GMD Poll: Nile's Discography Ranked

GMD waiting for @TechnicalBarbarity list
20200530_AMP002_0.jpg

But it's all good, I won't have time to do the results until Saturday anyways.

8) At the Gates of Sethu (2012)

R-3715437-1342681916-6709.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.2/9

Anyone had a chance to listen to this one yet? Just checked it out myself and honestly, I'm kinda disappointing in the production. To me, the quality is some reminescent to something of older 90's death metal production quality.

Other than that biff though, the record is pretty solid as far as Nile kicking ass.
Definitely kicked up a notch in the speed and riffage, imo. Almost has a thrashy tinge to it at points. Very tasteful, indeed. If this had better production value it'd sound even better. :headbang:

The production is badass. It isnt a wall of sound. Can finally hear things...very well.
Some killer riffs too, and Karls vocals are all over the place.
Love this disc! :kickass:

Reactions: CiG
5) Ithyphallic (2007)

R-2340516-1278148523.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.9

Ithyphallic was good but lagged too much.

I like all Nile, but Ithyphallic wasnt up to par

Ithyphallic had enough good material on it to satisfy me. But you are right, given the choice I would probably choose to listen to any other Nile cd.

Nile's latest release "Ithyphallic" I feel is some of their best material to date. Don't get me wrong, their older shit is my favorite... But this new album is just amazing, the drum work, the lyrical themes, the guitar works... And the two epic lengthed tracks make for a crushing album, check it out if you haven't already. :kickass:

4) Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka (1998)

R-3164266-1378284485-9251.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.77/9

First place votes: 2 (@Krow @Sirjack )

Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka might be my favorite Nile album. Its clearly not their best album though..

waif said:
Amongst The Catacombs is pretty much just plan brutal death with some eastern sounding stuff thrown in. Pretty solid, but nothing special.

I voted for Amongst the Catacombs of Nephrin-ka! . That was my first experience with the band and I realized they were something worth getting into . I also picked it for their use of weird instruments. Human skulls and shin bone flutes. lol . Pretty cool cd that is.

2) Annihilation of the Wicked (2005)

R-3002771-1311213201.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7/9

First place vote: 3 (@-CC- @TechnicalBarbarity @crimsonfloyd )

Whenever nile is brought up on these boards their early albums are always suggested. I remember asking about annihilation of the wicked before i bought it and was told it wasnt worth it. After lack of nile selection at the local cd store i bought it anyways, and since then it has remained imo the best work nile has ever done. This album is fucking brutal brutal brutal, fast paced pounding double bass drums and blistering guitar solos with the egyptian theme in mind (not so much as their old work though). I just wanted to know why this album is disliked given a few reasons with judgement.

as I stated in another thread, the drums are way way way way too low in the mix. Often times you can barely hear the blastbeats, and george's phenomenal drum work is wasted by poor sound engineering

The new Nile album Annihilation of the Wicked has the best drumming on a metal album I have ever heard in my life period. The speed, the precision, the kickass fills, its all perfect.

Basically every Nile album. I can't believe I haven't listened to them in so long, Annihilation of the Wicked was my bible when I was 13ish, and it's still as good as ever.

1) Black Seeds of Vengeance (2000)

R-8200912-1509867626-5197.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.4/9

First Place Votes: 4 (@zerostatic @J. @Allfader @Krigloch the Furious)

I actually think Black Seeds of Vengeance has the best atmosphere. The longer tracks towards the end of it are phenomenally well developed with ambience.

I like Black Seeds of Vengeance, but there are too many tribal interludes and shit.

my favorite song on black seeds is defiantly defiling the gates, that song is fuckin sick and it has that bad ass egyptian chant in it

I like Black Seeds of Vengeance, but there are too many tribal interludes and shit.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
Nice!
I don't know what it is about Nile, but they've been my favorite band for about 20 years now.
Fuck, that's crazy to think about.
Every release I'm like.. "yep, fucking love it"
People shit on At the Gate of Sethu, but the production was a fresh take for those guys. I think that's why I like Vile so much. It's a mix of the clean production, but still has an old'ish school feel to it. Guitars sound great, probably because Karl does it all in his home studio.
The reason why the first 3 are so good is because the drums are so in your face. You can hear every tom being played at a thousand miles an hour. Fucking love that.

Haven't seen them live since 2013. Was supposed to see them in 2018? but I was probably the sickest I've ever been and couldnt go.