GMD Poll: Dio's Discography Ranked

I put it near the bottom because it was one of my least favourites

Guess I’m striking out on this one. I’d have to download all but the first 4 and put them on my MP3 player, listen to them at work this week to even hear most of the albums for the first time. My votes would be fairly shaky at best.

1. Holy Diver
2. Sacred Heart
3. Last in Line
4. Dream Evil
5. Lock up the Wolves
6. Magica
7. Killing the Dragon
8. Strange Highways
9. Master of the Moon
10. Angry Machines

Super solid discography. Holy Diver is the only truly great album, but 2-9 are all good to very good albums. Even Angry Machines, which I think is the most mediocre of the lot, still has some strong cuts on it.

10) Angry Machines (1996)

R-579251-1400678754-8564.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 1.7/10

9. Angry Machines - a lot of rehashed stuff and overall dreary atmosphere, but in a couple songs it actually works pretty well and it avoids being absolutely terrible, 4/10

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
9) Magica (2000)

1332.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.3/10

I just picked up Magica and I must say its pretty good.

Magica is the only forgettable album but other than that, no completely terrible albums.

Listening to Magica and this definitely isn't that bad, although now I realize you're probably talking about the people putting it near or at the very bottom. The problems are that

1. Lord of the Last Day is a weak Shame on the Night retread and a bad choice for the first proper song
2. The choruses are pretty basic and repetitive
3. So are the riffs though at least some of them have a good groove

But the album has Losing My Insanity and that alone should put it above Master of the Moon on anyone's list, better synth panflute metal than the entire relevant Noktural Mortum songography put together.

Last edited:
8) Master of the Moon (2004)

48694.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.2/10

Wath do you think of the new Dio Cd Master of the moon?

Personnaly i find it a bit calmer than his other cds like the last in line, Holy Diver and other. Anyway its still good to see that Dio is still making music even at his age.

I agree Dio was absolutely consistent, I would add not recognized enough for his excellent solo career. The only album I had a hard time getting into was Master of the Moon, which at that point he was pretty old.

7) Lock up the Wolves (1990)

R-1224553-1432674058-9545.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.7/10

I think Lock Up the Wolves is greatly underrated. He had a guitarist on that album that appears on no other albums (except some super unknown band called DC4). The guy is a diamond in the rough, excellent riffage on that album. Especially tracks 6, 7, 8, 10 but the whole CD is good. Been spinning that every day in my car for over a week now.

solarfall_ said:
I don't know why I made a stupid thread like this, but what metal songs do you all think is sexy? Or one you can see chicks stripping to..? :p Today I found Dio's "Lock Up the Wolves" to have sexy soloing, riffs, etc.

Reactions: CiG and Baroque
5) Sacred Heart (1985)

dio-sacred-heart.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.7/10

Sacred Heart - rank at its worst and there's definitely a strong aura of lost inspiration, but still manages a few great songs and moments, 5/10

I reordered my list after listening to Sacred Heart. First three Dio records are unbelievably good and consistent.

Sorry to interrupt mid countdown, but what discography is next? I can’t remember.

Tonight I'll post the next nomination thread and while that's going on we'll vote on Rush's discography.

There isn't one. We were going to do a Rush one next but I don't think there are enough people here interested in that.

We're gonna try it. I'm pretty sure it can get 8-10 votes, which is enough to make these threads valid. And if it busts, it's no big deal. We'll just move on the next metal band that gets the most votes.

Reactions: The Ozzman and CiG
2) The Last in Line (1984)

Dio-The-Last-In-Line-album-cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

Average points per vote: 8.3/10

In terms of the songs themselves, not the full albums:

The Last In Line > Holy Diver.

The Last In Line is the single best song Dio ever put out as a solo band.

My most prized clothing is my Last In Line tour shirt signed by Dio himself.

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
1) Holy Diver (1983)

603497864508.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.7/10

First place votes: 7 @TechnicalBarbarity @Atomic Tide @CiG @crimsonfloyd @Slammed @Baroque @The Ozzman

Holy Diver is the best heavy metal album ever

so... is holy diver overrated or what?!

Holy diver is about the powerest metal ever. Epic shit.

Holy Diver is easily one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever.

Holy Diver is awesome. Dio is awesome, and one of metals greatest singers.