ghost reveries is a weak album?

I've never really cared for GR except for Ghost and Baying, and even those songs seem less mature than anything on WS. A lot of people think WS is 'unfocused', but that's how I feel about GR. Unfocused, meandering, desperately trying to manufacture an atmosphere and often failing. Still a decent album overall, but better than WS??? Um, no.

Watershed's ''atmosphere'' is that of a vacuum. Totally random album.

I'm not a fan of boring, safe predictable music and I don't really care for excess of cohesion in the songwriting or anything, but c'mon there is no ending or beginning or bridges to connect almost anything on the album, I listen to the album and I detect 171617 different types of moods in the songs and I get confused as fuck, and that's not the only problem, because the music itself is mostly boring as hell. Nothing more, nothing less. Also I don't know why I'm explaining myself on this subject again, because i previously said what i didn't like about the album in other threads. I think I'm just repeating myself here and expressing my disappointment again. imoimo.
rant/

I've never really cared for GR except for Ghost and Baying, and even those songs seem less mature than anything on WS. A lot of people think WS is 'unfocused', but that's how I feel about GR. Unfocused, meandering, desperately trying to manufacture an atmosphere and often failing. Still a decent album overall, but better than WS??? Um, no.

+1

Seems like there is a schism appearing in the ranks of the Opeth clan ... GR vs WS ... I propose this is fought out at every single concert!

in both of them the only songs i really like listening to are the first 2 (not counting coil :erk:)

well..i think Ghost Reveries is a really good job after Deliverance, maybe i'm musically retarded about this is my opinion !!! and about Watershed, I have the feeling that there is something missing, something left unspoken, which is a great part of the album,the lyrics !!! all of us know that Mayh and Still Life lyrics make these albums awesome (I don't mean that the material stuff are bad , they kick ass haha ). I hope someone get my point :rofl:

I think Ghost reveries is a solid album until after the 5th track where it kind of loses its footing.

Ghost/Hounds/Mire combo is a pretty solid combo.

"well..i think Ghost Reveries is a really good job after Deliverance" i mean,GR is awesome comparin to Delivrance

Deliverance still is my favourite Opeth album ...
The main reason I was disappointed with GR for a long time, is exactly because it's so different from Deliverance and by far not as dark! But I had to get used to the difference, I appreciate it much more now, although I like WS still a lot more.

I don't get why people think that GR is so much of a disappointment. I like it very much and appreciate it, but for example if someone comes to me and tells me there's a thread like that about a specific Opeth album I wouldn't even doubt it to be GR.

By the way new smilies rock ! :Smokedev:

Ghost Reveries a weak album?

It is a beautiful album with many layers of musical styles - metal, prog rock all combined with a wonderful 70's feeling.

The first 4 tracks meld beautifully as one long story is told gorgeous vocals, supreme musicianship and excellent production. The whole album just gels very well and I do play it an awful lot.
It may be that listening to other metal music makes you realise that although there are other bands who play great music, only Opeth really offers a true variety of musical styles. Probably because noone else sounds quite like them. Maybe you only like pure metal with no keyboards?? Some people believe keyboards have no place in metal.
Well thats fine, but Opeth are not the average metal band are they?

"well..i think Ghost Reveries is a really good job after Deliverance" i mean,GR is awesome comparin to Delivrance

well...i think that both albums are great. deliverance cops too much flak; it is an excellent album.