the most virtuous out there, dot. Whether or not you like virtuosity... ahnnn so this is the point, actually.

It's nonsense to say they're "bad" or something alike. YOU just don't handle preciousism. Their songwriting is brilliant and very emotional IMO.

Sengir*Buendia said:
HELL NO!! Don't say their songs "suffer" because of virtuosity, cause it's damn stupid! That's exactly what makes their fame. I think it's pretty natural to enjoy what is beautiful, proficient, challenging and minucious. That's what they're all about! That's what I love to see and hear. DT is one of the most virtuous out there, dot. Whether or not you like virtuosity... ahnnn so this is the point, actually.

It's nonsense to say they're "bad" or something alike. YOU just don't handle preciousism. Their songwriting is brilliant and very emotional IMO.

It really seems like you've never heard of a thing called opinion.
I agree with "ham" on this cause Train Of Thought could be so much better without all the senseless soloing. Same with Six Degrees.

Their songwriting was brilliant and emotional around the time of Awake. Now it's alright but filled with too much of that soloing. My opinion.

I heard that album today. The most mindless, regressive scale widdling I have ever heard. and I've heard the last dream theater album.

ham said:

If I'm in a special mood, I can really dig what they do (except for the awful vocals.....and I love high vocals, such as King Diamond, but LaBrie just sounds painful), but most of the time, I just cant take the fact that there's really no emotion in their music. And, to me, emotion is what music's all about.

And, more often than not, DT lacks it.

SoundMaster said:
Well, to be fair, in the booklet of 6Degrees, he DOES list himself as playing lead drums! C'mon, you've got to be kidding me. That is a burning example of ego writ large!
That has to be the funniest thing I've read all day. It's just a sign that the man has a sense of humour :)

SoundMaster said:
If I'm in a special mood, I can really dig what they do (except for the awful vocals.....and I love high vocals, such as King Diamond, but LaBrie just sounds painful), but most of the time, I just cant take the fact that there's really no emotion in their music. And, to me, emotion is what music's all about.

And, more often than not, DT lacks it.

the fuck?

'Scenes' made me fucking cry

If you say there's no emotion you really don't get it. Scenes is full of emotions. Other real emotional songs are Space-Dye Vest, Disappear, and the second disc of Six Degrees. Maybe you think emotion is something different than what I think, but Scenes is the most emotional album I've ever heard. And as for Portnoy being arrogant, I don't see that. I think that one person probably just made it up, and then people who didn't like DT just went along with it. I think he's got a sense of humor. He's fan-friendly too. He went and released all of the bootlegs and old demos and stuff.

buchkoba00 said:
Why are you comparing the two? Does all music have to be compared to Opeth? Why can't you just accept music (good or bad) for what it is?
Because this is the Opeth section of the boards, so just talking about DT would be considered off topic in here.

After hearing negative comments THE DAY it came out....I could relate to them listening to ToT for the first time....

after listening more and more......I love this fucking CD!

DT has done so much and they still push themselves...

7 songs some people complained...
I couldn't imagine any more!

The time they completed the album plus all the touring etc... its quite spectacular!
This album has more of an epic-metal-prog type feel to it...something you can play along to a movie.

Vacant/Stream of Consciousness is simply amazing....the riffage...the solo's.....the composition...the feel.....oh my god, this is stuff you can just appreciate more and more and more with each and every listen.

BOTTOM LINE:

Dream Theater; You have done it once again....thank you for making such amazing music.

The more I listen to ToT the more I get used to it and kinda like it but I _hate_ how generic it is and how they've just ripped off bands (Metallica and Megadeth in particular) instead of being inspired by them.

Judas Pissed said:
The more I listen to ToT the more I get used to it and kinda like it but I _hate_ how generic it is and how they've just ripped off bands (Metallica and Megadeth in particular) instead of being inspired by them.
Thats pure bullshit and you know it.