ENTOMBED

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Monkey Puss (Live in London)

entombed_monkey.jpg

Just listening to Clandestine, I always thought they had a odd tone to them. You know what amps they used for this? Laney maybe?

their tone sounds alot like the boss heavy metal (HM2) pedal to me.
Really nasty with alot of lows.

They do use Boss distortion into unsuspecting Marshall's. Every time I see them live, they always have the best sound as a band. It's very multidimensional. So many heavy bands these days sound so ratty live and hurt my ears. It bums me out because I want to enjoy them. I just can't. Entombed never fails to kick serious ass live though.

Entombed's first two albums, and the Crawl EP (not to mention the Nihilist demos) are some of my all time favourite albums. However, I saw them a few years back with Grave, Dismember and Unleashed and they were easily the weakest band of the night. Real shame, I didn't even realise it was them playing until they played Crawl!

Anyway, as far as I know the secret to the "Sunlight Sound" was a Boss HM-2, with everything turned up to 10, into a fairly cheap Marshall head, not sure about the settings there though. However, I remember hearing elsewhere that it was actually Orange amps... however when some of the bands who achieved that sound were 16-17 I can't really imagine teenagers being able to afford Orange amps. Still, I guess it could have been a studio amp?

Boss HM2 into a pretty cranked Peavey Studio transistor amp is the secret.

Entombed's first two albums, and the Crawl EP (not to mention the Nihilist demos) are some of my all time favourite albums. However, I saw them a few years back with Grave, Dismember and Unleashed and they were easily the weakest band of the night. Real shame, I didn't even realise it was them playing until they played Crawl!

Anyway, as far as I know the secret to the "Sunlight Sound" was a Boss HM-2, with everything turned up to 10, into a fairly cheap Marshall head, not sure about the settings there though. However, I remember hearing elsewhere that it was actually Orange amps... however when some of the bands who achieved that sound were 16-17 I can't really imagine teenagers being able to afford Orange amps. Still, I guess it could have been a studio amp?

Ah, cheers! What are your sources for that? Do you know exactly what amp it is?

I don't think the HM-2 has a mid control, so I guess they're scooped on the amp.

Oops, I misread that - I thought that the Marshall was the "everything maxed out" device :D

The Left Hand Path CD booklet says:

"We have Peavey amps, we have a distortion pedal and a Heavy Metal pedal and everything on 10.....The amp is actually very little, only 40 watts"

Edit: Listening to Left Hand Path now. That's a pretty nasty unpleasing sound to the ears. Brutal yes, nice................well not really. :lol:

The Left Hand Path CD booklet says:

"We have Peavey amps, we have a distortion pedal and a Heavy Metal pedal and everything on 10.....The amp is actually very little, only 40 watts"

Edit: Listening to Left Hand Path now. That's a pretty nasty unpleasing sound to the ears. Brutal yes, nice................well not really. :lol:

Cheers! That is from the reissued version, I've got the original press which only has a thanks list in the inlay.

I'd like to point out that I had a day and a half to do this and they didn't use my mix on the video/dvd version. There was only one guitar due to technical problems in two songs if I remember correctly. I actually told the label the recording wasn't fit for release after hearing it.