GMD Poll: Fates Warning's Discography Ranked

I'm still midway-through getting to know all of Fates Warning's albums. But from what I've heard No Exit is the bomb. "Anarchy Divine" is terrific, love they way it shifts gears almost seamlessly.

Perfect Symmetry
Awaken the Guardian
A Pleasant Shade of Grey
The Spectre Within
Inside Out
No Exit
Disconnected
Parallels
Theories of Flight
Night on Brocken
Darkness in a Different Light
FWX

yeah, the two of you better hurry up so we can wrap this shit up and move onto bigger and better things.

We're doing Burzum next from what I remember so I don't know if that's necessarily true.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Haven't heard much past Fallen. I'm not missing much from what I've checked out

Umskiptar is alright. From the Depths is rerecordings and Sol austan whatever and Ways of Yore are the most boring ambient horseshit you’ve ever heard.

From the Depths of Darkness is one of the few re-recordings that I don't think is half bad. Anyway, I have to really be in the mood to listen to Burzum these days. I don't think any of their albums would make it into my top 20 as far as black metal goes.

I hope I didn't miss the deadline for this.

1. The Spectre Within
2. Awaken the Guardian
3. Perfect Symmetry
4. No Exit
5. Night on Bröcken
6. Parallels
7. A Pleasant Shade of Gray
8. Inside Out
9. Disconnected
10. Theories of Flight
11. Fates Warning X
12. Darkness in a Different Light

I got lazy and ranked some of the albums off of memory, but the top 8 are based on more recent impressions. I don't like the direction they went in for certain albums but none of them are terrible.

Reactions: Burkhard and CiG
  1. Awaken the Guardian
  2. The Spectre Within
  3. Pleasant Shade of Grey
  4. Parallels
  5. Night on Brocken
  6. No Exit
  7. Inside Out
  8. Disconnected
  9. Perfect Symmetry
  10. FWX
  11. Theories of Flight
Of the discographies that we've done so far that I didn't know super well going in, this is my favorite. I've been a big fan of AtG and TSW for a while now, but I hadn't heard much of their other stuff. I'm super impressed. The top 8 range from great to very good, and even the bottom four are decent listens. Great call by the people who voted for this one.

Reactions: CiG
I hope I didn't miss the deadline for this.

1. The Spectre Within
2. Awaken the Guardian
3. Perfect Symmetry
4. No Exit
5. Night on Bröcken
6. Parallels
7. A Pleasant Shade of Gray
8. Inside Out
9. Disconnected
10. Theories of Flight
11. Fates Warning X

I got lazy and ranked some of the albums off of memory, but the top 8 are based on more recent impressions. I don't like the direction they went in for certain albums but none of them are terrible.
If you hadn't added no. 9 to 12 to your list, this topic would have allowed for double-alt-speculations never seen before.;)