Fuck The End Records (rant inside)

Erik said:
ya rly. well in sweden at least, i'm not trying to be an ass or anything but you have been able to get phones with windows CE or some shitz on them that work as a pda and a phone and can play mp3's for absolute ages now

probably im missing 500 pounds of sarcasm right about now though

Yes man, you're missing the sarcasm. And it was even more poignant in that I aimed it at Mark because he is an iPOD advocate and has a PDA cellphone. I think he also has a wireless laptop so who knows where he's posting his thoughts. :loco:

Btw, if you remember Chief B, he's working for Orange now and supports "New Cell Technology" -- he sees shitz that the general public won't see for 3 years. These emerging technologies from Sony Ericsson in particular are amazing.

MadeInNewJersey said:
you don't even like cellphones though, so your opinion is null & void on the topic :loco:

Cellphones are fucking awful awful awful. They most annoying invention in the last century. :mad:

EDIT: Actually, it's the people who are so attached to them that they might as well fucking fornicate with the fucking things that piss me off most.

JayKeeley said:
Mark - the Kenwood new models look AMAZING. Like something out of "Pimp my Ride" :lol: Seriously, some of them even have LCD screens so you can view your video footage.

Right now, car manufacturers are ensuring all their cars off the factory line come equipped with USB ports. Believe it or not, this is going to be a "default":

usb180.jpg

And this on top of XM or Sirius....

that's awesome! doesn't help me much, but still, it's awesome!

JayKeeley said:
Yes man, you're missing the sarcasm. And it was even more poignant in that I aimed it at Mark because he is an iPOD advocate and has a PDA cellphone. I think he also has a wireless laptop so who knows where he's posting his thoughts. :loco:

I caught all of it. :cool:

:lol:

Doomcifer said:
Cellphones are fucking awful awful awful. They most annoying invention in the last century. :mad:

EDIT: Actually, it's the people who are so attached to them that they might as well fucking fornicate with the fucking things that piss me off most.

I'm attached to mine, I'm 100% lost without it. But I'm not the type of person you're thinking of, I guarantee that. I have celletiquette.

there are these Aux jacks available from most car manufacturers already for $30 or so ... that hook up to your car radio and you can plug in pretty much any portable audio device into it ... with no quality loss

MINI_auxinputmd.jpg

I have celletiquette too. Once I was on the train and somebody called me. I had to take the call but I spoke really softly. Once the call was over, I apologized to the lady sitting next to me and I think she almost fell off her seat in shock.

Text messaging is cool.

JayKeeley said:
I have celletiquette too. Once I was on the train and somebody called me. I had to take the call but I spoke really softly. Once the call was over, I apologized to the lady sitting next to me and I think she almost fell off her seat in shock.

Text messaging is cool.

that's great!

what is the most annoying is people who have these bluetooth devices, basically talking in the air and walking ... they look like they are talking to themselves

JayKeeley said:

Text messaging is cool.

I'm so addicted to texting people it's insane. :lol:

I almost always take my call in public, but not at a dinner table or anything, and yes, I have a cell voice, I'm not yelling (when I can help it). I meant things like keeping my ringer turned off unless I'm home or in my car, etc.

JayKeeley said:
@lurch - those AUX adapaters look like too much hard work for someone like me. Give me something iPOD ready:

KENWOOD-KCA-IP500.jpg

KENWOOD-KDC-W7031-KCA-IP500-200x200.jpg

etc

I'm with you Ali. As it stands already, every single VW, BMW, Honda & Audi that comes off the assembly line has a 3.5mm input jack already built into the stock stereo. I know some Saabs do as well, and I'm sure other Japanese and/or German autos do as well. Can't speak on the domestics, but they suck anyway, so who cares?

JayKeeley said:
@lurch - those AUX adapaters look like too much hard work for someone like me.

etc

they are really easy to install, 10 minutes tops

check with your car dealer, I am sure they have something for your stock stereo

Erik said:
heavy metal cares not for such petty shit

This is kind of the key point of the debate if you ask me. Interesting because I've always thought that this community was sort of cut off from the rest of the industry for a couple of reasons. I mean, maybe UM isn't representative of the greater metal world, but I've always thought that most of us bought albums instead of downloading them and that the ability to download was a tool, a means to an end (eg. sample music), not really the be all end all of how we obtain our music.

Don't metal folks generally believe that music is "art" as compared to "entertainment" and doesn't that viewpoint generally lead to us wanting the ENTIRE product, not just the base. And doesn't it also mean that we're more likely to want to support the artists, labels etc. because of how we feel about our "art"?

The "mainstream" is undoubtedly different than we are when it comes to this, so even if the "ipod age" reigns supreme there, how much are we really going to be affected by it? How many of us own record players, listen to vinyl and weren't born in the timeframe where that would have been a reasonable medium? A lot. I don't think ANYONE that listens to rap or pop or whatever owns a single tape let alone vinyl, so I think that at least speaks volumes for how disconnected we are from them and why all this mp3 nonsense isn't THAT big of a deal right now.

Music isn't the only thing I collect and I tend to think that this community has a "collector's mentality" where we cherish owning actual product whereas "normal" people who listen to one hit wonders, whatever is on the radio and used to buy entire CDs for one song are probably understandly going to turn to a cheaper alternative because they are transitional people that don't really care about high quality ALBUMS and listening to something that has been out since '85 and that they will continue to enjoy for the next 20 years. It's just a completely different thought process and even though this argument doesn't really apply to a lot that has been said in this thread, I still think it is an interesting discussion. So, how much does listening to metal differentiate us from everyone else and how does it dictate how we might be receiving our music in the future compared to them?