Fuck The End Records (rant inside)

I did through his post
no, i made some pretty different points in the post directed to you

and anyway, you've got your PMS strop of the month on anyway.
i'm making very valid points and am making more sense than you. remove all the "fuck"'s from my post if that makes you take me more seriously. it's not like i resorted to ad hominem attacks like you anyway, so right back at you, have a tampax

in fact, you're promoting the idea that the artist not get paid fairly.
not at all! well that i might hold some views of the sort is outside the scope of this discussion because i never said anything of the sort just now. i'm saying if the artist wants to deal with a label, then that is his choice and the work the label does for him needs to be supported! to bypass that and send money to only the artist is QUITE unfair to the label. that's it! and yeah, if you get ripped off, visit CORPORATE H.Q. with a knife or something. your original argument didn't include anything about only sending money to artists getting RIPPED OFF by the label -- this is a whole other fucking discussion.

as i understand it, you're saying that if an artist receives $0.70 a cd then he's getting ripped off -- which could or could not be true. if it's in the contract, he's not getting ripped off. period.

Yes because all artists live in sunny Sweden.
well that's a problem with america then, not with the concept of a label.

Erik said:
it's really very very simple and i doubt you would say to the face of, for example, the vendlus dude that comes here that "hey fuck you, i'm going to download this wolves in the throne room album and send them $5 because your work isn't worth shit!"

'cause that's what you're advocating

Erik, do you REALLY think that to be true? I swear, if you're trolling me here I'm going to rip your fucking head off.

There's not much I can do, but I did what I could for getting unhinged linked up with Joseph. OF COURSE I WANT TO GET SCALD SIGNED.

But look, some cunts out there are going to download the Wolves album instead of buying the CD. So the label AND artist loses out, right?

So for those people not willing to buy the CD, how about offering the possibility to "DONATE" some money towards the artist instead? Sure, they might not and steal it anyway, but hey, at least it's an option, and of course it'll be a lot cheaper than buying physical medium (in any capacity).

The label is going to have a job trying to survive, and the artist will continue writing music. The difference now is in deciding how to get that music out to the general public.

You guys bicker a lot, so I might be replying with something that's already been said.

I agree with JayKeeley, but I think that there will always be either record labels or something like it. I don't think people want to go searching all over the internet to find an album they want to download. Plus, it will help bands to have a centralized location that can "advertise" or recommend their album in one way or another. Basically like Itunes . . . I guess.

I think labels should offer the download of an album for like $5. As long as all artwork and that nonesense comes with it. I'm not ready to give up CDs yet, but I can see it coming.

MadeInNewJersey said:
There have been several studies that reflect people who D/L actually buy MORE, since they're able to better find & choose what they want to own, as opposed to being completely turned off by the whole process (i.e. from having bought too many "1-song albums" in the past, etc.).

I'm telling you this -- if the "general public" live in the portable MP3 world and buy CDs only to rip them to MP3 format anyway, and then those same CDs go off to collect dust, well what can I say, they're eventually going to STOP buying CDs.

Let's start living in reality here and look at down the road: the CD is just the medium to getting music from A to B. We live in an iPOD age now, the CD is becoming redundant.

I disagree.

They said the same thing about books, magazines & newspapers too, yet all still exist and in plentitude. Are sales the same as they were 40 years ago? Probably not. But if you're saying the physical manifestation and existence of music formats will be gone in the next 50-100 years, well I guess that's possible, but I don't care. I won't be here. :)

JayKeeley said:
I'm telling you this -- if the "general public" live in the portable MP3 world and buy CDs only to rip them to MP3 format anyway, and then those same CDs go off to collect dust, well what can I say, they're eventually going to STOP buying CDs.

Let's start living in reality here and look at down the road: the CD is just the medium to getting music from A to B. We live in an iPOD age now, the CD is becoming redundant.

This attitude is really starting to gain popularity. I'm actually undecided as to whether I'd prefer to download an album (to save money), or if I'd rather buy the CD and rip it and never listen to it again.

A year ago, I'd have said I'd buy the CD no doubt. But if I could download an album at a decent bit rate along with artwork for a cheap price, I'd probably do it.

Erik said:
why can't they "DONATE" to the label?

to solve it for both of you weans :lol:

the labels should really be setting up paid downloads to catch those customers who would just like to download it

in a conversation with a friend who owns an english label, he expected by the end of the year to be selling 60% download 40% cd
(most people on here would of course being of the more appreciative of art mentality want to have the psysical product..mp3s are nothing to me also)

a lot of the downloads talked about are to 'check out' the band

if you only like a few of those tracks illegally downloaded then go and pay to download the tracks you like
moral delema solved

this is becoming a necessity for labels wether they like it or not
unfortunatly, even though the costs are drastically less, no manufacture, postage, no distro etc the artist still seems to be getting a small cut from label downloads

Nate The Great said:
This attitude is really starting to gain popularity. I'm actually undecided as to whether I'd prefer to download an album (to save money), or if I'd rather buy the CD and rip it and never listen to it again.

A year ago, I'd have said I'd buy the CD no doubt. But if I could download an album at a decent bit rate along with artwork for a cheap price, I'd probably do it.

I'm telling you, you guys are in the minority. Hell, even Erik, who buys, rips to MP3, and never touches the CD again, are in the minority. MOST people who buy CDs bring them in their car, on travels with them, listen to them at home, etc.

You all need to stop thinking this tiny insignifcant niche places like the RC forum represent the "common" way of doing things.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I disagree.

They said the same thing about books, magazines & newspapers too, yet all still exist and in plentitude. Are sales the same as they were 40 years ago? Probably not. But if you're saying the physical manifestation and existence of music formats will be gone in the next 50-100 years, well I guess that's possible, but I don't care. I won't be here. :)

Amazing. Next 50-100 years? :lol: Dude, you're talking about this changing within the next decade, MAX.

It's called the "Information Age".

To be devil's advocate here:

Why buy a magazine when you can get the album reviews all over the web?
Why buy the NY Times when you can go to the web, or get real time headline updates on your cellphone / PDA?
etc
etc
etc
etc
etc

I buy magazines because I like to read something on the train or on the shitter.
I buy the paper because I want to take my time reading the sports updates.
I buy CDs because I like the artwork etc.

However, I am in the VAST VAST minority, but at least I recognize that. Seriously, let's start dealing with reality here.

JayKeeley said:
Amazing. Next 50-100 years? :lol: Dude, you're talking about this changing within the next decade, MAX.

It's called the "Information Age".

To be devil's advocate here:

Why buy a magazine when you can get the album reviews all over the web?
Why buy the NY Times when you can go to the web, or get real time headline updates on your cellphone / PDA?
etc
etc
etc
etc
etc

I buy magazines because I like to read something on the train or on the shitter.
I buy the paper because I want to take my time reading the sports updates.
I buy CDs because I like the artwork etc.

However, I am in the VAST VAST minority, but at least I recognize that. Seriously, let's start dealing with reality here.

No, you're not. You're very much in the majority. MOST people buy magazines, newspapers & books. MOST people buy CDs or whatever. The few 1000 people who hang out at UM.com or this forum, or other forums, are the minority.

It's weird to me how most of you here don't see that or even recognize it.

MadeInNewJersey said:
MOST people who buy CDs bring them in their car, on travels with them, listen to them at home, etc.

You own an iPOD, so:

Eventually you'll get a car stereo that comes with an iPOD adapter. One day, all car stereos will have this feature whether you want it or not.

People travel more and more for work and they don't want to carry a carry case full of CDs (like I used to). And what happens if you lose that CD carry case?

Listening at home is nice, but now people are buying speaker systems to plug into the iPOD device.

The concept of a physical device spinning on a pivot with an optical reader converting those bits and bytes into sound is archaic. Static memory isn't prone to scratches either.