estimated cost on starting up with protools hd 1

because if the latter was the case, getting an m-box or the likes in addition to your old rig wouldn't be that bad of a choice, would it?

That's right, and it's exactly what I have had running here for 2 or 3 years. It's the best possible compromise so far.

You have PTLE (with production toolkit) to do session transfers and super fast editing. Then you have the DAW and interface of your choice for the recording, mixing and mastering. This way you aren't locked into Digi's hardware and can actually use proper WDM drivers so you can use your OS properly.

well...
pro tools HD has a 48 bit mixer, and definatly more headroom than cubendo.
also i saw a test here...
http://www.recordproduction.com/mpg-event-june05-video1.html
well worth watching, some people agree some disagree.

TDM is 24 bit fixed because it's based on the DSP chips on the HD cards.
so if your input on a track is too high (not talking about ad conversion),
it will clip the plugin, so you will have to watch the levels.

a 32 bit vst will not clip, because the headroom will be automatically adjusted.

talking about headroom :
Pro Tools is integer-based ->> like their ads say : over 300 db of dynamic headroom...
32-bit Floating Point (Cubase) internal processing gives nearly 1500dB of internal dynamic range !

win xp is a 32 bit application, also modern cpu will work better with 32 bit / 64 bit daws, as they use 64 / 80 / 128 bit architecture.
while 24 to 32 conversion and back means unnecessary calculations... of course this is all just theory..
dont know about mac though... still working on xp... everyone hates me for that , hehe.

but maybe i'm not up to date, dont know about pt 8 and its internal structure...
still pt seems to be the choppy chop master... hopefully steinberg will
release a beat detective clone ;-)

maybe i'll just go windows 7 + cubase 5

I'm tempted. I'm loving W7 on my new rig so far. I've never had a cruisier experience throwing everything and the damn kitchen sink at something.

If Cubase is workflow that works for you and you dig it, why not? Dan Swano did some great CDs on Cubase, and I'm sure there are many other professional users of it that make great releases. You'll save a ton of money.

I don't know man, I would just jump all over Pro Tools HD if I were in your position. You really cannot go wrong, and you will probably fall in love with Pro Tools anyhow and wonder why you haven't already been using it for years.

And the same thing with a Mac. I know it seems stupid, I've always spoken like "I don't need a mac, if you can use it windows is cool, you only need a firewall and an antivirus, etc etc..."
...but a mac is another thing, totally.

And the same thing with a Mac. I know it seems stupid, I've always spoken like "I don't need a mac, if you can use it windows is cool, you only need a firewall and an antivirus, etc etc..."
...but a mac is another thing, totally.

agreed

Maybe I got something wrong BUT:
In my knowledge 48bit totaly owes 32bit floating point!!!!

The math behind it:
M(bit you choose) x 6,02dB + 1,76dB (sine with complete approach)

But the thing is: 32bit floating point means 24bit "moving" dynamic.
You have the dynamic as with 24bit (146,2dB).
When you track to hot, this dynamic goes up (uses 32bit-8bit)

With 48bit you have a fixed dynamic with 290,7dB.

in PT HD there is no need for TDM!!!!!!!!!
You can use all your waves/UAD ...plugins as RTAS (or with the VST wrapper)

I have the feeling a lot of people are picking on PT HD because they cannot afford it, and wont be able to in the next years.
For example I pay more for equipment every year then I get paid by the bands. So PT HD is no option, because I have a working setup with Logic 8.
But I kept in mind that logic is very protools compatible.
PT HD IS THE STUDIO STANDARD!!!!is a very expensive program (maybe too expensive) but its the studio standard.

Joey when I´m going to be in your situation:
-booked out
-well paying bands
-making real money+money I can easily safe every month and get everything paid.

I would do the switch. this might be the next step for you.
And having labels asking for your equipment is a good sign!!!!
Maybe the next projects will bring you some more $$$.

And make shure you GET A MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cubase + windows: good
Logic/protools + Mac : BONER!!!!!

I dunno.... PT:HD is good for recording audio.... but try running any RTAS instruments that use a lot of RAM, inside any version of Pro Tools... you're gonna go screwy trying to get past all those RTAS streaming error messages.

But the audio editing IS fantastic; got to give it that.

I would say PT:HD would be good. But you don't need a mac, I'm not sure why everyone has suddenly decided its essential.

The editing, speed, workflow and name are all great reasons to choose protools even for the money.

Joe

I dunno.... PT:HD is good for recording audio.... but try running any RTAS instruments that use a lot of RAM, inside any version of Pro Tools... you're gonna go screwy trying to get past all those RTAS streaming error messages.
where do you guys get this stuff?? i run loads of RTAS instruments at once in my PTHD rig all the time, with zero troubles... we're talking Battery3 for subdrops and fx, BFD for toms, Superior Drummer for Kicks and Snares, Omnisynth for pads, MachFive, MX4, & Symphonic for piano, synth, and orchestral textures respectively, and more in one particular session that i mixed from about a year or so ago that had no real drums recorded at all... i'd have to crack the session open to even remember the rest. seriously, why in the hell would pro tools run RTAS instruments so ineffectively as you suggest? i've never experienced such crap as you imply.

also check this:

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

interesting to see how PTHD SHITS all over cubase SRC (and most others also).

amazed to see how great Apple core audio's (Leopard!) SRC seems to be.

overall I think Izotope 64bit wins most of the time

What Izotope product is used in this test? I don't know of an Izotope product that is just known as "Izotope 64bit". Even checking out Izotope's site now, I don't see anything like that.

I'm assuming it's something like Ozone, but that (and most of Izotope's other products) are plugins, not actual DAW's.

Also, most of that test and explanations are over my head, and I don't really understand what the graph is showing too well, even after reading the help section. :loco:

to most people who've responded against using PT Hd.
and sayin its 24 bit mixer (48 in HD)
i have this to offer

Last edited by a moderator: