JOB FOR A COWBOY

It gets a little boring after a while though, the vocalist might have dodged the pig squeals but he sounds a tad bit monotonous.

I'm curious about the details of the guitars too but i don't want to be info-greedy

It gets a little boring after a while though, the vocalist might have dodged the pig squeals but he sounds a tad bit monotonous.

I'm curious about the details of the guitars too but i don't want to be info-greedy

I love it, but I really have to agree with you on that. I would of liked a wider vocal range.

just bought the cd earlier today and everything sounds great as usual... killer job by Andy once again. all the drum tones are kiiler. Snare/tom fills sound very precise and very sample heavy. sounds great but it makes me think perhaps it was some poor sounding original drums or perhaps a stylistic consideration or deliberate aesthetic choice maybe? either way... another sweet mix by Sneap Doggy Dogg. \m/

the snare/tom fills sound more sampled than usual for Andy's work.... still sounds great all the same... but it makes me think perhaps he was sent some pretty poor sounding original drum sounds to work with or it's perhaps a stylistic consideration or deliberate aesthetic choice maybe?

I have a theory on this one, James...

They used one of their previous drummers to write/record the album. I've seen this guy live with JFAC on two separate occasions - both times, he absolutely sucked. random 10bpm changes, flams all over the place, sloppy blastbeats, and nothing very technical.

He quit the band to play hardcore last year. How does that suddenly make him so much better at playing deathmetal, as on this record?

I honestly think they recorded the OH's with something like mesh heads or mutes + triggers on the drums, and edited or programmed most of the acoustic hits.

Elliot didn't quit to play hardcore, the rest of the guys weren't too happy. I was on a tour with them last August before he left. He liked to improvise a lot n it kinda threw the band off from time to time
He doesn't suck, the drumming on Genesis could be toned down a bit but at least its interesting.

I think the lyrics are pretty cool, bit of a concept album really isnt it

Elliot didn't quit to play hardcore, the rest of the guys weren't too happy. I was on a tour with them last August before he left. He liked to improvise a lot n it kinda threw the band off from time to time
He doesn't suck, the drumming on Genesis could be toned down a bit but at least its interesting.

I think the lyrics are pretty cool, bit of a concept album really isnt it

Sorry dude... straight from the mouth's of the other guys - he wanted to play shit like Stick to your Guns and whatnot. The guy sucks.

hahah hip hop

on another note look at these sales

LW TW DAILY TOP 20 ROCK ALBUMS TUESDAY 5/15/07 %
-- 1* Linkin Park Minutes To Midnight WEA/ Warner Bros. --
-- 2* Megadeth United Abominations WEA/ Roadrunner --
3 3 Nine Inch Nails Year Zero UMGD/ Interscope -40
1 4 Rush Snakes & Arrows WEA/ Atlantic -51
-- 5* Job For A Cowboy Genesis Metal Blade --
4 6 Modest Mouse We Were Dead Before... SBME/ Epic -19
2 7 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Baby 81 RCA/ Red Ink -55
6 8 Peter Bjorn & John Writer's Block Almost Gold Recordings -15
5 9 Daughtry Daughtry SBME/ RCA -45
11 10* Fall Out Boy Infinity On High UMGD/ Island 25
7 11 Silversun Pickups Carnavas Dangerbird -28
8 12 Killers Sam's Town UMGD/ Island -29
13 13* Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium WEA/ Warner Bros. 19
15 14* Incubus Light Grenades SBME/ Epic 20
9 15 Nickelback All The Right Reasons WEA/ Roadrunner -43
- 16* Sick Puppies Dressed Up As Life EMM/ Virgin -
14 17 Buckcherry 15 Eleven Seven Music 0
18 18* Hinder Extreme Behavior UMGD/ Universal 13
- 19* Mims Music Is My Savior EMM/ Capitol -
10 20 Muse Black Holes & Revelations WEA/ Warner Bros. -51

that is pretty big. sneaps got 2 records up there too

wow guitars sound good. this is the whole like "between the burried and me" whacky type metal stuff. its ok. i cant realy listen to it because it fails to establish a steady rhythm for a prolonged time. its pretty good, whatever.

check out myspace.com/emmure

production is super super tight. it was the first time i heard metal production that blew me away since i heard my first andy sneap producer or mixed record.

producer was zeuss in massachsusets. i was at some of the tacking sessions. these guys in the band are friends of mine. one krank krankstein, to two cabs. one mesa cab one krank cab w v30s. one cab had sm57 another one had md421.

i dont mean to hijack thread, its just that it is kind of in the same genre. very very odd death metal

well i mean it's whacky.

it;s not cannibal corpse or morbid angel or vader lol but i mean it's pretty heavy from a "extreme" standpoint. labels and semantids are one thing. i just think it's a trend amongst the metal scene last couple of years. between the burried and me, etc. a lot of stuff on the east cost. like post-hardcore.

aramism said:
check out myspace.com/emmure

I took a listen...but as soon as you said Massachusetts i almost knew what they sounded like.
It seems most of the stuff coming out of that area is metal/hardcore

production's cool, but I hear bands like this all the time

Anway JFAC...It gets a bit boring after a couple listens.

i hate the way emmure sounds in the typical sense of tough guy victory sound with low tuned break downs plastering the length of the effort.

but i would have no problem producing their album, and giving it my all. personal taste is one thing, and professionalism / business taste is another. i would love to record a band like emmure because of the solidity it needs, and the thick mesh of string tone.

but all of that aside, in my personal time i would probably find my self listening to job for a cowboy rather than emmure. i've recorded way too many break downs to listen to them in my own free time...

i've recorded way too many break downs to listen to them in my own free time...

I don't know if that should be on a shirt, or sticker, or engraved into a wall plague in studios.

But anywhoz, finally took a good listen to the new JFAC, and thankfully it is a change from "Doom". Though, its only worth about one or two listens before it wears thin. Mainly because almost all of the songs seem to just have the same feel, and kind of sound linear. All that aside, they do retain solid death metal traits, which may help in steering their previous gimmick happy, fairweather fans, who just want quick satisfaction without substance.

But..I might listen to this a month or so down the line, and have a fresh ear for it.

Hey guys, Cory Spotts here. I produced/engineered "Genesis" here in AZ and I'm a recording geek and love when people share info, so I'm going to share a little with you. I'm not intimite with Andy's methods and I'm not going to give any of his stuff away, but he definitely delivered some great mixes and we're all stoked on his work.

For JFAC we tracked with Ibanez/EMG equipped guitars into a VHT Deliverance and a Krank Krankenstein, and direct with a Radial JDI. We used a combination of Shure 57/Senn421/Royer R121/DI. I basically just wanted to give Andy lots of freedom with the guitars but I'm not sure exactly what he ended up using. I know he added a reamped track or two but I don't know exactly what he used or if he kept the original tones. All I know is that it came back sounding excellent. I think that Brent's bass playing adds a lot to the overall guitar attack as well, we just ran him direct with a bubinga Warwick bass if I remember correctly.

Drums were tracked normally and samples of the drums were placed during editing to be mixed with the original tracks; I'm not sure what Andy ended up using but it definitely got the job done. Elliott has incredibly fast hands so we wanted to be sure you could hear every little hit, hence the sampling. We used a dDrum kit with an Axis pedel to capture the kick triggers and everything else was mic'd.

Thanks for the interest and I hope you guys are digging the record.

Cory

thanks Cory, that helps shed some light on a few of my questions. btw, Andy mentioned he used his 5150 for the reamping.