CHIMAIRA

so should we not compress things or eq them either, because this is changing the tone and dynamic of the original performance. Should we not cut and paste guitars? surely its whatever makes for the best end result and as long as the band can pull it off live when its time to tour, I don't see an issue.

what about re-amping guitars and using auto-tune or melodyne or the like on vox? are those bad too? seriously, using samples is not an issue unless you just aren't good at blending them in. just as auto-tuning is not an issue unless you go all "Cher" with it, and re-amping is not an issue unless you do it with a V-amp into a crate combo and mic it with a radio shack special... or some other crap set-up.

what about re-amping guitars and using auto-tune or melodyne or the like on vox? are those bad too? seriously, using samples is not an issue unless you just aren't good at blending them in. just as auto-tuning is not an issue unless you go all "Cher" with it, and re-amping is not an issue unless you do it with a V-amp into a crate combo and mic it with a radio shack special... or some other crap set-up.

Couldnt agree more. we are making some progress, at least the dumb basturds that thought triggering your kik drum was adding notes to what was actually being played have dwindled in numbers, but now if they could just wrap there water headed minds around drum replacment all will be good.

By the way James your avitar is fucking funny man, always knew you were an alien.

Those comments about samples and whatnot HAD to be out of context or something, as any Chimaira record sounds as sampled as any other...Of course, maybe they wanted to get away from it, but I still don't think the comments were meant to "sound" as bad as they did, haha. Andy worked with them, though, so he'd know for sure ;)

i really love drums sound of today's music but i wanted to see bands starting to record more organic drum sounds. I think the best producers in this kind of recording is ross robinson and everytime i listen to roots of sepultura i like to think how all those/these replaced/trigged drums recordings would sound with that kind of sound, that's a really heavy and hot drum sound! im saying it cuz every today's band sounds the same! i dont see any issue in replacing drums and it's like james said: "unless you are not good at blending it"!

i really love drums sound of today's music but i wanted to see bands starting to record more organic drum sounds. I think the best producers in this kind of recording is ross robinson and everytime i listen to roots of sepultura i like to think how all those/these replaced/trigged drums recordings would sound with that kind of sound, that's a really heavy and hot drum sound! im saying it cuz every today's band sounds the same! i dont see any issue in replacing drums and it's like james said: "unless you are not good at blending it"!

It will inevitably come back to metal eventually, probably not soon though.

I see the point you guys are making and know where you're coming from.

I guess it stems back to the bands/albums that had the biggest impact on me from The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath to all the late '80's thrash bands and early '90's death metal bands where as far as I know the drums weren't replaced and sounded great to me at the time.

All the EQing and compressing and any effects were expected and I love all that as I always much preferred studio albums over live performances yet it was still all very real to me in a live sense.

I realize that replacing drums makes them cleaner, clearer, and closer to perfection. Godless Endeavor, Doomsday Machine, Enemy Of God among others are simply amazing and beautiful but when I hear that drums are replaced I kinda feel a little (dare I say) cheated. :erk: (digging myself deeper here) :rolleyes:

Drum replacing is still a fairly new concept to me however. I never knew drums were replaced as much as they were before joining this forum. I know I was listening to your work Andy and not even knowing about drum replacing or even who you were.

I'm basically a laid back, "whatever's cool with me" kind of guy with at least a fairly open mind who likes alot of different kinds of guitar tones and drum sounds so the drum replacing thing isn't a huge deal to me but yet in the back of my mind lies that "C" word that I mentioned and don't want to say again. Maybe as time goes by that will fade away.

I don't want to argue with anyone, especially you or James for whom i have much respect for and I 100% agree about whatever makes for the best end result. I just hope you guys get where I'm coming from with this.
Maybe this is similar to how Mark feels also...don't know.

I'm just an inexperienced nobody anyway with not a single connection in the music industry so pay me no mind.

I see the point you guys are making and know where you're coming from.

I guess it stems back to the bands/albums that had the biggest impact on me from The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Black Sabbath to all the late '80's thrash bands and early '90's death metal bands where as far as I know the drums weren't replaced and sounded great to me at the time.

All the EQing and compressing and any effects were expected and I love all that as I always much preferred studio albums over live performances yet it was still all very real to me in a live sense.

I realize that replacing drums makes them cleaner, clearer, and closer to perfection. Godless Endeavor, Doomsday Machine, Enemy Of God among others are simply amazing and beautiful but when I hear that drums are replaced I kinda feel a little (dare I say) cheated. :erk: (digging myself deeper here) :rolleyes:

Drum replacing is still a fairly new concept to me however. I never knew drums were replaced as much as they were before joining this forum. I know I was listening to your work Andy and not even knowing about drum replacing or even who you were.

I'm basically a laid back, "whatever's cool with me" kind of guy with at least a fairly open mind who likes alot of different kinds of guitar tones and drum sounds so the drum replacing thing isn't a huge deal to me but yet in the back of my mind lies that "C" word that I mentioned and don't want to say again. Maybe as time goes by that will fade away.

I don't want to argue with anyone, especially you or James for whom i have much respect for and I 100% agree about whatever makes for the best end result. I just hope you guys get where I'm coming from with this.
Maybe this is similar to how Mark feels also...don't know.

I'm just an inexperienced nobody anyway with not a single connection in the music industry so pay me no mind.

Dude I don't think anyone was knocking you that bad! It's not like your opinion is invalid -- there are a lot of people who would agree with you. Unfortunately, some of them turn out to be pompous assholes who are still upset because they got rejected at the winter prom their freshman year and never recovered etc etc....eg JP22...and most of this board has gotten sort of tender there...anyway, dont trip

just did my thing

I came to this forum because, after hearing Stuck Mojo's and Pissing Razor's stuff, I had to find out what wizard was behind this ultra pristine metal production.:heh: Andy's sound is just fucking ridiculously top notch. I found myself listening to bands, such as Cradle of Filth, no offense COF, just to hear this pristine production. I think Andy has the best ears in the business.
This is the sound of production I always wanted to hear back in the 80's.:lol: David T Chastain's "Seventh Of Never", Exodus' "Plesures of the Flesh", Metallica's "Ride the Lightning". These are examples of albums where the drums just sound "wrong" to me. To the point where I cannot listen to these albums anymore because of it! Sorry "Mark Whitaker":yuk: I've never heard a better drum sound, than Andy/Andhol's new Chimaira track! Listen to that snare, and toms on the rolls. That's the drum sound I wanna hear! It sucks that Andy has to hear whining about his technique, when it's the best sounding goddamn production on the planet!!!!

i just feel that all the bands sound they have a "machine drummer" behind them. everytime i listen to hendrix ou zeppelin i have the feeling they are doing something "real" and everytime i listen to these today's band i can't imagine how great they would be live or in a rehearsal room (i mean about the sound itself). Don't get me wrong, i just feel that sampled drums take out the "feeling", the sense of pulse behind the music. of course, there are AWESOME drummers out there and they can play really good but it's not the same thing when you listen to hendrix ou even lombardo.... i can feel the real energy in their music! It's what "I" feel about drum replacing but i'm not saying they sound bad and i like this kind of sound, it's weird! :erk:

Auto-tune is for talentless faggots. I've always used it as an extreme last resort when the "vocalist" is too lazy (or tone deaf) to be pushed any further. Then my respect level for the "vocalist" drops exponentially. I've recorded HUGE r&b artists that really blow ass in the booth, and had the nerve to come whisper in my ear, "You're gonna autotune that, right?" Fuck that shit.

And for the record, Ross Robinson blends in samples on the drums too. Igor Cavalera uses drumkats, too. At least he did when I worked with him.

And for the record, Ross Robinson blends in samples on the drums too. Igor Cavalera uses drumkats, too. At least he did when I worked with him.

when did u work with him? If roots has sampled drums, that was very well used! that drums sounds fantastic! there are lots of others records by robinson that got a nice organic drum sound, anyway i dont believe roots was sampled!

Hey Andy,

What ended up being the final tone for the guitars on the new Chimaira? They sound fantastic. Very curious what was used to record them as far as the amps and mics.