TESTAMENT

let's just agree testament should keep on making records and metallica should enjoy their money and call it a day

Agreed. As Hetfield recently said some bands some bands just need to die. Why not start with the Lar and James Douche Quartet? Either that or have Sneap mix their next album. Even if the guest this time is Donny Osmond it would sound better if Sneaped mixed.

Wow, this is a great sounding album... I am really impressed with the drum sound, are the snare and toms natural? or are they blended with samples?

I do think the toms on this sound very natural, wouldn't be surprised if Andy were to say that there were no samples on them tbh. Great sounding album all in.

Yeah, the toms sound very natural and I think the snare sound could be a blend of the natural snare and Andy's snare sample

Hello everyone. Just joined these forums and figured this would be a good place to start.

The Gathering is one of those albums that just has something. The mix gives it this atmosphere that conjures images of fire and brimstone, but in an in-your-face, brutal kind of way. I read earlier that Andy said he didn't think the guitars cut through enough, but I think the darkness and looseness really adds to the atmosphere of the songs. The lower tuning and Chuck's power there helps, but I think one of the main things that gives it that quality is the delay on the vocals. Something about it just sounds demonic. And I could imagine that Lombardo's and DiGiorgio's tracks were done in no time. Haha.

Hey Doug, There are alot of appreciators of the Gathering around here, it truly is an amazing record on all fronts. Its totally worth going into the FAQ and searching around for old topics on the Gathering if you want to nerd out like I do, there have been a few threads outside of this one in which James Murphy and Andy talk a bit more about making that record and other specifics.

Took the time to check out the latest Testament album Andy did. Holy smoke!!! I really think Andy is doing the best mixes out there these days. Just the perfect blend between sample enhanced/real drums. Separation and dynamic mixes!

This is super promising. I liked the production and some of the playing on the last one but couldn't get over other aspects. This just sounds crushing and on point. Wish Andy would pop in and tell us some of the details about the mix on this one.