evolving beyond the generic metalhead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0h3n

New Metal Member
Oct 8, 2004
so yeah... i listen to a lot of metal but i've wanted to expand beyong just metal so i was wondering if anyone knew of any good emo bands? i have listened to some thrice and appreciate their metallic sound, they have some more technical riffs but im looking for even calmer stuff than that. still, technicallity is much appreciated, and of course for this genre good lyrics are a must. thx!

You're trying to evolve with that shit? Kind of reminds me of how Demolition Hammer went from playing brutal Thrash to grundge-influence groove in the mid 90's. :rolleyes:

hahahahahahahaha

if you want to "evolve," start listening to classical, if you want to take a step sideways, start listening to prog. if you want to be a fucking idiot, start listening to emo.

wow... what a nice reaction lol sorry but actually i am getting into some classical but im doing that research on my own. and just because i would listen to emo, doesnt mean id become some scene faggot

seriously though, listen to whatever you enjoy, but don't expect anyone here to help you out with emo recommendations. and don't refer to listening to emo as an evolution ;)

bleh. well i guess most metalhead dont listen to anything except metal. but i already knew that.

I don't think that's true at all, it's just that most metal fans have a conception of a musical hierarchy, and emo is definitely at the lower end of the scale.

c0h3n said:
bleh. well i guess most metalhead dont listen to anything except metal. but i already knew that.

Not true. I frequently listen to Baroque-era classical music, Wagner and Mozart's operas, Classic Hard Rock (Zep, ac/dc), Classic Prog (Rush, Alan Parsons Project, YES), Jazz (Miles Davis), Blues (BB King), and one certain country artist (Johnny Cash), etc.

Emo is music without value, just like the stream of shit that poured out of seattle in the early to mid 90's.

ok well in that case... whats some good music to indulge my sadder side instead of my angry side? having lyrics to indentify with is a plus also

erm

yeah I'd have to agree. Emo would be a step backwards. After getting into metal I got into electronic music, dark ambient, neo folk and post rock

Along the lines of Classical I would recommend any of Nicolo Paganini's works, especially the 24 Caprices. I think most metalheads can respect the virtuosity of it. Hell, Nicolo was the first virtuoso after all. He even had the Diabolic-schtik down pretty convincingly, for the time.

Or any of Liszt's piano transcriptions. (Beethoven's Symphs, Wagner, above mentioned Paganini) They're all impressive too. It just makes you wonder how in the hell a person can even play such a thing (not mention transcribe an entire orchestral work completely to the keyboard, with every nuance in place). Its technically very impressive, kind of like some of the favorite bands around here...

Holst's "The Planets" specifically Mars, Bringer of War

anything by Robert W. Smith

Respighi, Mussorgsky, Chopin, Beethoven...

c0h3n said:
ok well in that case... whats some good music to indulge my sadder side instead of my angry side? having lyrics to indentify with is a plus also
You need to stop being angsty and stuff and instead listen to profound fucking music epitomizing the very essence of sadness itself :)) :) :)) like Skepticism and Thergothon and Evoken and Unholy.

Status
Not open for further replies.