TESTAMENT

yep it was xxx cab

Thanks for clearing that up. I take it that it was the stock speakers in XXX cab. I am looking for another cab at the moment, and as these are reasonably cheap here in Oz, I might pull the trigger on one of these as I have 2 cabs w/V30s, so I am looking for something different.

My 2 favourite thrash tones now are Exhibit B and the new Testament. Are the XXX cabs close to the Fender 5150 sound wise?

ah damn, sorry!
For some reason I always place gary holt into testament, I really don't know why :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff!

I might aswell add a question into the fold...

I notice you used a phaser/flanger on a tom roll on Last Stand for Independence and did so on the last album....Henchmen Ride I think?

What phaser/flanger is it you use? Everytime I try and use one it gets totally lost in the mix.

New album is da bomb !!!

Andy's (regular album tracks) and Juan's (bonus cover tracks) mixes definitely sound different. Juan's sounds good but a bit less finished or less full or something IMO. On the other end, i dig the guitars a bit more on Juan's (maybe because they have less competition in the mix ?), but when it comes to the full-mix i prefer Andy's.

Songwise this album is awesome. Catchy as hell, amazing and very diverse vocal performance by Chuck, killer solos (killer tone as well during those leads !), cool covers, badass drumming, etc...

I'm a mid gain guy but that kind of album reminds me that high gain is cool as fuck also for some stuff :)

Last but not least, i feel there is definitely some kind of "Testament signature guitar tone" throughout the years.

EDIT : the cover songs are funnier/cooler in terms of riffing and guitars so that might explain why i dig the guitars that much on those (mixed by Juan). Now listening back to Andy's songs, guitars definitely sound killer as well héhé :)

The drum flange I did by bouncing the kit to a stereo track and used metalflanger on it.

Tuning is also lower on the bonus tracks from what I remember so it gives it a different feel.

Tuning is also lower on the bonus tracks from what I remember so it gives it a different feel.

Just guitar/bass or also drums ?

If it's the case for guitar/bass, it's kind of funny it's tuned lower since those are old-school songs from an era where downtuning wasn't the thing yet. But it kind of makes sense and can add an heavier vibe too :)

I would just like to say that if anyone can find the Kemper spots on this album, besides you Andy, I'll give you a dollar :p

loving this album. The drums sound fantastic but for some reason the toms especially are killing me. I keep trying to get that sound and just never do. Really punchy and natural sounding but very smooth at the same time

Chuck sounds absolutely amazing across this whole thing. I swear it sounds like he got younger

another flawless victory Andy \m/

Chuck sounds absolutely amazing across this whole thing. I swear it sounds like he got younger

he sounds like he's at the top of this game.. and he's like what... 51 or something ?

very inspiring

he should team up with john joseph (cro-mags) and show people that you can still be a badass singer in heavy music even after reaching your fifties !

I would just like to say that if anyone can find the Kemper spots on this album, besides you Andy, I'll give you a dollar :p

Did Andy say anything about how much or where on the album he used the Kemper? If it only got used to reamp a few overdubs or part of tracks I guess it would be difficult to point out.

haha I totally forgot about the kemper spots during the first listen through today :lol:
Great album & production! Finally able to hear it in cd quality too!
Quite possibly your best work so far!

At some spots chuck sounds really similar the singer from Mudvayne to me....better obviously, but the tone and rawness of the voice is pretty much the same!

I'm loving the sound of this album - both the material and the mix. At least on my various crappy music listening setups, it seems that the low end is somewhat punchier and fuller than Formation.

Listening to this on Spotify just now. Sounds fantastic! Toms are amazing! (natural?) Bass at the start of Day In The Death is great!

How's the making of DVD? Worth getting?

This is just an all around good sounding album. One thing I never liked about Testaments early stuff was the guitars were so freaking thin I could never hear wtf was actually being played. The guitars on this one are well balanced and the solos are fucking butta..... Nice work!