CHIMAIRA

we have used samples on all our records, and are responsible for the snare drum you have heard on most of colins records after he did impossibility...
Hey Mark!
What do you mean by this? Can you explain a bit? ;)

I agree that, although I only heard a few short clips, the sound of this records kicks ass (god those guitars...) and is the best you ever had (though I only have "The Impossibility of Reason" and "Chimaira"). But hey, how could it be elseway with Andy behind the desk...

Also, i can fill you in the overdub tones to guys. From what andy told me, i think he just reamped the rhythms. If im wrong, he can fill you guys in on the leads and such.

Anyhow, the leads were my jsx mostly as well as my modded 800. The cleans in the beginning of no reason to live where the kustom 72 coupe we have at the studio. Also i did overdubs with everything from our 5150s, the engl blackmore, recto, and uberschall. I even did some overdubs with the recto running direct in with the palmer pdi 03 for a more in your face...ratted out sound, particulary on killing the beat i believe.

I used our mesa cab micd with a 57,beyer m201, and an i5. Api, and vintech pres.

The acoustic on six was my taylor limited edition koa 314 micd with a royer 121 and a u87 in figure 8.

Um the bass was an ernie ball strerling through a ua610.

Vocals were a neumann tlm103 to api 312 to dbx 165.

Not a huge fan of the extremely triggered-sounding kick on the new track. I believe Chimaira could've benefited from a more natural snare/kick combo. Right now its just the standard *click click smack* job and I think it takes away from the music. But that may not mean too much, as I'm not a fan of the band, and also not one to be telling Andy how to do his job.

Besides that I think the rest of the track is great, and essentially how I was expecting it to sound. It's a shame it has to be showcased on myspace with its horrid mp3 compression.

got my copy in the post today, awesome production

the dvd is really cool, some 'concerntrating face' footage of andy tuning the drums and a cool interview with the man
not really anything about the equipment side of things in it but i guess the average buyer would be bored stiff about microphones and placement etc

but yeh, that albums probably coming to close to being my fave sounding album ever - it's tone central!

Just picked it up today with the bonus DVD. I don't care what anyone says about Chimaira, they are straight up one of my favorites. As I've always said, not reinventing the wheel, but playing some good no frills metal. And, despite everything you hear about attitudes and personas, any band that is willing to bare it all and talk about their problems and shortcomings both as people and/or as a band has my respect.

CD sounds awesome.

But, I'm confused. Andy engineered and mixed, and Audiohammer produced and engineered. But, on the DVD I only see Andy for drum tracking and everything else at Audiohammer. Then, I read here Andy overdubbed rhythms during the mixing stage.

So, Andy, were you only in the states for the drum tracking?

All in all, for all the people involved on this album, awesome work (Axeman and Andy, of course, and Mark if he ever reads this forum anymore, lol).

This album is really great, I think it's definately Chimaira's best and some of Andy's best as well, if not the best! The drums sound amazing, and they inspire me to get my drums sounding better! :lol:

yes, I tracked drums, everything else was done in florida with Jason and Mark, then I mixed but also reamped gtrs. I'm actually a little dissapointed with the mastering, I feel its too squashed, theres alot more compression on the finished thing.

I went off Chimaira for a few years, I didnt really dig there last album. I just thought, fuck it, So got the new one and I love it. Rob and Matt have pulled the riffs right out of the bag on this one, nice work indead. The mix in my opinoin is spot on for me, As mentioned above by Josh, it is Tone central. Congrats to everyone who work on it!

Just curious Andy, So don't you ever get a say on the mastering? To if you like it or not, or maybe something needs changing?

yes, I tracked drums, everything else was done in florida with Jason and Mark, then I mixed but also reamped gtrs. I'm actually a little dissapointed with the mastering, I feel its too squashed, theres alot more compression on the finished thing.

I'd assume that it's normally planed that you are to re-amp guitars, since the clean signal is required, but is it normally one certain parties decision (you, band, lable...), or one that get's made when everyone agrees on it?

The kick and snare are so freakin' nice on this album!
I'd kill to get my hand on a sample of that.... :)..

Andy, allthough you might not be satisfied with the whole thing yourself, I think you've done an awesome job..deff one of my top 3 albums of you (my opinion)!

Arch Enemy - Doomsday
Nevermore - TGE
Chimaira - Resurrection

i didn't get sent a copy of mastered version, which is a shame as yes, it's my say usually. But i was stuck right in the middle of Megadeth session by then.
It isn't like Ted to compress it so hard tho, so I don't know why he did.

Its usually down to me about reamping.