estimated cost on starting up with protools hd 1

^they are at a school.... where anyone can monkey with them... and it's usually guys who know nothing about macs, so they screw them up. i always hear of macs at schools having issues, almost never those owned and used by individuals. there are no idiot-proof computers.

The post-production market in the UK seems to use PTHD with Windows, for some reason.

It's still PTHD though!

I would make the upgrade too, if I didn't hate ProTools.
I track in ProTools studios - and then dump all the tracks into Logic. I've heard that a lot of the UK guys are starting to do this, and there are a fair few "logic-only" studios opening (and quickly shutting, due to the "recession" ;)).

The post-production market in the UK seems to use PTHD with Windows, for some reason.

be that as it may, based on my knowledge and research of UK music tracking and mixing rooms, the overwhelming majority are outfitted with Macs running PT HD.

for instance the Miloco studios, such as...

The Engine Room

The Engine Room Protools Specifications
Top of the range protools system based around an HD3 Accel system. Either protools or logic pro software can be used.

Hardware
Apple MacPro 2x2.8 Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
1 Triple Glyph GT103 removable firewire chassis
Choice of removable hotswappable firewire drives 160 gigabytes each
3 x Digidesign 192 interfaces providing 24 inputs & 48 outputs
Digidesign MIDI I/O interface
Digidesign Sync I/O synchroniser

Alpha Centauri

DAW Hardware:
Apple MacPro 2x2.8 Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, NVidea 8800 GT 512MB, 300GB HD, 2x 500GB HD, 1x 1TB HD, AirPort, 30" display
PC Dual Dual Opteron Win XP SP2 running Cubase 4, 32 outputs (Apogee AD16-X), 16 inputs (Apogee DA16-X)
Sonifex RB-UL1 Unbalanced to Balanced Single Converter
Digidesign ProTools HD3 PCIe
Digidesign MIDI I/O
Digidesign Sync HD

and Assault & Battery 2

DAW Hardware:
Apple MacPro 2 x 2.8ghz Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, 300GB HD, 2x 500GB HD, AirPort, 30" Apple display
Digidesign ProTools HD4 PCIe
Digidesign MIDI I/O
Digidesign Sync HD

and the infamous The Chapel Studios

192 Tracks of Pro Tools HD3
4 x 192 interfaces with expansion cards in each
AppleMac G5 2.5GHz dual

the much touted Strongroom

Apple G5 Dual 2 GHz
Pro Tools HD4 Accel

the list goes on and on....

Oh boy, now it's turning into a computer platform war too. This thread looks set to touch base on all the major horse-beaten issues of the industry :lol:

FWIW I find any computer system can be abused into submission. When simply loaded with an OS and bare essential drivers a good 99% of systems will yield fantastic performance. It's when the user intervention starts with loading crap on, tweaking settings they don't know about, not defragging (in the PC's case) etc. that the system starts to become unwieldly.

Tru dat, I know I made a comment to contribute to it but I say move on from the Mac/PC thing. The thread is about PTHD and how much it will cost Joey to get into it.

no, not really... in his thread-opening post he asked:

"also, anyone REALLY know the pros and cons of protools mac vs protools windows?"

so it's fair game really.

My advice is to make a spreadsheet with many different options and weigh them all to see what would be more feasible for your situation.

for the OT (cubase on mac) :
Cubase sx3 IS NOT intel-based. It uses this rosetta shit.
Cubase and mac didnt work out for me!!! And I heard from a lot of pro-dudes that this combi sucks extremly. the same pros also told me that protools is a MAC DAW.
On what school are you? It is popular that Cubase is a MAC "virus".

I would make the upgrade too, if I didn't hate ProTools.
I track in ProTools studios - and then dump all the tracks into Logic. I've heard that a lot of the UK guys are starting to do this, and there are a fair few "logic-only" studios opening (and quickly shutting, due to the "recession" ;)).

I actually made the move first to M powered and then to HD because every studio I was using for drum tracking was Pro Tools based and my Logic system just wasnt cutting it compared. Ive recently starting working with a band using a studio equipped with a d8B and logic. Compared to tracking drums in pro tools Im fight the house system to get anything out of it. Even something as simple as a drop in works better in tools.

My point is I only know one studio in the UK (Im sure there are more) using Logic to track with and I wont be going back there after tomorrow night.

BTW tomorrow Im taking a pro tools rig with my and using their wall, multicore and monitors only.

If I were in your position Joey, I'd jump all over that!

FWIW, we just made the transition from an HD1 system on a G5 with two 96 I/O to a maxed out iMac (3 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 1 TB HDD etc.) running Logic 8.

5f95c0dfdb.jpg

BUT, even with the dated hardware, working on PT:HD was always a charm, especially for editing needs. But it's really down to the advantages in the biz by going HD in the end.

FYI; Pro Tools M-Powered seems to be running a LOT better now that I've gone over to Win7 instead of using a Hackintosh. I'm not getting those drop-out errors anymore.

32bit. I'm not going to bother with 64bit until all my plugins are also 64bit - give it 10 years or so. Something else that used to happen on OSX PT8:Mpowered - when I'd save, it would sometimes crash; it wasn't due to any plugins because it happened with empty projects. Doesn't happen with Win7!

I suppose a Hackintosh is not the most reliable way to test out OSX performance, but it isn't exactly alchemy either.

You don't necessarily need to stick to a 64-bit OS to use your 32-bit plug-ins. Cubase 64 has backward compatibility, and with Reaper you can happily run the 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS. It kind of sucks to have so much RAM going to waste these days.

when I'd save, it would sometimes crash; it wasn't due to any plugins because it happened with empty projects. Doesn't happen with Win7!

I suppose a Hackintosh is not the most reliable way to test out OSX performance, but it isn't exactly alchemy either.
you gotta be f'n kidding me with this shite, lol

sorry guy, your little hackintosh results are hardly the norm for actual Macintosh rigs. about as valid as me judging the performace of literally any DAW at all by it's performace under Paralells (a windows shell for Mac OS that runs WIndows simultaneously with OS X). pfffffft, fekk off with that noize :lol:

talk about grasping at straws... weeeeeaaaaaak :puke:

even when glitches do happen like that with PT, they are quickly addressed and fixed with CS updates... essentially like any other program on any computing platform ever in the history of such things. so, even if your "results" were valid, all it would tell me was that you had the latest patches for Windows, but not for Mac. seriously man, do you think shit like that is just left for people to deal with? some of the stuff you type man... i don't know dude... don't even know what to say. :erk: