CHIMAIRA

playing it loud in my car, there's so many electronic/synth stuff i missed the first few listens, gotta crank it to hear that stuff which is cool - subliminal eh :loco:

I'm curious if Andys ever turned down mixing a band (after agreeing to it originally) after being sent the tracks. Like terrible overhead sounds, sloppy as hell un-editable guitars, nasty vocals etc I'm not fussed about naming bands or anything...Although I doubt it'd happen really!

That's a lil off the subject though.

...back to it....

best drum sound ever!

My immediate thought, after the very first "open-spaced" snare hit about five seconds into the CD, was that it definitely seemed on the over-compressed side...you can hear that room sound/reverb decay being unnaturally pumped a little, which was surprising. Overall though, the record sounds incredibly good, and even with a slightly less-than-desireable mastering job I will quickly agree with everyone else that the mix rates way up there among your best, Andy :kickass:

I love "Killing the Beast" but after 5-6 tracks of squished-ness mastering, ear fatigue starts kicking in and my attention wanders with this one. That's fairly common with my ears and too much compression usage in mastering.

OH FUCK YEAH! I Cannot stop blasting this record!!!!! FUCKING BRAVO!:lol:
This is one GREAT metal production. ALL the songs are fucking brutal, and every sound is fucking STELLAR! :worship: Andy, Jason, Mark: This is the ULTIMATE metal production! The DVD is so fucking rad! The production footage is fucking priceless!!! I've been playing the DVD, then the album (while playing madden) repeatedly all day!
:kickass:

How long is the DVD? Is it similar to the youtube stuff?

I may just pick it up for the DVD, I haven't heard much Chimaira before but I'd love to see the production side of things. I need some new music. Will pick it up tomorrow I reckon.

Oh yeah, none of the Chimairatube stuff is on it. Same (better production), but all different scenes! TONS of (nearly all) studio footage, and Jason's antics, what can I say, man, he's a fucking madman, genius producer and a fucking wicked fucking guitarist! Chimaira has always been one of my favorite bands, so this DVD made my fucking day, man! It's(I'm guessing) an hour and a half long! You gotta pick it up!

but did he post them then?

Not that I'm aware of...it might be cool offcourse..but Andy is a busy man, lots of artists knocking on his door nowadays...I think his popularity grew enormous the last couple of years...so I don't blame him.

Although my mixes still suck, I wouldn't have made this much progress if I had not read the tips he posted here on the forum, and also offcourse all the members that share their "secrets"..

I think my favorite track is "Needle", track 10. That main verse rhythm is ridiculously crushing, but I can't get over how awesome it sounds when it gets to the second verse, when the relationship of the two and four count snare hits get slid (I think) a half-measure apart from the guitar riff. The snare drum acts like there's a single measure of 5/4 before the second verse breaks in (where Andols plays that sweet fill), but everything else stays on the same 4/4 timing...I don't know how better to describe it, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm trying to explain. Is there a musical term for that kind of thing? Anyway, I just REALLY love it when bands do that, because it presents a totally different way of listening to the exact same guitar riff, and it's super trippy for the attuned listener's mind when the actual change happens. Chimaira do it really well, as do Mnemic, and probably some other bands I'm familiar with that I can't think of at the moment. Does anyone have any other bands to suggest that do that same kind of thing?

I think you're describing "turning the beat around" which might be a stupid way of saying it, but it's definatly a term that's used for it. Anyway, I think Chimaira were doing it a lot on the self titled. (ouro of Nothing Remains). Cool stuff.

The DVD was pretty interesting, but I would have liked more recording footage and less "we have had it so hard in ther past..." kinda stuff.:lol: Morgoth part was entertaining. Andols is an awesome drummer. The very start of the "Andy Part" with Andols drumming is awesome. Nice stack of amps in the guitar tracking parts. They were using the Mesa, but where the guitars later reamped by Andy?

As far as the CD goes, it might need a few more listens for me. The production is awesome (so that's reason enough to listen) but not all the songs have got my attention. "Resurrection" and "Empire" are cool, a nice way to start and finish the disc. "Worthless" kinda reminds me of Sepultura.

Pretty cool overall.