Favourie movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miss*Lie said:
Let's talk about cinema.
What are your favourite movies, and why?

I can start just saying that the last movie I saw was The Constant Gardener. It is a great story, with a great image.
It is about medicin tests in humans. And of course, in Africa...
Too shame that it still happens.

These picks are pure opinion, and from someone that places experimentation and story ahead of everything else.

For the pure art of it: The Mirror, by Andrei Tarkovsky is my favorite. An interesting movie of nonlinear flashbacks from childhood, ala or partially inspired by Andrei Bely's book Kotik Leteav. While you watch it, you may become rather confused; but, as everyone should know, many times (not all) the more incomprehensible the piece of art seems, the better it is. By the end, the movie was imprinted on my soul, and I felt I knew Mr. Tarkovsky personally.

For symbolism Ive always thought Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal is perfect.

In the last ten years: Adaptation written by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Spike Jonze is amazingly good, and Nic Cage was brilliant.

Sentimental favorite: Rocky.
Its a piece of pure Americana, still quite inspiring.

I grew up on 80's comedies and action movies however, and these are the movies I tend to have viewed the most.

ok then...
pretty much the 3 monty python movies
most adam sandler movies
great gatsby i thought was alright, but not as good as book

this should be in chat or pop culture anyways, wouldnt be surprised if this got locked

My favourite/top/best/if you dont like it you suck movie ever is :

B000056WOM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Reasons: The sense of the "infinite" that it gives you, the combination of music/pictures, the various symbolisms, the Kubrick's advanced cinematography, and of coure .. Hal's song.

Danallica said:
ok then...
pretty much the 3 monty python movies
most adam sandler movies
great gatsby i thought was alright, but not as good as book

this should be in chat or pop culture anyways, wouldnt be surprised if this got locked

Na, cinema is an art and can be philosophical (Tarkovsky, Goddard, Bergman) Of course if it becomes a whats my favorite Adam Sandler (actually, Happy Gilmore) or horror movie thread, I guess I will close it.

Glad you enjoy this thread. :)

I'm an old fan of the Dead Poet's Society. I'm a poetry writer, and all the emotions that poetry takes that society through, remembers me certain stages of my life. :rolleyes:

Another movie I really, really love is The GodFather(s), all of them. I love the way that Mario Puzzo and Coppola portray the world of mob/mafia. But this one is also because of my deep interest and fascination about the mob...:heh:

Then we have Bram Stocker's Dracula by Coppola as well - no words. I love the book, and I love the movie. The cast is perfect (but I think Keanu Reeves is not the best for that roll), and the enviroment of the movie is completely awsome. o_O

And I must talk here about... :worship: Tim Burton.

I only saw 5 or 6 movies of him, but definitely, the Corpse Bride is my favourite one. Don't ask me why. I just love the story, the animation... and Danny Elfman was great at the soundtrack. :worship: Really good....

speed said:
Na, cinema is an art and can be philosophical (Tarkovsky, Goddard, Bergman) Of course if it becomes a whats my favorite Adam Sandler (actually, Happy Gilmore) or horror movie thread, I guess I will close it.

Ok fair enuf.

The challenge with this thread is to explain why it is we like our favourite films. It's too easy to just say you like this or that, but to make it interesting a deeper explanation is needed and that can be quite hard.

A lot of the time I'm drawn to a film just because I fancy the actor in it, like Leonardo Di Caprio, Keanu Reeves, Ewan McGreggor and Arnie (when he was younger). They mostly do action films. I like a lot of action films, but I can't tell how much of it is the story and how much is the actor.

Faves are: Conan the Barbarian (cos I would rather be a barbarian than civilised!), Predator (the lone hero idea) and The Running Man. This has a political point to it and great tongue-in-cheek sci fi plot. It shows mass manipulation of TV audiences and how the state is making the good guys out to be the bad guys.

Rambo First Blood is good too and shows how Vietnam vets were treated with contempt when they came back home. Action films with state or secret society conspiracies in them appeal. There are quite a few of them.

Also Mad Max appeals to my sense of a coming dark age and how people would have to be barbaric to survive.

Monty Python is fantastic (apart from I don't like some of the smut). They were so innovative. (But does everyone agree that Mel Gibson's remake of the classic "Life of Brian" is not as funny as the original?) Films like Excalibur, seem to owe so much to being preceded by Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I dont know about "favorite", but one that always strikes me as very rewarding is The Death of A Salesman, with Dustin Hoffman. His performance is superb.

Mel Brooks' Movies. Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Dracula: Dead and Lovin' It.
Snatch
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Kevin Smith Movies. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks.
The Boondock Saints
Office Space
Gladiator
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
Crossroads (The Original one with Ralph Macchio)
The Blues Brothers
The Truman Show
Adam Sandler Movies. Mr. Deeds, 50 First Dates, Big Daddy, The Longest Yard, Little Nicky, The Water Boy, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Anger Management, The Wedding Singer.

I love all kinds of movies. :D

Norsemaiden said:
The challenge with this thread is to explain why it is we like our favourite films. It's too easy to just say you like this or that, but to make it interesting a deeper explanation is needed and that can be quite hard.

A lot of the time I'm drawn to a film just because I fancy the actor in it, like Leonardo Di Caprio, Keanu Reeves, Ewan McGreggor and Arnie (when he was younger). They mostly do action films. I like a lot of action films, but I can't tell how much of it is the story and how much is the actor.

Faves are: Conan the Barbarian (cos I would rather be a barbarian than civilised!), Predator (the lone hero idea) and The Running Man. This has a political point to it and great tongue-in-cheek sci fi plot. It shows mass manipulation of TV audiences and how the state is making the good guys out to be the bad guys.

Rambo First Blood is good too and shows how Vietnam vets were treated with contempt when they came back home. Action films with state or secret society conspiracies in them appeal. There are quite a few of them.

Also Mad Max appeals to my sense of a coming dark age and how people would have to be barbaric to survive.

Monty Python is fantastic (apart from I don't like some of the smut). They were so innovative. (But does everyone agree that Mel Gibson's remake of the classic "Life of Brian" is not as funny as the original?) Films like Excalibur, seem to owe so much to being preceded by Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Seriously,you just stated exactly the same movies as I would have.
Especially Conan the Barbarian rules,must have watched that 20-30 times.

Edit: Yeah,also Braveheart.I really love that movie.

It seems almost everyone besides IoftheStorm and the Thread Starter, listed movies of entertainment not philosophical value. This for some reason bothers me. I have no problem with listing such entertaining movies, or watching them, but, surely most of you have viewed some movie that operates purely on a artistic and philosophical level? I

And you know, I forgot 8 1/2 by Fellini and Lawrence of Arabia.

speed said:
It seems almost everyone besides IoftheStorm and the Thread Starter, listed movies of entertainment not philosophical value. This for some reason bothers me. I have no problem with listing such entertaining movies, or watching them, but, surely most of you have viewed some movie that operates purely on a artistic and philosophical level? I

And you know, I forgot 8 1/2 by Fellini and Lawrence of Arabia.

I watch movies I feel like going to see. I'm a very eclectic movie watcher, I feel no need to seek out and watch movies that are of philosophic value. I can like almost anything.

I also get tired of having to think so damn much, so explosions and laughter are good therapy.

Adaptation was is, however, one of my utter favourites :)

Status
Not open for further replies.