Favourite song from "Iconoclast"

What's your favourite song from "Iconoclast"?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • The End of Innocence

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dehumanized

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Bastards of the Machine

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Heretic

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Children of a Faceless God

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • When All is Lost

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Electric Messiah

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Prometheus (I Am Alive)

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Light Up the Night

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Lords of Chaos

• Reign in Madness

• Total voters
The Lord of chaos has a meshuggah-like part from 3:13 to 3:40. It's nice, fits the song, and it sounds really chaotic. I have a feeling that's not a coincidence.

The chorus almost ruins the song, but it flows well because the verse and pre-chorus are REALLY nice.

Now, on children of a faceless god there's no excuse. What a lame chorus. There's a full stop before and after it. I'll probably delete this part one of these days...

So basically you hate good choruses.

If you like them, ok. Most of them I like, End of Innocence has a very traditional chord progression, dehumanized kicks ass, Heretic Is one of the best. What I feel about the ones I don't like is this feeling I get, like the music is being broken right in the middle to make a more catchy traditional sound, sometimes it fits, sometimes it doesn't.

I voted for Iconoclast .. although I think there are several others that are nearly on par with it. The weakest song (Bastards Of The Machine) would have been much easier for me to pick than best song.

I'm a bit surprised to see that The End Of Innocencehasn't received a single vote. I think it's a really good tune .. figured someone would have fell in love with that one pre-release and voted for it.

Britt

When everyone was mentioning how good 'When All is Lost'. I had my hopes up for something SPECTACULAR but it was an average song on the album. HOWEVER, electric MESSIAH is something else.

too easy vote for "When all is lost" ,i choose "Iconoclast" followed by "Reign of madness".ANyway,"when all is lost" sum up all the good things they did in all the years,and I think it will become a must live along with "Paradise lost"

I voted Electric Messiah not because i think its the best song of the album, but because its the only "heavier" song of the album that has no weak parts from start to finish.

I actually think Electric Messiah might be SX's heaviest song. I don't know if anyone else would agree with that.

Wow, I'm the first person to vote for Light Up the Night? That's depressing. Great chorus, very catchy. And it's the only song on this album that harkens back to their old neo-classical days at all. I find myself humming this a lot, and to me, that's the mark of a great song.

Runners up for me would be Iconoclast (naturally) and Heretic. OTOH, I don't see what people think is so great about When All is Lost. Yes, the album badly needs some more low key pieces, but I actually found this a bit disappointing. Especially as an album ender.

Wow, I'm the first person to vote for Light Up the Night? That's depressing. Great chorus, very catchy. And it's the only song on this album that harkens back to their old neo-classical days at all. I find myself humming this a lot, and to me, that's the mark of a great song.

+1. Although I voted for Iconoclast because I think it sounds where I expect the band to go from now on, mixing something old with something new. Light up the night is one of the few flawless songs on the album.

OTOH, I don't see what people think is so great about When All is Lost. Yes, the album badly needs some more low key pieces, but I actually found this a bit disappointing. Especially as an album ender.

I also expeted more on WAIL. and Reign in Madness is a killer album ender AND better song, it should replace WAIL in the one disc version, it would appeal even more to the "metal" audience I guess.

While it does contain some of the only neoclassical bits on the album, I'm just not impressed with this song. To me it sounds like it was written in five minutes, as if MJR and crew just decided "hey, we need at least one neoclassical song somewhere on the album." It just sounds uninspired and lazy to me, just the way the verse starts right after the opening riff, like they couldn't be bothered to write a proper lead-based into (see Out of the Ashes, The Damnation Game, Seven). It sounds thrown together.

I would say that it is tied with The Lords of Chaos as being the weakest tune on the album.

Had a realy hard time choosing one I like... And I pretty much love all the last ( PL ) album, oh the irony... If I really have to pick one it would be Electric Messiah, second Heretic, third Reign in Madness. Most of which don't sound much like their old ones... Who knows, maybe the others will grow on me as I listen to them in the car on the road.

I am a fan of every symphony x song to date, and this album changes nothing. In fact, I found I LOVED a greater percentage of these songs than on almost any previous album. It is impossible for me to pick a best, as they are all about equal to me, but the worst two if i HAD to pick them, would be light up the night (worst) and heretic (second worst).

light up the night is the bands first attempt at pure power metal, a genre i hate to begin with. however, the neoclassical interlude is awesome. the verse riffs and vocal melodies are not great, but the chorus is ok. the second half of the song is amazing. while i rip on this song, it is nowhere near bad enough for me to skip or to actually complain about. ok ok i must say "my dying eyes scream with pain" is not great. least fav lyric actually.

heretic the only thing i do not like is the verse vocal melodies and the "watch me burn, live and learn" lyric.

as for most vocal melodies and lyrics, i love them, and a clever listener will pick up references and even a story in there. for everyone complaining about the lyrics, all the bands you listed have worse lyrics than SX by far. give me music better than SX and then maybe i will let you complain. peter gabriel? turisas? come on...

and for those who think the riffs are recycled...you clearly do not know what a reference is. There are tons of very clever riff-references in this album, almost none of which seem like recycled riffs to me. You think they sat with this for 4 years and did not consider the fact that they were recycling? Don't be naive.

this is AT LEAST their second best album. the odyssey may take it by a nudge, but I would not say that with any confidence.

but the worst two if i HAD to pick them, would be light up the night (worst) and heretic (second worst)

Same for me.

I find it strange that somebody would vote for Light Up the Night as the best on the album. It's not "bad", just not the best imo.