Favourite song from "Iconoclast"

What's your favourite song from "Iconoclast"?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • The End of Innocence

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dehumanized

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Bastards of the Machine

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Heretic

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Children of a Faceless God

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • When All is Lost

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Electric Messiah

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Prometheus (I Am Alive)

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Light Up the Night

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Lords of Chaos

• Reign in Madness

• Total voters
I think it´s to soon to me for voting :( ... I really can´t choose between "Iconoclast" and "When all is Lost", and I´m preety sure that between those two songs will be my favorite... Although maybe is because that for the rest of the disc I really have not a solid opinion yet... When I´m ready I´ll surely vote!

I don´t know why but seems that I´m in the minority that can´t stand "Lord of Chaos"... I really don´t hear anything special on that song yet.

Oh how things have changed... I voted Prometheus. I have realized that I don´t like the verses of Iconoclast or the ending solo of WAiL. Those songs were so close to perfection (IMO) and maybe because of that I feel a little disappointed.

Prometheus isn´t perfect as well, but I have found myself playing this song a lot and truly enjoying it. It´s for me the solidest song of the album. Heretic was so close too...

Oh some things haven´t changed... I even dislike more LoC now.

WAIL solo is frickin awesome. Its like BAM BITCH! and makes me smile.

The more i listen to this song the more i start to think that its in the same league as The Edge of Forever.

Does anyone hear extremely strong Accolade 1 and 2 resemblances in When All is Lost or is it just me? I think it could have been Accolade III each time I listen to it... great song though regardless of my comparison.

Honestly, I can't pick a favorite song. The whole album is just totally epic. When I listen to it, I listen to the whole thing all the way through from start to finish. The louder, the better it sounds!
That's about where I am right now ... I think there are a lot of standout tunes. My favorite tune seems to be changing from day to day. Yesterday it was Electric Messiah, the day before it was Heretic.

Iconoclast, Reign In Madness, Heretic, Electric Messiah, and When All Is Lost have all been battling it out for best track.

Britt

just received my copy today, listened through one time, love the sound. I haven't picked a favorite yet, but there are some really good songs on here. Iconclast has a wicked feel to it, love the dark feel. I will give it a few more listens, and will see what grabs me.

Alright, I went and bought the CD after listening to the Mp3's for about a week. A lot of songs grew on me... BUT...

I really don't get all the love for "Iconoclast". I mean, the first 2 minutes should've been called "Prelude" or something and kept in a separate track. I ALWAYS skip that part in the car. And sometimes the "we are strong, we will stand and fight" part just makes me cringe, grind my teeths and get horrible Dragonforce'ish flashbacks, so much that I sometimes just skip it entirely right at that part. The rest would be INCREDIBLE, but those 2 things just kill the whole song for me, kinda sad. Cause the part that starts at 7:15 really rocks! All in all, skipable.

"Prometheus" is also skipable, it's too bad cause the lyrics are pretty good.

"When all is lost" could've been a keeper, alas, for such a "short" song, the slow intro is FAR TOO LONG. Don't get me wrong, I love DWOT'S and Odyssey's intros, but this one, nope. I find myself skipping it frequently.

All the other songs are worth listening to while headbanging and shouting to Allen's vocals.

In order:

1- The End of Innocence ( bbye Electric Messiah )
2- Reign in Madness ( incredibly atmospheric keyboard in the chorus, IN LOVE with the whole chorus and chorus aftermath )
3- Heretic
4- Dehumanized ( really, REALLY love the lyrics on this one, so true )
5- Bastards of the Machine ( same as above )
6- Electric Messiah ( Look for the Chi/electricity analogy/reference in there )
7- Children of a Faceless God ( love the lyrics )
8- Light up the Night ( not at all dragonforce'ish, I like it )
9- The Lords of Chaos
10- Prometheus
11- When all is lost
12- Iconoclast

Lifetime favorite SymX song : Still Odyssey.
Lifetime favorite SymX album : Still V - The New Mythology.

Album ranking:

1- V
2- Odyssey
3- DWOT
4- Twilight in Olympus / Iconoclast ( tie )
6- PL
7- Damnation game ( this album BEGS for a remastering )
8- Symphony X ( This one too )

Yeah I know... my choices are paradoxical, there must be some kind of universal truth in there. Comet Nostre! My truth...

Skip the beginning of iconoclast? Thats one of the few parts of the album that reminds us all of how fucking great this band is and what sets them apart from all the other bands in the world. This section is the reason I still love the band and will calmly await the return of classical and vocal elements put back in their music. This section tells us they havent lost what made V or Divine so perfect. Its wonderful.

Alright, I went and bought the CD after listening to the Mp3's for about a week. A lot of songs grew on me... BUT...

I really don't get all the love for "Iconoclast". I mean, the first 2 minutes should've been called "Prelude" or something and kept in a separate track. I ALWAYS skip that part in the car. And sometimes the "we are strong, we will stand and fight" part just makes me cringe, grind my teeths and get horrible Dragonforce'ish flashbacks, so much that I sometimes just skip it entirely right at that part. The rest would be INCREDIBLE, but those 2 things just kill the whole song for me, kinda sad. Cause the part that starts at 7:15 really rocks! All in all, skipable.

"Prometheus" is also skipable, it's too bad cause the lyrics are pretty good.

"When all is lost" could've been a keeper, alas, for such a "short" song, the slow intro is FAR TOO LONG. Don't get me wrong, I love DWOT'S and Odyssey's intros, but this one, nope. I find myself skipping it frequently.

All the other songs are worth listening to while headbanging and shouting to Allen's vocals.

In order:

1- The End of Innocence ( bbye Electric Messiah )
2- Reign in Madness ( incredibly atmospheric keyboard in the chorus, IN LOVE with the whole chorus and chorus aftermath )
3- Heretic
4- Dehumanized ( really, REALLY love the lyrics on this one, so true )
5- Bastards of the Machine ( same as above )
6- Electric Messiah ( Look for the Chi/electricity analogy/reference in there )
7- Children of a Faceless God ( love the lyrics )
8- Light up the Night ( not at all dragonforce'ish, I like it )
9- The Lords of Chaos
10- Prometheus
11- When all is lost
12- Iconoclast

Lifetime favorite SymX song : Still Odyssey.
Lifetime favorite SymX album : Still V - The New Mythology.

Album ranking:

1- V
2- Odyssey
3- DWOT
4- Twilight in Olympus / Iconoclast ( tie )
6- PL
7- Damnation game ( this album BEGS for a remastering )
8- Symphony X ( This one too )

Yeah I know... my choices are paradoxical, there must be some kind of universal truth in there. Comet Nostre! My truth...

Sorry... but I smell crack ;)...

I'm sure a boatload of longtime Symphony X fans aren't thrilled with Russell's "kickass vocal rhythms" in the first verse. That said, if you remove that part, I find it to be one of the better songs on the album. It's not crazy fast like most of the other songs, and has a cool groove. The tone actually reminds me a bit of Egypt at times.

I agree totally with respect to the initial lines of the song; the vox changes very appropriately later in the song. I will have to listen to Egypt again and figure out what you mean. Is it a vocal melody that reminds you of Egypt or something else in relation to tone. ?

I will have to listen to Egypt again and figure out what you mean. Is it a vocal melody that reminds you of Egypt or something else in relation to tone. ?

It's the tonality mostly, especially in the parts with the acoustic guitar (or maybe it's the keys, I can't really tell). The very beginning of the song is an example. It then launches into a bass groove that also reminds me of Egypt.

Skip the beginning of iconoclast? Thats one of the few parts of the album that reminds us all of how fucking great this band is and what sets them apart from all the other bands in the world. This section is the reason I still love the band and will calmly await the return of classical and vocal elements put back in their music. This section tells us they havent lost what made V or Divine so perfect. Its wonderful.

Should've read everything... V's my fav album. What I really said is that the beginning of the song doesn't seem to belong in this track/album. A few other parts like this also don't fit the overall mood of the album. It's like they were "slapped in there at the last moment" just so that people loving that wouldn't whine that SymX lost their sound or went into mainstream prostitution or something. Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely LOVE a whole album going back to those roots, but these parts didn't seem to fit at all in there. What they sold us, and with success, is a new type of sound.

All in all, this album does sound a lot more mainstream. The old SymX incredible "full orchestration" parts don't fit in there and just feel like they were put in there at the last minute.

Ryan M. said:
Sorry... but I smell crack ...

Should've smelled mary, I just quit 2 weeks ago in fact ;).

Should've read everything... V's my fav album. What I really said is that the beginning of the song doesn't seem to belong in this track/album. A few other parts like this also don't fit the overall mood of the album. It's like they were "slapped in there at the last moment" just so that people loving that wouldn't whine that SymX lost their sound or went into mainstream prostitution or something. Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely LOVE a whole album going back to those roots, but these parts didn't seem to fit at all in there. What they sold us, and with success, is a new type of sound.

All in all, this album does sound a lot more mainstream. The old SymX incredible "full orchestration" parts don't fit in there and just feel like they were put in there at the last minute.

Should've smelled mary, I just quit 2 weeks ago in fact ;).

I see your points in some way, the album has a more mainstream quality I suppose and I do miss their classical elements. I do think Iconoclast is the best song on the album.

I see I'm still the only person who voted for Light up the Night. I've listened to this album quite a few times now, and it's still my favorite. I guess I'm just more of a fan of the powermetal/neoclassical style of that song than most around here.

Aren't you tired of hearing Russell singing excessively rough with a trashy rhytm and a badass riff all the time? Well, I like that, but it becomes repetitive and boring when it's present in so many songs...
It seems many of you feel the same as me, as the two most rated songs, Iconoclast and When All Is Lost don't have that...
In the other hand, I want the neo-classical progressive Symphony X back!!!!!!! I'm tired of listening to in-your-face songs again and again and again!!!!!!!