CHIMAIRA

one thing really great about this album, are the samples. they sound phenomonal. they have a very distinctive place in the mix. ive noticed in other threads mentions of 'killed mixes' when bass drops hit. on this record, they thrive.

think spicuzza (their sampler) did all that eqing, etc.. himself, and they were just dropped in?

listen to the synth @1:37 in 'The Flame'. Fucking sick.

i guess it's just me, but the new album Resurrection just doesn't "feel" like chimaira. It's as if they're trying way too many different things that aren't their own stylings. I was expecting an album that was a cross between the impossibility of reason and their self-titled now that andols is back, but instead the new one just seems confused. The only tracks that stand out are Six, No Reason to Live, The Flame, and Needles(edit: and i suppose resurrection), whereas I could listen to TIOR in it's entireity, it didn't leave my car cd player for an entire summer. Empire would be on the list, but something about that track just doesn't fit. I like Six, but I have to skip through to about a minute in, I just can't take the intro seriously. I guess my expectations were too high. Still, Andols drumming is reason enough to listen. I like Hunters voice when it's just his voice, without sampling effects.

odd, I find the self titled to sound the most "unlike" their previous work, and I find Resurrection a nice maturation in their sound from TIOR to now. Plus, the killer production doesn't hurt ;)

I guess it depends how we're defining "sound"...if I only consider instrumental, it's a great album, but with the way the vocals are in some tracks, the songs become bland, or just strange, like in the beginning of Six, or "YEAAAH" line in a different track..and what exactly is "killing the beast"? I'd rather listen to Down Again. The majority of the fans seem to enjoy it, so, it's good for the band, I just wish they had thought about a few of the tracks, or at least the lyrics and vocals before they finalized this one.

On another note, I think it would be pretty sweet if they would make a re-release of some of their old tracks, like This Present Darkness, or Sphere, or Lend a Hand, with the maturity of the bands talent the songs could be pretty amazing. I guess that's sort of going backwards.

i guess it's just me, but the new album Resurrection just doesn't "feel" like chimaira. It's as if they're trying way too many different things that aren't their own stylings. I was expecting an album that was a cross between the impossibility of reason and their self-titled now that andols is back, but instead the new one just seems confused. The only tracks that stand out are Six, No Reason to Live, The Flame, and Needles(edit: and i suppose resurrection), whereas I could listen to TIOR in it's entireity, it didn't leave my car cd player for an entire summer. Empire would be on the list, but something about that track just doesn't fit. I like Six, but I have to skip through to about a minute in, I just can't take the intro seriously. I guess my expectations were too high. Still, Andols drumming is reason enough to listen. I like Hunters voice when it's just his voice, without sampling effects.
i agree with you dude
i like IOR and self titled over this new one
i mean the songs are all right, but arent a patch on the other 2 albums (excluding pass out of existence)
in my opinion anyway...

I have a question about overheads during the recording.
I'm watching the Making of Resurrection dvd, and I don't understand the mic placement.
There are 3 mics over the drumset and I think they are 2 oh's ad 1 ambient..
What do you think? Which micing tecnique did Andy use? 3:1 tecnique?
I think he used a sort of this
Kit&

I have a question about overheads during the recording.
I'm watching the Making of Resurrection dvd, and I don't understand the mic placement.
There are 3 mics over the drumset and I think they are 2 oh's ad 1 ambient..
What do you think? Which micing tecnique did Andy use? 3:1 tecnique?
I think he used a sort of this
Kit%208.gif

I saw 4 I think.
One left one Right, and above the china left one and above the china right one.
Then on the hihats there is one that's almost 90 degress...under the ride that is close to the hi-hat..

Mark talks about the drums in more detail earlier in this thread. Definitely one of the best sounding drum productions I've heard to date. Kudos to Andy, Jason and Mark for raising the bar on this one:kickass:

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. "This is the fucking album of the year"
I took a break from it for a week. I'm back to it, and it's just the best sounding record out right now. hands down! Not to mention every fucking song is gold, man. This album needs to win grammys or some shit. Fucking Stellar!

:headbang:

I can't believe how much this album has grown on me. I didn't listen to them at all before buying this album I mainly bought it for the DVD which I must say is good to watch initially, but after getting to know the album, the DVD is AWESOME to watch. I now know what songs the little snippets of tracking that are shown belong to. Great album, except "The Flame", still can't listen to it. :erk: I don't get "Killing the Beast" either, but my mate (who is a drummer) likes it the most. :zombie:

just got my copy.....
DAMN! incredible mix, one of the best guitarsounds I've heard in my live...
K, might be the mastering is not perfect, some pumping, minor crackles on the guits here and there, but nothing that really bothers me.

Silly question... I haven't yet checked my CD (left it in the car), but on the copy I just downloaded the section of Needle between 1:57 and 2:13 almost sounds like a direct track found its way into the mix. It's hard left or very close - the left side seems a little less 'dense' and there's more distinct pick/string sound. Anyone else hear this, or is it just on the promo that floats around torrentland?

Jeff

Silly question... I haven't yet checked my CD (left it in the car), but on the copy I just downloaded the section of Needle between 1:57 and 2:13 almost sounds like a direct track found its way into the mix. It's hard left or very close - the left side seems a little less 'dense' and there's more distinct pick/string sound. Anyone else hear this, or is it just on the promo that floats around torrentland?

Jeff

Not sure if you mean the same section (haven't checked it yet)...but I guess yes....if so it's an acoustic guitar I think..
sets me off every time I listen to it....for me it does somehow not do what it's probably meant to do..