Finland

SILENT(_)SCREAM said:
lol good hahaha living their must be like a scene out of lord of the rings :lol:

New Zealand would be even more so I immagine. I don't know about the people there, but I do know that they filmed the entire movie there. Sounds like a really beautifull country to me.

[offtopic]

What is this I see? You say there are no elves and dwarfs?

NOOOO!!! You're lying! They DO exist!

(it should be dwarves btw, but since A.R.R.R. Roberts wrote in "The Soddit", that they themselves prefer "dwarfs", i'll use that :p )

[/offtopic]

RideForVengance said:
New Zealand would be even more so I immagine. I don't know about the people there, but I do know that they filmed the entire movie there. Sounds like a really beautifull country to me.

Who doesn't know that LOTR was filmed in New Zealand? :D

RideForVengance said:
Well Torgoth, that doesnt sound to good, but I dont really fit in too well over here either, being the pretty much the only person in my town of 10,000 that is serriously into metal or has long hair. I guess the main question is: If I move to finland, will people reject my efforts to fit in, or will it just be difficult? That article makes it sound like the fins will just be complete assholes to me simply cause I have dark hair or I wont be totally fluent at first. Which is strange, because other people said that fins were shy and quiet, but not in a bad way... that makes it seem like people would be cold and rejecting.

Personally, what do you guys think? Are you really against foreigners, or do you think it'd be really hard for an American to live in Finland, or make friends? Cause part of the reason I dislike the US is that I feel so completely detached from everyone... so there wouldnt be any point to moving to a country where you feel just as alienated, only its really cold.

Well, in my opinion people in Finland generally are cold and rejecting, not just towards foreigners but towards each other as well. It seems to me that everyone's just so stuck in their little groups and it's really hard to force your way into any of those groups...or maybe it's just me. If you feel detached from everyone in the US I don't think moving to Finland would change anything...Personally I found it a lot easier to fit in in the US..

magica_de_spell said:
Well, in my opinion people in Finland generally are cold and rejecting, not just towards foreigners but towards each other as well. It seems to me that everyone's just so stuck in their little groups and it's really hard to force your way into any of those groups...or maybe it's just me. If you feel detached from everyone in the US I don't think moving to Finland would change anything...Personally I found it a lot easier to fit in in the US..

The thing is, I'm a guitarist, and I hope to get in a signed band at some point... I know you cant ever count on that happening, but I'm gonna try like hell, so I figured it'd be good to be in an area with a big metal scene... much like in the renaisance, alot of artists moved to milan or florence, I think being in Helsinki would give me a good perspective of metal today and give me a better chance of meeting other musicians.

Finnish is a Finno-ugric language. Very different from Germanic languages. :loco:

Like Heavenscent said, I too have heard/read that Swedish and Norwegian are influenced by Danish, though I can't confirm it. Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faroese (collectively known as the North Germanic languages) are all descendants of Old Norse.

Anyway, I'd like to visit Finland (among many other countries) sometime, don't think I'd live there though.

M. said:
I am under the impression that German is a pretty widespread language in northwestern europe.

Yeah it is pretty widespread. Concerning European nations, it is spoken as far east as Romania, and as far west as Iceland (supposedly widely spoken there... I hear Icelanders even have a hard time with their own language). Boredom and the CIA World Factbook is good for some things, I suppose :lol:

Honestly, I had little or no trouble making friends here, personally. In the metal groups anyway. Every time i went to a bar, after a few drinks we'd all be less shy(I'm a bit shy myself at first), and I ended up with a large group of aquaintances and friends here, some of them very close friends at this point.

On average, colder than other countries, but i had no problem.

Then again, I'm a female heavily into metal. Only half joking....I think that has something to do with it.

Fenrir13 said:
Honestly, I had little or no trouble making friends here, personally. In the metal groups anyway. Every time i went to a bar, after a few drinks we'd all be less shy(I'm a bit shy myself at first), and I ended up with a large group of aquaintances and friends here, some of them very close friends at this point.

On average, colder than other countries, but i had no problem.

Then again, I'm a female heavily into metal. Only half joking....I think that has something to do with it.

And I don't drink, so I guess that has something to do with me not fitting in in Finland or in the metal groups or anywhere basically..except for the church groups which I'm not interested in :D So yeah as long as you're into drinking I guess you'll be fine in Finland.

mevyhetal said:
Yeah it is pretty widespread. Concerning European nations, it is spoken as far east as Romania, and as far west as Iceland (supposedly widely spoken there... I hear Icelanders even have a hard time with their own language). Boredom and the CIA World Factbook is good for some things, I suppose :lol:
actually.... I know more english then I know Icelandic...and I keep fucking up while speaking it too.. but then again.... I lived in norway for about 4 years so I guess tahts why..