Female musicians.....

Super Mahrio

Deeply Horrible Person
Apr 30, 2003
Muspelheim
Visit site
Inspired a bit by Linas thread...

Female musicians vs Male musicians...
Ive noticed that some female musicians arent as good as male musicians...my question is why?
Ive always wondered this...one time along time ago some dude said id never be a decent guitarist because im a "woman player"...whatever....(in all reality i was better than him..he just had an ego problem) but its not that false considering some female bands vs male bands....Ive seen maybe one decent female musician in metal and that was Christina Scabbia....
What do you guys think?

Well, and that's just by luck, not hard work, that she's got a good voice.

There are tons of high-level female musicians in classical. Girls just aren't encouraged to pick up a guitar or drumsticks at an early age. I can't think of any reason physically or mentally why they'd make inferior musicians.

but one cant deny the fact that a band like Otep is very inferior....Im not really talking about people like Bjork or Tori Amos....but then again there are some kinds of music only women can play like that very emotional slow lillith faire crap....

I still dont understand why very few women can play like Peter Lindgren...(ie: Nancy Wilson) O___o

because they bleed once a month... it drains their ability... to reason... and stuff...

actually I dunno, I think the only thing a chick really needs to play with to impress me... is my balls... but that's just me.

Sorry, I'm in a weird mood tonight, I'm being silly. :)

My playlist is seriously dominated by male musicians...from my listening habits I've noticed that SHIT ALL of them are women. I don't even see Christina Scabbia as being particularly talented (except the whole novelty value of having a women growler) cos she is pretty generic sounding.

I do not think that women, if they put their minds to it, are in anyway 'lesser' then men at making music...thats stupid. No, the problem as I see it is that women seem to dominate more in popular forms of music, like pop. The undergrond is pretty devoid of talented woman...odd that. The main women musicians that I find amazing are the singer from prog group White Willow, Maria from Maudlin of the Well, the guest starring lady for Dark Tranquillity...hmmm. I think that if women branched out more instead of trying to be the next ho-bag pop sensation things might improve.

The first step if for you to become a metal goddess guitarist, Maharet. ;)

I can only think of Sinister,Bolt Thrower,The Gathering and Within Temptation as bands with female members that I enjoy.
And according to your question,Bolt Thrower is the only band that has a non singer female on their lineup
tho you gotta give it to the girl from Sinister,she can fucking growl

Maharet said:
but one cant deny the fact that a band like Otep is very inferior....
And so is Linkin Park... :confused:

Maharet said:
I still dont understand why very few women can play like Peter Lindgren...(ie: Nancy Wilson) O___o
Well, I just gave my theory -- if only a few people who pick up an instrument will master it, and very few women pick up a guitar, very very very few guitar masters will be women.

manuelgv said:
I can only think of Sinister,Bolt Thrower,The Gathering and Within Temptation as bands with female members that I enjoy.
And according to your question,Bolt Thrower is the only band that has a non singer female on their lineup
tho you gotta give it to the girl from Sinister,she can fucking growl

Don't forget about Virgin Black. Samantha Scarbe is one of the main composers there.

But their new album is boring, anyway.

There some things men do better than women, and some things women can do better than men for some reason.
Probably it's genetics. However, I feel women are better singers than men.

The undergrond is pretty devoid of talented woman...odd that.
Yeah that is odd....Sure women can sing (like Carla Torgerson, Kim Warnick, Carrie Akre etc.) but when it comes to playing guitar, all we got in the modern age really is Jewel and i find her to be insulting...

The first step if for you to become a metal goddess guitarist, Maharet.
Someday...bwahahaha....Ill i need is a band....

Maharet said:
Yeah that is odd....Sure women can sing (like Carla Torgerson, Kim Warnick, Carrie Akre etc.) but when it comes to playing guitar, all we got in the modern age really is Jewel and i find her to be insulting...

Her new 'subvertive' music video fails miserably due to how goddamn SELLOUT it makes her look. I don't care that she thinks she was trying to make a point...shes turned pop completely. Albeit, she was previously cheesy emo.

The ho. :cool:

I have never heard Virgin Black

Arch: With clean voice I agree with your statement,but when it comes to growling and screaming I think men own women on that department.

I think it's got more to do with society than anything else. Look at the media (and don't think for a second that it doesn't influence peopele's actions and desires). Probably 90%(or higher) of the female musicians you see are vocalists. And I can name you quite a few extremely talented female vocalists. Other than that, the only females in music I see are pianists. It's odd, I've seen ladies playing piano like gods from another world...So why no great guitarists, bassists, drummers, etc...? I personally blame it on ethe media. If you grow up seeing nothing but female singers on TV, as a kid, you'll probably aspire to be a singer before any other musical instrument.

BTW-I was quite happy to see a female bassist playing for a local Toronto band about a week ago. Visions of the Night is the band in case anyone is interested.

On an intersting side note: It seems like bands outside of the mainstream (ie: prog, metal, classical) are more likely to have females playing other instruments. This just serves to back up my point about the mainstream, but still the ratio is far from even. And our society is pretty much the same way, women are held back. It's not right, I hope to see society and music take a change for equality in the near future.

Till Fjalls said:
BTW-I was quite happy to see a female bassist playing for a local Toronto band about a week ago. Visions of the Night is the band in case anyone is interested.
I saw them open for CoF 2 years ago. They were actually pretty cool. If I remember correctly, they also had a violonist, but I am not sure if they were female or male.

Girl bands always try to be like "We're all girls, LOOK LOOK!!!"
Kittie comes to mind. If they were a bunch a boys, nobody would give a fuck about them.

Yeah, I love Christina Scabbia's voice. Heavenly...

Most musicians I like are male I guess cause heavy metal is mostly done by them instead of the ladies. You can argue aggression is more of a male thing so...