estimated cost on starting up with protools hd 1

where do you guys get this stuff?? i run loads of RTAS instruments at once in my PTHD rig all the time, with zero troubles... we're talking Battery3 for subdrops and fx, BFD for toms, Superior Drummer for Kicks and Snares, Omnisynth for pads, MachFive, MX4, & Symphonic for piano, synth, and orchestral textures respectively, and more in one particular session that i mixed from about a year or so ago that had no real drums recorded at all... i'd have to crack the session open to even remember the rest. seriously, why in the hell would pro tools run RTAS instruments so ineffectively as you suggest? i've never experienced such crap as you imply.

Well I have, on a PT:HD rig also. I've never experienced solid performance with a drum-sampler (such as BFD2) inside PT:HD, or PTLE, or M-Powered. It runs, sure... but it isn't as glitch free as you're trying to make out. PT definitely has problems with intensive plugins, more so than any other hosts I've come across. I just don't quite know why.

never change a running system...

invest in monitors , work on your room acoustics, buy nice pre's, and great mics.
i think that is the way to really improve your work.

just my 2cents... isnt the real problem compatibility between all daws?
and isnt there a pro tools session converter ? i have to check that...

Well I have, on a PT:HD rig also. I've never experienced solid performance with a drum-sampler (such as BFD2) inside PT:HD, or PTLE, or M-Powered. It runs, sure... but it isn't as glitch free as you're trying to make out. PT definitely has problems with intensive plugins, more so than any other hosts I've come across. I just don't quite know why.
sounds like a personal problem, not a PT problem. i'm not trying to "make out" anything... i simply do not have those issues on any PT rig i've used that has a decent amount of RAM and modern processor, full stop.

my advice is : never change a running system

invest in monitors , work on your room acoustics, buy nice pre's, and great mics.
i think that is the way to really improve your work.
your advice is sound... for most people here anyway, but irrelevant in this type of case... where the OP is being asked for PT specifically by his higher-end clientele... needing to "improve his work", while always a good idea for everyone, is not the issue at hand. his clients are checking to see if he's easily compatible with 99% of the rest of the people they work with ... THAT alone is good enough reason. i thought i could get by forever with DP, but i soon came to the same conclusion that Joey is slowly coming to, and that Lasse has recently arrived at... there is an expectation among higher end clientele that you have PTHD, and you either do it or you suffer for it in some regard. doesn't mean you can't continue a career, but it limits your immediate growth potential once you reach a certain level. that's the fact, wail against it all you want.

the happy upside is that once a switch to PTHD is made, everyone who does it ends up very happy with the work-flow and power of the system.

once you're in the position that the OP is in, making the switch is virtually assured to pay for itself inside of 18 months. that's how it played out for me. income from work i would not have otherwise gotten paid for my HD3 Accel rig in a little over a year. this most definitely won't be the case for everyone here... you have to reach a certain level with your work, and become known for it.

Xst at you people giving this "advice", when you have little to no idea at all what it's like to be in Joey's current position. and i just looove how you all like to insinuate that those of us who have worked for years to climb the ladder high enough to need to make such a switch have somehow been "suckered' or are otherwise "dumb" in some way. keep thinking that smart guys, suits me just fine.

:kickass:

ps, i've actually been in a conversation with one of the A&R staff at a Major label known for metal and rock, discussing a mix i might be doing... and being asked if i had pro tools hd. he was relieved that i did, but went on to tell me that the engineer/producer that was recording the album already, was using DP. i could hear the concern in his voice as he told me this, he clearly didn't think it was a "pro" situation regarding the DAW, though he liked the engineer. i assured him that i was familiar with DP, and actually still owned a working copy of it so i'd be able to port it over to PTHD... the relief in his voice was palpable even over the phone. for better or for worse, pro tools hd IS the industry standard. that may change at some point, but for those of us working in the here and now, it is a very smart option.... and the cherry on top is that it's great to work with.

i didn't end up getting that mix in the end though.... Andy did. ;)

Ah, I see.

Anyone know of any products that are using this Izotope tech currently?

For sample rate conversion just get voxengo's r8brain, you can see it's equally good and it even has a free version. I use it for 48khz,24bit->44khz,16bit

Sorry for the OT

sounds like a personal problem, not a PT problem. i'm not trying to "make out" anything... i simply do not have those issues on any PT rig i've used that has a decent amount of RAM and modern processor, full stop.

Well, it could be yeah. We have a G5 in our attic studio:

n32098056736_1351524_6609.jpg

n32098056736_1351531_8221.jpg

As you can see, it's fairly well stocked. But the computer isn't as great as it could be; its the only weak link really. Like I said, for audio recording, it is solid. But when I try and use BFD2 inside PT:HD on this machine, I tend to get a lot of RTAS streaming errors; I'll be recording a take, and a message will pop-up.

I also recorded a track the other day in PT M-Powered on my home quad-core machine, and got the same thing; although it wasn't nearly as regular.

Like I said; it is usable, but not rock solid. In my experience.

Xst at you people giving this "advice", when you have little to no idea at all what it's like to be in Joey's current position. and i just looove how you all like to insinuate that those of us who have worked for years to climb the ladder high enough to need to make such a switch have somehow been "suckered' or are otherwise "dumb" in some way. keep thinking that smart guys, suits me just fine.

Certainly not what I was trying to say.

common mistake. except you don't use a router on your connection.

easy solution: just don't connect your audio pc to the internet :)
i actually bought a laptop just for internet use, and what can i say, my audio pc has never given me any trouble AT ALL....think about it.
way OT though, sorry :)

it is usable, but not rock solid. In my experience.
keywords: "in my experience". clearly though, even going just by my and jhakwe's responses, your experience is not universal... and therefore not at all a definitive assessment.

that part of my post was not directed to you at all. you have PTHD. clearly that was directed towards those people advising a man who's being asked by his high-end clientele if he has PTHD to stick with what he currently uses when they have really no idea at all what it's like to be in his position.

ps, i've actually been in a conversation with one of the A&R staff at a Major label known for metal and rock, discussing a mix i might be doing... and being asked if i had pro tools hd. he was relieved that i did, but went on to tell me that the engineer/producer that was recording the album already, was using DP. i could hear the concern in his voice as he told me this, he clearly didn't think it was a "pro" situation regarding the DAW, though he liked the engineer. i assured him that i was familiar with DP, and actually still owned a working copy of it... the relief in his voice was palpable even over the phone. for better or for worse, pro tools hd IS the industry standard. that may change at some point, but for those of us working in the here and now, it is a very smart option.... and the cherry on top is that it's great to work with.

i didn't end up getting that mix in the end though.... Andy did. ;)

James, is it very uncommon for people to deal with consolidated audio files in major label releases? Do people simply trade ProTools sessions?

I always thought that most mix engineers would be keen to simply import tracks into their own workflow/session templates.

I think if I were in that circle I'd prefer the actual session itself. Giving me the option to consolidate myself as well as the ability to fix any editing that may need to be done and such. If it's consolidated tracks being sent I would hope they are perfect otherwise...

James, is it very uncommon for people to deal with consolidated audio files in major label releases? Do people simply trade ProTools sessions?

I always thought that most mix engineers would be keen to simply import tracks into their own workflow/session templates.
Pro Tools files by a mile..... with all Markers, tempo/meter/key changes, and MIDI, etc. in place.

easy solution: just don't connect your audio pc to the internet :)
i actually bought a laptop just for internet use, and what can i say, my audio pc has never given me any trouble AT ALL....think about it.
way OT though, sorry :)

Exactly what I did with my new laptop, works just fine! And costs about a third of a mac with the same specs :p

And I would say that most people should think twice before arguing with Mr. Murphy here, since he does have a ton of PRACTICAL knowledge that few here posess about how things work in the 'real' world.

Well, it could be yeah. We have a G5 in our attic studio:

n32098056736_1351524_6609.jpg

n32098056736_1351531_8221.jpg

As you can see, it's fairly well stocked. But the computer isn't as great as it could be; its the only weak link really. Like I said, for audio recording, it is solid. But when I try and use BFD2 inside PT:HD on this machine, I tend to get a lot of RTAS streaming errors; I'll be recording a take, and a message will pop-up.

I also recorded a track the other day in PT M-Powered on my home quad-core machine, and got the same thing; although it wasn't nearly as regular.

Like I said; it is usable, but not rock solid. In my experience.

that is a sweet studio.

maybe i'll just go windows 7 + cubase 5

as much as no one has the right to tell you what to do since it's your studio and your career, i would personally go with the HD rig in a heartbeat given your current situation

like JM said, with the body of work that you've developed so far, and with your career well on the upswing, the rig should pay for itself soon enough, and bring you a whole new level of clientele.

personally, i would look at win 7/cubase 5 as a sidestep from where you are now, and PT HD as forward progress

As much as I love Cubase I know if someday I'm lucky enough to get anywhere it'll have to be with a PTHD rig. It's unavoidable if you want to go anywhere other than local junk. Period. But for now, I'll continue to let my recently (month or more ago) purchased PT8/mbox sit here unused while Cubase gets used :)

And I strongly suggest going for a Mac if you switch to PTHD. I don't want to start a stupid mac vs pc bullshit war but we all know PT runs smoother on OSX.

I don't want to start a stupid mac vs pc bullshit war but we all know PT runs smoother on OSX.

If it runs as smoothly as Cubum on our school's Macs, then no thanks ;) Just had a G5 running Cubase 4 completely crash seven times during six hours of tracking yesterday, and today four times on SX3 while mixing.

Not saying that's a normal scenario, there's something seriously wrong with those two Macs.