Favourite song from "Iconoclast"

What's your favourite song from "Iconoclast"?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • The End of Innocence

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dehumanized

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Bastards of the Machine

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Heretic

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Children of a Faceless God

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • When All is Lost

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Electric Messiah

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Prometheus (I Am Alive)

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Light Up the Night

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Lords of Chaos

• Reign in Madness

• Total voters
I don't get all the love for Electric and still nobody seems to care for Children very much? I think its one of the stronger songs on the album by far. Obviously I'm nuts.

To be honest, Children just sounds like filler to me. The main riff is cool, but the song just seems to borrow so much from Serpent's Kiss that it doesn't really have an identity of its own. It sounds like it should be on Russell's solo album, not on a Symphony X record. Something about it just doesn't feel like a Symphony X song (other than the bass/guitar polyrhythm during the verse). I can't explain it beyond that.

While I don't understand all the love for Electric Messiah, I definitely think it is a better song. That fade out ending sucks, though - the song is just too energetic to end like that.

Cheesy choruses?! You guys can't be S X fans surely... The choruses in every single song just blow me away every time but maybe that's just me. I voted Children of a Faceless God. Cheesy? Seriously?! :\

The main riff is cool, but the song just seems to borrow so much from Serpent's Kiss that it doesn't really have an identity of its own.

To be honest I really don't get the Children / Serpent's Kiss comparison at all. The riff is a little similar but to me it was always Walls Of Babylon I thought it sounded like. The chorus isn't, and the entire song really as heavy, fast paced or riff oriented as Serpent's Kiss, and it has a . Only thing I can think of is that the vocals in the bridge are in a similar in style to some of the ones in Serpent's Kiss, but overall I really wouldn't hear that song and think it was just like Serpent's Kiss.

Edit: And yeah I don't mind that much if a song's chorus isn't the best. It's awesome if it is and some of the Symphony X choruses have been the best parts but a lot of songs in prog metal are much more about everything but the chorus. To some people Batards Of The Machine is just "THE BASTARDS! OF THE MACHINE!LOL" but to me it's just a great song that has a few lackluster seconds at that point. Honestly the first two choruses last about ten seconds each and don't really feel like the main part of the song. The last one lasts a little bit longer but it's interspersed with some better vocals and a little bit of guitar work so it's not too bad.

To be honest I really don't get the Children / Serpent's Kiss comparison at all. The riff is a little similar but to me it was always Walls Of Babylon I thought it sounded like. The chorus isn't, and the entire song really as heavy, fast paced or riff oriented as Serpent's Kiss, and it has a . Only thing I can think of is that the vocals in the bridge are in a similar in style to some of the ones in Serpent's Kiss, but overall I really wouldn't hear that song and think it was just like Serpent's Kiss.

It's just the overall vibe of the song that reminds me of Serpent's Kiss. The main riff's groove sounds very similar to the main riff in Serpent's Kiss to me, although I do like it. I definitely don't hear any Babylon in there (that song was a lot faster). But that bridge (between the solos I believe) just sounds so much like Serpent's Kiss to me, kind of in the way that the part at 3:50 in Electric Messiah sounds almost identical to Domination's dissonant interlude. Now that's not to say that I don't like the bridge in Children; I just don't find it to be very creative. But I guess that's what happens when only MJR writes the music...

Edit: And yeah I don't mind that much if a song's chorus isn't the best. It's awesome if it is and some of the Symphony X choruses have been the best parts but a lot of songs in prog metal are much more about everything but the chorus. To some people Batards Of The Machine is just "THE BASTARDS! OF THE MACHINE!LOL" but to me it's just a great song that has a few lackluster seconds at that point. Honestly the first two choruses last about ten seconds each and don't really feel like the main part of the song. The last one lasts a little bit longer but it's interspersed with some better vocals and a little bit of guitar work so it's not too bad.

Bastards is a good song overall, but the part with the "bastards" chant just seems like such an obvious attempt to grab the attention of kids who think it's badass to shout out curse words. It's just overly pathetic to me, that's all. These guys are in their forties! But aside from that, I like the song, especially the verses and the interludes.

If anything Children Of A Faceless God is the one where the riff is a bit faster (which is probably why it sounds like Serpent's Kiss). I'm talking about the riff in Children at about 0:17 and the one in Walls Of Babylon at about 3:16. They're not exactly the same or anything but you can't tell me I'm the only one to hear a slight similarity :(

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the Serpent's Kiss thing, the parts are all there (the bridge bit is similar in style although honestly I never made the connection) so I can kind of see how you'd think that but they just have completely different vibes to me, Serpent's Kiss is fast, energetic, heavy, Children Of A Faceless God is slower in general (apart from the riff) and has an almost exotic feel to it, to me at least.

the part with the "bastards" chant just seems like such an obvious attempt to grab the attention of kids who think it's badass to shout out curse words. It's just overly pathetic to me, that's all. These guys are in their forties!

Is no one willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that they actually just wanted to do that and weren't trying to appeal to pathetic teenagers? I mean the song wasn't even the single, and the part is stuck away at the very end of the song. I don't want to get into a debate over the song since you and me pretty much agree, I think the song is awesome apart from the chorus which is lackluster, but I'm surprised everyone just completely dismisses that song because they're chanting a "bad word".

If anything Children Of A Faceless God is the one where the riff is a bit faster (which is probably why it sounds like Serpent's Kiss). I'm talking about the riff in Children at about 0:17 and the one in Walls Of Babylon at about 3:16. They're not exactly the same or anything but you can't tell me I'm the only one to hear a slight similarity :(

Nah, I hear what you're saying. Same key and tonality, but to me the attitude is completely different. Maybe it's in the drums; not sure.

I think the song is awesome apart from the chorus which is lackluster, but I'm surprised everyone just completely dismisses that song because they're chanting a "bad word".

I don't dismiss the song for that reason, but it just sticks out to me, like an annoying thorn in my side as I listen to that part. It's specifically the chanting that gets to me; Russ singing the word doesn't bother me at all. I can picture the audience shouting it out at a concert, which just bugs me for the fact that it's so... immature. I just can't explain it beyond that.

The chorus is indeed lackluster, but the verses are so good that it makes up for it.

The best song depends on my mood. I voted for Iconoclast, but I wish I could have voted again later. I'm really starting to like Children of a Faceless God, and I think it would get fa more votes for top 5 than this poll would suggest. Here is my top 5 right now:

Iconoclast
When All is Lost
Children of a Faceless God
Reign in Madness
Electric Messiah

Interesting, two songs that they played live are at the bottom of the table, along with Light Up The Night. I'd really like to hear what the band members think of poll results :)

I can't fucking understand it. Everyone except myself loves Electric Messiah! W.T.F. It's on everyone's top 5 list but I only hear filler each and every fucking time I turn it on? Musical tastes vary so much its amazing!

Interesting, two songs that they played live are at the bottom of the table, along with Light Up The Night. I'd really like to hear what the band members think of poll results :)

It makes sense, they are the most accessible and hence the least interesting songs. And stuff that caters to the least common denominator isn't as fun as more interesting things. [kind of like pure sugar (pop music), everyone likes sweet stuff but the people with more refined tastes find it close to disgusting and instead like things that have taste and structure (insert cool music here)]

Big number of us have already heard the album,so let's vote :)

I voted for Iconoclast. It would be great if they played that song on tour...
Same for me. I think Iconoclast is the best tune as it seems to represent both the older and new styles. Well, minus the chorus. But still a bad ass tune.

Why no Prometheus love? Allen does some kickass vocal rhythms on that one.

I'm sure a boatload of longtime Symphony X fans aren't thrilled with Russell's "kickass vocal rhythms" in the first verse. That said, if you remove that part, I find it to be one of the better songs on the album. It's not crazy fast like most of the other songs, and has a cool groove. The tone actually reminds me a bit of Egypt at times.

And I've stated many times that I love this song's lyrics.

When All is Lost----I really like the whole album---Personally I would like to see more "normal" vocals rather than the growl that typically accompanies his voice. And more harmony---these guys harmonize SO well it gives me chills. I would never expect Sym X to be a "light" band that does ballads, but I really like the softer side of their music.

Honestly, I can't pick a favorite song. The whole album is just totally epic. When I listen to it, I listen to the whole thing all the way through from start to finish. The louder, the better it sounds!