Gigantour 2008; Megadeth, Children of Bodom, etc. confirmed

Cleveland Show (May 4)..

The show was very, very entertaining. I've never seen Bodom live.. and it was really worth the wait. When I got there, I noticed Roope signing some autographs and taking a few pictures with fans. I got to shake his hand and give him a little encouragement before the show! Anyways.. I thought Job for a Cowboy was OK.. Their instrumentals are pretty good.. but the singer has got to go. I couldn't understand 1 word he said in 30 minutes and it just sounded like non-stop screaming. It was almost too overbearing sometimes with the instrumentals..

Bodom was absolutely incredible! I've been waiting about a year to see them live (and I get to see them tomorrow as well)! Jaska, Henkka and Roope take playing very seriously and give it their all... Alexi I think was a little drunk.. He puked on stage after Next in Line (3rd song).. and he also tossed his Yellow/Black ESP across stage at the end of another song. I have no idea how the trust rod didn't break in half or the head didn't come flying off. He also attempted a 2nd guitar "fling" around his shoulder with the Yellow/Black ESP and banged the head of the guitar off the floor. Haha.. But his performance was absolutely amazing. He did get a little bit of a higher pitch than I expected.. but his playing was flawless. Janne managed to kill 3 bottled beers during the set and was drinking more alcohol (I presume) out of a cup! He was also really good to listen to though.. nailed everything he played. I must say, his idea of a "beer holder" on his Keyboard stand is absolutely genious!! If anyone else is going to see them @ Gigantour.. I saw a setlist up above.. and they played the exact same songs that I saw.. with Sixpounder being the first.

In Flames was absolutely amazing.. I was very, very impressed by them. I own 2 of their CD's and was never a huge fan until seeing them live. They are very melodic and sound much, much better in real life (especially the singer). They put on an incredible show and their lead guitarist played some very good solo's. Make sure you see in Flames if you go!

As for Megadeth, I must say I was disappointed. They played 4 songs from the Rust in Peace album, which I'm a huge fan of. All of the other songs I just wasn't very impressed with. Mustaine is an absolutely genious on guitar.. but when him and the lead weren't synced up or playing octaves.. their riffs almost seemed to muddy each other and you couldn't hear the guitars clearly. The bass guitar and bass drum was excessively loud and seemed to overpower the guitars. Also, their new stuff just didn't impress me. The lead guitarist solos through a limited amount of scales and plays very vertically.. doesn't seem to use much of the neck. The speed is also very monotonous.. no tempo changes. It got boring after a while listening to the solo's. I was a bit disappointed because they are absolutely amazing on guitar.. but the sound just got boring and repetitive after an hour. I'm glad I got to see Dave live though!

I hope everyone who gets to see Gigantour really enjoys the experience... It was definately worth going and I wouldn't miss this lineup!!!!

i sincerely doubt they would play next in line, especially on a show like gigantour since, to my knowledge, they've never played that song live before.

i sincerely doubt they would play next in line, especially on a show like gigantour since, to my knowledge, they've never played that song live before.

I apologize.. it was "In Your Face." I was damn tired after hearing that much rocking in one night. :headbang:

I also didn't realize Alexi played the Black/Pink ESP live. He played it for Hate me last night.

fuck saw em in toronto on gigantour, that show was TOO fuckin good.

living dead beat is quite possibly their best live song, also, in flames suprised the fuck outta me

used to hate in flames til i saw em live

Wow, I just found a boot from my show in Atlanta (in pretty good quality) just from trying to find pics from my show... still no pics, but I'll take the live audio over anything. I think I hear myself yelling ROOOOPE!!!! haha.

Just back from the headline show in Pittsburgh and it was great. Setlist was the same as the standard gigantour list PLUS: (in no particular order,pardon if I forgot one)

Hatecrew Deathroll
Tie My Rope
Bodom After Midnight
Mask of Sanity
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Needled 24/7

Best part is Opeth off date headlines here at same venue next week and penguins are in the conference finals. Pittsburgh doesn't suck so bad after all.

^Ah, now THATS a show I wish I saw. Too bad those were fit for the Gigantour as well.

I just got back from the Pittsburgh show as well. What a f***ing show!!! Just felt like quoting you because Roope had that shirt on tonight.

They played for 1:15 and Alexi threw up again tonight. I'm really not sure if he's sick or what. Didn't even take 1 sip of beer all night (while on stage). He was drinking something clear.. I'm not sure if it was hard liquor or what. Whatever is wrong with him, it sure didn't affect his playing. The crowd was absolutely insane!! I was 3 rows back right in the middle so I had a little trouble hearing everything.. but had a perfect view of Alexi :headbang:!! Hope everyone who saw the show tonight had a good time!

hmm...I'm still skeptical. I just don't like what in flames has become. I wish they had stuck with their old genre.

I can understand you being skeptical, I was until I saw them. I was so impressed with them because they were really, really into their playing. Nothing over the top, but looked liek they were having a lot of fun while doing it. They got a pretty cool light show as well. I just started playign guitar about 8 months ago and I really appreciated listening to their lead guitarist. He doesn't do anything over the top.. but he's got an incredible music mind. His rhythm changes keep you interested and he mixes up strumming 5th/6th/etc, power chords and arpeggiating. His Solo's also aren't anything over the top, but got some feel to them. They are really, really catchy live. I'd highly recommend seeing them if you get a chance. They play for about an hour on Gigantour '08.

i knew there was something wrong with alexi when i saw them here in Houston (April 17th)
after the show when we met him i noticed he seemed pretty annoyed, well more like under the weather. i even asked him if there was something wrong, ofcourse he wasn't gonna be all "yeah this is whats happening *rambles on*" all he said was "ummm well umm yeah, im alright." he kinda laughed a little it made me smile cause even though he was all frustrated he still stuck to his word on coming out after he went inside the bus.
ugh i keep bragging -_-
but wow, poor lil allu. i really wonder what's going on with him.

I can understand you being skeptical, I was until I saw them. I was so impressed with them because they were really, really into their playing. Nothing over the top, but looked liek they were having a lot of fun while doing it. They got a pretty cool light show as well. I just started playign guitar about 8 months ago and I really appreciated listening to their lead guitarist. He doesn't do anything over the top.. but he's got an incredible music mind. His rhythm changes keep you interested and he mixes up strumming 5th/6th/etc, power chords and arpeggiating. His Solo's also aren't anything over the top, but got some feel to them. They are really, really catchy live. I'd highly recommend seeing them if you get a chance. They play for about an hour on Gigantour '08.

I agree, Jesper is amazing. I absolutely love some of his old compositions like Moonshield and Everlost (both parts). He's one of my favorite metal composers. And yeah, I'll be seeing In Flames on May 21st for the first time, so I am excited about seeing Jesper. He's a great inspiration, and like you said, not for the over-the-top playing, but just his music in general.

Just back from the headline show in Pittsburgh and it was great. Setlist was the same as the standard gigantour list PLUS: (in no particular order,pardon if I forgot one)

Hatecrew Deathroll
Tie My Rope
Bodom After Midnight
Mask of Sanity
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Needled 24/7

Best part is Opeth off date headlines here at same venue next week and penguins are in the conference finals. Pittsburgh doesn't suck so bad after all.

dude i just say opeth on an off date and it fucking ruled