Finland

Jul 19, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I've always wondered... whats it like in Finland? (Aside from being cold as shit). I'm currently living in the US, but it's pretty shitty over here and only getting worse... The general ignorance of the people, our president, the lack of a good metal scene, stupid pointless laws... all this really gets to me, so I'm thinking when I finish school over here I'll want to move to somewhere in Europe, or maybe just Canada. I lived in Germany for a year, but other than that I havent really been around Europe, so I was wondering what its like... if Finland is a nice place to live. The metal scene seems pretty awesome.

If any of you live in some other scandanavian country that you think is "better" than finland... tell me about it... the reason I'm interested in Finland is that I've heard reports of Norway and Sweden not being all that great.

We have super high progressive taxing; working does not pay off. The weather is cold only on the winters, it's like +30C now and I'm sweating like a pig. We have a nice metal scene but the language is probably a bitch to a foreigner. Finland is a peaceful and beautiful country, I like it here.

Yeah I imagine the language would be some trouble, but I've got time to learn it, if I do move anywhere it wouldn't be in the next couple of years. What are people like in general ? I know thats kinda hard to describe, but... I'm wondering about the general mindset. For example, you would say Americans are somewhat selfish and ignorant, or that Germans are a little nosy... of course stereotypes like these arent ever acurate in representing everyone in the country, no offense to any Germans or Americans... but in many countries the way people act is different, you know what I mean? In Japan theres alot of emphasis on respect I'd assume, wheras in the US alot is based on money and image, what type of MTV clique you fit into. Is there a Finish equivilant of MTV?

RideForVengance said:
The metal scene seems pretty awesome.

Well I honestly think Finland has the best metal scene in Europe. Bruce Dickinson said that he thinks that ''Helsinki is the metal capital of ... '' was it scandinavia or europe ? Anyway it's pretty good. I mean a lot of good metal bands come from Finland.

RideForVengance said:
If any of you live in some other scandanavian country that you think is "better" than finland... tell me about it... the reason I'm interested in Finland is that I've heard reports of Norway and Sweden not being all that great.

Well all I've heard about Norway is that it can be quite expensive to live there, because it is a rich oil country. (And they eat a lot of cod . :D )

And Sweden, well, most finns think that Sweden is a gay country.
Dunno why .... (And I'd rather not comment that issue.) I don't really know about Sweden's taxes or anything about stuff like that. But I have say to that some people in Finland talk swedish too. (And some talk ONLY swedish).
And we have to learn swedish in school. For a finn , swedish sounds very stupid. (As well as finnish sounds stupid for a swede.) And what about swedish words then ? å=river, ö=island. But for an american swedish would be a lot easier than finnish.

Anyways, as said before, Finland has a very beautiful nature. The winter is rather long and cold, but you'll get used to it. The summer can be hot, not always though, I mean it rained the last summer. (Somehow I like autumn best. Cannot really explain why.) I have noticed that during winters I miss summer and during this hot July I really miss winter.

Thanks for all your input, the more I hear the more convinced I am that I need to move to Finland... I'm pretty quiet myself, and I like nature alot... about how cold does it get? Cause where I live, the temperature ranges from about -18 to 38 celcius... cold doesnt bother me too much, since you can always put on more clothing, whereas in the heat theres not much you can do. Plus its so fucking humid around here you feel like your walking through a wave of sweat... my town was built right in the middle of a swamp.

I guess the only thing I'm really wondering about now is government.

Thanks for all your help, people of Finland!

RideForVengance said:
about how cold does it get?

Well the records are something like -52 celsius, but that's in Lapland, way north. Usually wintertime is like from -10 to -25, and every now and then you get the few days of -30 :p

RideForVengance said:
cold doesnt bother me too much, since you can always put on more clothing

Exactly. Clothes rule :p

-30 is pretty damn cold. I think I could handle -25, though, considering that where I live we often have windchill of 15 degrees farenheit or so in the winter. Of course, in the summer, when its really hot and you want a cool breeze, its never there :Smug:

Yeah, it's been one hell of a hot summer.. It hasn't rained too much. And I really miss those thunderstorms we usually have at summer.
Anyway, back to te topic.
Winters can be really cold, i've got to admit that, but you get used to it rather easily. Someone would think that coldness isn't a good thing, but i kinda like it.. And yes, we got some fucking great bands!
...and finnish people ain't that quiet.. at least not at midsummer, juhannus. Everyone's wasted and just talking to unknown people.

nikon87 said:
Well all I've heard about Norway is that it can be quite expensive to live there, because it is a rich oil country. (And they eat a lot of cod . :D )

YEAH! SCOTTISH COD! THOSE BASTARDS! :lol:

Decadetroll said:
...and finnish people ain't that quiet.. at least not at midsummer, juhannus. Everyone's wasted and just talking to unknown people.

Forgot to mention that finns are normally pretty quiet, but when we are wasted, we are loud as hell and we talk much. (You have to understand the drunk-talk.)
:D

i always heard that finns can be quiet and apreciate silence too, but booze is booze anywhere!
anyway, i made a finn friend last week and she was really quiet and shy too actually

Well, coming from someone who actually used to live in the US...

Yes, the langauge is hard. I can fumble around in it, I can hold basic conversations, I can do my DJ bit, and this is after a year. And the scary part is my friends tell me I am learning fast...and it's still a pain. It's a cool language but it uses a totally different grammar system, as you can see in the Finnish thread.

Weather....yeah, i'm sweating, it's hot, it's been around 30 lately. The winters are dark...but not unbearably cold, unless it's the aformentioned Lapland. I think Reykjavik is actually more north than a lot of Finland. Yeah, it gets cold, but they do have heating and coats here :p

No, ice bears and penguins do not live here. :D

Finns can be quiet and shy....for the most part. Until booze flows. Then it's hard to shut them up :p ;) I'm like that too, so I get along quite nicely here.

Yes, IMO, it has one of the best metal scenes. Very diverse, from brutal death metal to black metal to melodic metal to power...it's all here.

Your first winter here will be hell. Mark my words. It's not the cold, it's the dark. I work at night, sleep in day, so i didn't see the sun(it was only up a few hours) for about 1.5 months.

An important phrase you should learn: 'Missä vittu minun housut on??' (i think i remember it right, prolly a grammar mistake in there. Trust me, after a sauna party this will come in handy :D)

Fenrir13, it's "missä vitussa minun housut on?".
And yeah, this language is a bitch to learn, since there are so many slangs and stuff. It's like most of lapland do not understand what people from helsinki are speaking, if they use slangwords, i just can imagine how hard it would be to foreigner.

thanks! I knew i forgot SOMETHING, i just didn't know what. :D Sometimes you don't add anything, sometimes you add the ssa, or the lle, or something or other. Of course the rules keep changing it seems, I wish i had a sort of photographic memory. :p

Yeah, the slangs are killing me. I have several friends from the north and the south, and when i hear them talk i'm like 'i recognize these words, but they are different'. My brain is starting to hurt :p

DeathPact said:
Will the finish people bother to be polite and speak english to ya or just turn away and mind their own shit.

I view it the opposite way... I prefer to be polite and try and speak atleast a few words of their language... I dunno... i felt ignorant as fuck when i went to sweden and was tlaking english to everyone.. that's why the day i went home i started learning basic swedish so when i go back at the end of the moment i won't feel like "an ignorant tourist"...

DeathPact said:
Will the finish people bother to be polite and speak english to ya or just turn away and mind their own shit.

That depends. If you're talking to a person that speaks good english, they'll gladly speak it with you, but if a person doesn't know english at all, you get the "E-T-K-Ö S-I-N-Ä Y-M-M-Ä-R-R-Ä ?" (which means "don't you understand?") :p