CHIMAIRA

I miss when I used to go see these guys when they were local. They changed so much since back then....

And I'm glad to hear Ben is the assistant engineer. He is great already, and hopefully he will learn even more from Andy...

i went to an album playback party last week for new Chimaira album.
Sounded great!
musically i'd say it was more back to the "impossibility...." style which i think is good as i wasnt too keen on the last album.
Production was great as u'de expect from the sneapster, drums sounded massive! especially the big toms!!
thicker, heavier bass tone than they've had before, although that could just be the p.a. that the album was playing thru.
lots of big grooves and thrashy Fear Factory style riffs, not much singing, just some alice in chains type harmony vocals on some songs later in the album.
Opening song (which i think they r doing video for) is real balls to the wall chimaira, belter of an album opener.
and the last track had blast beats!:headbang:

Nice article about the making of resurrection (Mark Hunter interview):
http://www.caustictruths.com/mainsite/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1695

"And then Andy decided to come to America and record. So the drums sound great. I was really
particular about making sure that he used a natural sound. You know a lot of bands out now are using these samply
sounds, and the snare sound like fake and I was very adamant about having everything be realistic and nothing sampled.
I wanted a really big live sound. He was a little out of his element because he's used to those Arch
Enemy's of the world, who want the triggered snares and everything to sound like crystal clear. But he nailed it
and we couldn't be happier with the final results"

Great another guy who thinks that if Andy use samples could ruin the drum sound.....
I bet Andy used samples made out of the kit on this recording....

"He was a little out of his element because he's used to those Arch
Enemy's of the world, who want the triggered snares and everything to sound like crystal clear
"

As a person who has his own communication issues, I don't know if he meant it to come out like he did, but I sure hope not because he sounds like another ignorant doosh.

...And will someone please explain to me why it's ok to punch in on guitar, bass, and vox, but not to replace drums?

Seriously, someone please explain that to me.

"

...And will someone please explain to me why it's ok to punch in on guitar, bass, and vox, but not to replace drums?

Seriously, someone please explain that to me.

This is how I look at it coming from a music fan probably first and a musician second and a home studio hobbyist last:

With punching in guitars, bass and vox, it's still at least a live recording of the musicians coming directly from their hands/voice and knowing that there is thought behind what they are doing at that particular moment in time where as replacing drums after the performance with pre-recorded samples in an editing program by someone other than the drummer even, makes it seem soulless and programed...to me anyway, but that's if I know the drums are replaced. The more pieces of the kit that I know are replaced, the stronger I feel about this but that's only if I know. If it sounds real to me and I don't know, I just think "Damn that sounds good!" :lol:
If it sounds real to me and I do know, I kinda blow it off and think "well at least the drummer original played this"
If it sounds real and good then that's what matters most to me in the end though.
I kinda look at it like a robot vs. human type thing.