223397.jpg

Average points per vote: 5/14

For Lies I Sire - My Dying Bride..

Brilliant album.
A must for any doom fan

10) Feel the Misery (2015)

R-7502943-1546995858-4603.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.2/14

For me I just don't get the chill - that feeling - that I get from their best work. This is a band whose best material is untouchable for atmosphere, and while I get some of it in 'Feel the Misery', I don't feel it as much as the band thinks I should, judging from the title. The keyboards and violin are in particular really soulless to me and largely tacked on.

9) 34.788% Complete (1998)

R-371156-1392422447-7622.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.5/14

34.788%...Complete is very inconsistent, but 'The Whore, The Cook and The Mother' and 'Der Uberlebende'are two of the best songs they've done.

34.788% complete is fucking awful, it's nothing like any of their other stuff and in my view it's soft and radio friendly

what do you believe are the most underrated album(s)??

i say:
My Dying Bride- 34.788%...Complete. yes, it's not like thier others, but still creavive and good. you have too listen to it from a different angle. don't think of it as being MDB.

8) As the Flower Withers (1992)

R-833456-1163458424.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.8/14

My Dying Bride 'as the flower withers' is without a doubt the best doom/death album and one of the most crushing albums period.

'As the Flower Withers' is the only Full Length of theirs that is REALLY good (and it is fucking amazing).

As The Flower Withers - Very raw and death-y, pretty good, but one of their weakest... theres some killer death metal on here like "The Forever People" though.

7) Like Gods of the Sun (1996)

R-2930939-1307880166.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.1/14

Although i dont think Like Gods of the Sun is THAT bad but it's definitely one of their weakest efforts and probably their most commercial sounding

Like Gods of the Sun has been my favourite since it came out, though they haven't really produced anything that's less than interesting, to be honest. LGOTS (as no-one in particular abbreviates it) has super-chunky riffage combined with weeping-into-a-lace-hanky maudlin moments.

Last edited:
6) Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)

R-6213822-1413893491-7698.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.4/14

Well I don't particularly think they are on a steady decline, SoDWoL is definitely not as good as its predecessor The Dreadful Hours, but that album is one of their best albums ever, so obviously they are not at the end of the line. My main gripe with the new album is although it sounds very good and is a good listen it lacks the excellent songwriting of some of its predecessors. Still a solid release, just shamed by some of their others...

Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light - Awesome album. Thier darkest, and probably most atmospheric.... songwriting is very epic, and overall relies more on atmosphere rather than guitar. I love the church-organ sound, the climax of track 3, the dreamy yet slightly-fucked feel of track 4, the creepy yet cool break in track 7, the awesome climax of 8, etc etc....

4) The Light at the End of the World (1999)

R-369614-1156078569.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.9/14

First place votes: 1 (@J.)

Personally i prefer The Light At The End Of The World, it is very melodic/melancholy-guitar driven, although most people tend to look down on that one. i don't know why, its one of their most epic and desolate sounding albums. so i guess thats my recommendation.

The only thing that bugs me about when they kinda returned to the old sound (starting on Light at the End of the World) is the lack of violins. Aaron's growls aren't quite as strong at times as well, though there's still a lot of excellent songwriting.

Last edited:
3) The Dreadful Hours (2001)

R-8901989-1471112904-1850.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.6/14

First place votes: 1 (@Podgie)

Just as I remembered. A much stronger and more focused album than Light at the End of the World. Aaron even comes close to matching the amazing wretchedness of his earlier work with some of his harsh vocals. Still would have been better with violin though.

This album doesn't seem to be getting the attention I believe it deserves. It wouldn't be pretentious for me to say this is an absolute masterpiece, a classic, better than anything else they've done.

I'd say The Dreadful Hours is my favourite, purely for the fact that it encompasses so many of MDB's previous styles and puts them together to make one great new sound.

The Dreadful Hours is sorely lacking two things. Calvin's guitars and Martin's violins. Those were the defining aspects, along with Aaron's voice, and his voice was the weakest of the three. They are writing some of the best songs they've written, but it is not played as well and it is not nearly as good without the violin.

2) Turn Loose the Swans (1993)

R-371055-1301005960.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 12.1/14

First place votes: 3 (@Oblivious Maximus @zerostatic @crimsonfloyd

like many said, turn loose the swans. this album is enough to make a band legendary. maybe the best doom album ever

I think that the swan is the symbol for the art, artistic freedom of the artist.
'Swansong' is the highest point of the artist's work, I think, and Turn Loose the Swans would be like, let your feelings flow, release your artistic creativity. Or something.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Turn Loose The Swans is like technical doom/death.

Reactions: zerostatic
1) The Angel and the Dark River (1995)

R-1347086-1536767198-2874.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 12.3/14

First place votes: 1 (@no country for old wainds)

I can't get enough of this album. I think it is one of the darkest and most sorrowful metal albums ever released. Such beauty and power in each song.

The Angel and the Dark River is my favourite MDB, just ahead of Turn Loose the Swans. I agree with childrengrinder, 'The Cry of Mankind' is just one of the most haunting, sorrowful pieces of music ever recorded.

The Angel And The Dark River. Thats so amazingly sad album. It has AWESOME violin parts. Get it right now, i dont care if you buy it or leech it, just get it.